Broken steering rack bushing

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Silverhorn
Car: 1999 Infiniti Qx4

Haha. Alignment was good. I'm happy and the car drives great again! I couldn't tell about the bushing until I was taking it out.. :/ and my bad for not being clear :D

AlanAZ
Car: 2003 QX4 rwd

I replaced the 2003 model steering rack bushings with Nissan factory replacements for about $16 ea. from Amazon. It took 2 people about 1.5 hrs. The left side (driver) Nissan bushing has dimples on it that provide extra grip on the rack that after-market bushings may not have. And for the same reason, I don't think that hard and slippery polyurethane would be optimal here. The new bushings did correct a litany of steering issues with my truck: It would wander down a straight flat road, the faster you drove, the worse it would be. Hitting a bump or pot hole would cause the steering to shake considerably, and worst of all, making a turn across the concrete gutters that we have on minor intersections here in the PHX area, or over a rounded curb driveway, would make the steering saw back and forth. If you are having the same symptoms, I recommend replacing these bushings.

The old bushings with 123K mls, all in the hot, dry climate of the Phoenix area were intact and looked OK in place. But once they were removed, you could see how much most of the bushing was permanently compressed from the areas where the original thickness was intact, and how hard and not grippy the rubber had become. A similar hardening effect had occurred to my front sway bar bushings:

For the 2003 model, we had to unbolt the A/C belt tensioner (and tuck it above the center of the rack - it has wiring that is cable tied to it, and difficult to detach) to get to the upper left (driver) side bolt. Before loosing the tension on the belt, tighten it bit to see how much tension to put on it upon reassembly. Unbolt a couple of hose clamps and the oil filter spill drain so that the rack is free to move. We were then able to use a breaker bar to loosen the 22mm bolts, lever the rack from the back half of the brackets, remove and install the new bushings.

The FSM recommends a tightening order: driver side first, bottom bolt before top, then passenger side, bottom bolt before top. Torque: 157 - 186 Nm (16 - 18 kg-m, 116 - 137 ft-lb)

AdamPr75
Car: 2002 Nissan Frontier SE 4WD

I was hoping you could help clarify what you replaced. I looked up steering rack bushing and called my local dealer parts department, but was told my '02 Frontier doesn't have rack and pinion steering. The problem you've described is exactly what my truck is doing - also in Phoenix. I've gone to two shops and they pretty much want to replace my entire suspension and steering systems ($6700). I think they don't know what's actually going on and replacing everything is a way to guarantee a fix. Can you send a link to the parts you purchased on Amazon? I really appreciate your post.

macgiver

IF no rack and pinion ,,,,and IF it's like the " re-circulationg ball " type steering ' box ' ??? They ALSO will have spec's on adjusting the backlash / pre-load - much like a rack'n pinion pre-load adj spec ! Something to consider IF yur all over the road ,ya?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

AdamPr75 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:32 pm
I was hoping you could help clarify what you replaced. I looked up steering rack bushing and called my local dealer parts department, but was told my '02 Frontier doesn't have rack and pinion steering. The problem you've described is exactly what my truck is doing - also in Phoenix. I've gone to two shops and they pretty much want to replace my entire suspension and steering systems ($6700). I think they don't know what's actually going on and replacing everything is a way to guarantee a fix. Can you send a link to the parts you purchased on Amazon? I really appreciate your post.
Your Frontier has an old-school steering linkage. No rack and pinion assembly, so those bushings are not for you. I replaced mine a few years back with a pair I got from Amazon. They tightened up my steering response quite a bit. My steering wear and tear issue was mainly due to worn out outer tie-rod ends and knuckle ball joints. These tie rod ends are like ball joints. My Pathfinder has only 2 of these ball joint-like connections in the steering assembly, plus the 2 knuckle ball joints, as you can see in the parts illustrations below.

Your Frontier has 6 of these ball joint-like connections in the steering assembly, 2 inner and 2 outer tie-rod ends and 2 on the steering rod that connects to the idler and pitman arms, plus 4 knuckle ball joints on the upper and lower control arms. All of these ball joints wear out in time and I would bet that is where your problems lies. I circled all of those Frontier joints in the parts illustrations below.
Attachments
Frontier Steering Linkage.JPG
Frontier Front Suspensin.JPG
QX4 and Pathfinder Steering Rack.JPG
Pathfinder Front Axle.JPG

AdamPr75

mdmellot - I can't thank you enough for your response and the time you took to prepare it. Parts are ordered. I'll install and have it aligned. Thank you again.

macgiver - Thank you, too. This has been a challenge. I really appreciate everyone weighing in.

macgiver

Adam .....go see my last " whatcha listenin to " .................." You Can Do It " :bigthumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrPVSz3bBq4

AdamPr75

:chuckle: :chuckle:
macgiver wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:56 pm
Adam .....go see my last " whatcha listenin to " .................." You Can Do It " :bigthumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrPVSz3bBq4

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”