Broken Bolt Spark Plug Coil Hold Down

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
dh51334
Car: 2012 Infiniti EX35

Has anyone ever removed a broken bolt from an EX35 spark plug coil hold down? I replaced my spark plugs and a bolt broke when I was attaching the last hold coil hold down. No, I was not over tightening it. It was going in with a squeaking noise and snapped. It looks like the bolt actually goes into an insert in the valve cover. I tried an easy out/extractor to no avail. Can those brass inserts be replaced? It looks like they are simply pressed into the cover with the grooves. HELP!!! The cover is expensive. Car still runs perfectly but I'm not sure the plug stem will stay attached for long without being secured.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

I'm not sure if you'll be able to source those specific threaded inserts Nissan uses, though you should be able to find something else that would work.

What's the extent of the damage? Is the bolt still stuck there? Curios to know what different options you're thinking about trying for a fix.

dh51334
Car: 2012 Infiniti EX35

I'm going to take the cover off and take a look. The bolt is still in there, broken off. I tried drilling it and using an easy out. No luck.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”