Bringing my sr swapped s13 back after sitting for 7 years in storage

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
azsr20det
Car: 1991 s13 240sx w/ sr20det redtop

So its a long read but plz bear with me as I need the help of experts (need to make a new image hosting acct to post pics but in the meantime they on my instagram page - @09civicguy )

So a little background, I purchased my 240sx fastback back in early 2010. The car needed work but the motor was freshly rebuilt/swapped (sr20det redtop with t28 oem s15 turbo) and ran strong. I spent countless man hours making it look like less of a turd and more showy.

Amongst the things I did were
Repainted the car's exterior from matte rattlecan white to sonic blue pearl with blue metalflaked clear, removed all the interior, scraped out the sound deadening, resprayed the interior, cleaned up the battery relocation, replaced the lap seatbelt (prior owner pulled the automatic shoulder straps) with the oem jdm 3 point belts, replaced the detoriating leather driver and pass seat with a racing bucket and oem cloth seat, added a nardi wheel and nrg qr hub, COMPLETELY REDID the dash, glovebox door, shift bezel, and cluster bezel in real carbon fiber, threw on a new high flow cat and catback and so much more but then ran out of time and money and went away to school so my beautiful car sat in storage without being started or driven for years. Now I have my own house and garage and when my ex and I split and moved out I was able to tow the car home from storage and want to bring it back and do what I always wanted to do to it.

So I went on a bit of a shopping spree, ordered a 4pc kit, some wheels (18x9 & 10.5, ET 25 and 20), 5 lug hubs to convert it so I can actually put on said wheels), since hubs coming off anyways picked up dual caliper rear brackets, a second set of calipers and lines, the lil fluid tank for my hydro handbrake I bought years back to put on, replacment glass for the side mirror that fell off and broke, the door panels it was missing, seat rail for the passenger bucket (have had the other bucket seat and 4pt harness in the closet for 7 years now lol) built a new high pressure PS hose to hopefully get ps back) new fluids and other misc stuff.

All that aside, now that ive got the stuff I have a few questions in regard to bringing the car back to life, and was hoping the awsome community here could hopefully provide some answers.

1. My gas gauge doesnt read properly. When I put gas in it back when it ran the needle didnt move. Any ideas? Part of me thinks the floater came off in the tank so i plan to check that today.

2. Im replacing the old fluids, as they have been sitting and probably settled, is there anything special I need to do other than cleaning out the old stuff and putting in the new stuff? Mainly for the engine oil itself, and the turbo

3. The trim around the gauge cluster, even with the steering wheel removed I cant seem to get it into place because the handle for adjusting the steering colum height is in the way and I dont see a way to just get the handle off. Does anyone know a trick to wiggle it in there? Im afraid to use any force at risk of breaking a custom 1of1 carbon piece

4. For the high pressure ps hose, im fairly certian I figured out what one needs to come off and get replaced but not 100% sure, its real difficult to tell in the youtube videos what people are pointing at and doing; i think i figured it out but one of the ends wont loosen, and the other (thats going into the rack) the threaded part unscrewed fine but will not come out. Like its fully unscrewed and pulled back but the line itself wont pop out.

Think thats it for now, im sure ill have more as i go. Any help or advice would be immensely appreciated

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Sometimes life gets in the way of things. I hope all works out for you. Sounds like it is, because you're back in the game! ;)

I'd use the FSM in conjunction with write-ups and videos. One for your chassis and another for the engine. You have those from our website right? http://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

1 - I think there's tabs/ contacts in there that get corroded. Plan for pulling the pump out and cleaning some stuff up in there.

2 - Circulation of the fluids happens during use (why it's important to run and engine every now and then). So, swap them out, drive and tune for a while, then plan for another fluid swap in the near future.

3 - I'm not sure what the issue here is. I've not had to remove the lever ever. Take off the trim around the column for room if you haven't already. Move the lever loose and down out of the way while putting in the bezel. There might be a tiny bit of flex to the bottom half. I don't recall if I had the stalks unscrewed and out of the way or not... don't think so.

4 - I'd think that power steering line was just a plug and socket with the threaded band (check FSM before applying too much force), so you should be able to wiggle it free from the rack. Maybe spray some PB Blaster in there and let is soak.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”