Broken wheel hub bolt!!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
HachiRoku

while rotating my tires today, i managed to break one of the wheel bolts when the nut somehow manage to jump threads....i think it already jumped threads because it was hard to twist in the first place

anyway, assuming that the bolt is all i need to replace, are there any special tools and procedures i have to take when replacing this bolt? it seems like i just have to remove the brake caliper and rotors, then pull the wheel bearing and wheel hub off the axle housing off to get to the bolt.

someone please check me on that and post the proper steps and tools to take when doing this task....i've never worked on wheel related stuff and want to make sure i have everything right so i don't put this task off to have to get more parts/tools because i don't have time to do so.

thanks

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Its not that difficult, really. Remove your wheel. Remove the two bolts that hold the brake caliper mounting bracket to the spindle (mine are 17mm). Pull the entire bracket/caliper assembly off the rotor. Pull the brake rotor off. Remove the broken lug from the back of the hub and install a new one. You will likely need to get a big pair of pliers or similar, then open up your brake fuild resevoir, then push the caliper piston in a little with the pliers, and reinstall the whole assembly. Put it all back together and you should be finished.

HachiRoku

do i have to remove the brake lines and cables before removing the caliper?

what do i need to remove the rotor? It seems that there are holes to screw studs in to get the rotor out, so if that's it, what kind of bolt will i need?

will i have to pull the hub off, or is there enough room to put the new stud in?

how do i install the new stud? it seems to be held by splines, so i would need a clamp of some type or do i hammer it in if i take the wheel hub out?

I bought the stud but the brake system looks intimidating and wanna make sure i don't break anything because i really never worked on brakes and axle related stuff before.

HachiRoku

with the help of my friend's dad, i managed to change my wheel hub bolt....i'll do a write-up later

1991240xs

it's really simple...you don't have to do anyhting to the brake lines..but it's safe just to take the top off of the brake fluid resevoir when working with them...two bolts to take off caliper...then get a rotor puller from an autostore(comes in very handy)...and pull the rotor..some cars it comes right off..some it doesn't...then just pound out the old bolt...and pound in the new one with a hammer(and be easier with that lug wrench next ya beast..lol)...then apply it all back..you might have to compress the caliper..which can be done with a pair of big pliers..but is best done with a tool..looks like a giant clamp that just slowly compress the piston back in-0

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”