Brighter Headlights

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
lilmoose
Car: 2007 Nissan Pathfinder

I have a 2007 Pathfinder LE with all OEM equipment. I would like to increase the brightness of the headlights and am wondering if replacing the OEM bulbs with an LED bulb is possible and if this would make the lights significantly brighter.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Yes and yes, but that's about all I know regarding an LED upgrade. The cost and wiring hassle for the LED conversion was never worth it to me. I simply purchase higher wattage bulb upgrades and avoid the trouble. Hella makes a very bright bulb that would be a plug-n-play for your '07. https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-100-80WTB- ... H59Y7?th=1 I can't vouch for the quality, since I have never tried their product before. I've never seen a higher wattage bulb than these from Hella but the reviews regarding life expectancy are not consistently good. Philips and Sylvania have reputable quality bulbs that offer upgrades over the standard OEM bulbs as well.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Pretty much what mdmellot said.
Thought the newer aftermarket LEDs are suppsoed to be less problematic.
I have had great expenriences with these.
https://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detai ... odClar=4wd

The 9007 upgraded halogens form Phillipos come in different levels of extra "oomph"
The more extra the shorter lasting... but generally are said ot last longer than the equivalent Sylvania's

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

I can't speak to any specific LED retro for these, but in general (as in, like, always) they do put out more light, but are not like a brighter bulb. The optics are not correct. They throw light everywhere, but not necessarily further, and in some cases are blinding to oncoming traffic. Not that they'd likely be worse than many current OE lights, such as Chevy pickups in particular, but in case you're concerned about it. The difference between a flood light and a spot light.

Picture this, you pull up in front of your garage and see two beams, somewhat focused, slightly lower than the headlights, with modest brightness. That's your lighting now. Or you pull up in front of your garage and the whole garage door is brightly lit. That's LEDs. They are brighter, but given the optics involved don't necessarily give you any more distance. But more light, even if not any further might be of use as long as they aren't too bad in the glare dept. (the preceding was an oversimplification, but hopefully you get the idea)

lilmoose
Car: 2007 Nissan Pathfinder

Thanks guys for your feedback. I recently drove a Hertz rental (2023 Altima) and was shocked at how much brighter the headlights were compared to my Pathfinder. I didn't investigate what type of bulbs the Altima had but thought they might be LED's. One thing I noted was that the Pathfinder lights seems to be a warmer color (a little yellowish) whereas the Altima's were more cool (more blue-white). That alone may be a large part of why the Altima lights seem much brighter. I think I'll try the brighter bulbs mentioned by mdmellot as that would be a low-cost experiment to see if it brightens up the road for me.

fixer3
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Wonder if headlamps have enough adjustment to operate high beams at the low beam angle?

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

fixer3 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:53 pm
Wonder if headlamps have enough adjustment to operate high beams at the low beam angle?
Probably do.
but also it sounds like your halogens might be just getting old too.
Often they fail not by burning out but by losing power a bit every season.
A fresh set of quality Phillips bulbs of a rating with extra light should ehlp you.
But also I heard that the new LED kits mimic the OEM light patterns much better.

Also your LE has fog lights does it not?
play around with the adjustment on them.
I found a fresh set of extraa output halogens makes them great helpers to the lowbeams ina rainy night when you struggle to see urban unpainted curbs and the like.
You will have ot adjust those fogs up a bit, just exercise some care, to not blind other folks.

fixer3
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Was only wondering for the OP. When I occasionally do need more light I simply turn the HighBeams on.
Stock bulbs are ok with me too, it’s newer car headlamps that are the problem as they can be close to blinding. Otherwise people can see me and I can see them. I wouldn’t mind higher lumen neutral K halogens but I’m paying a premium for performance and they’re delivering ultra short lived lamps, so that’s a pass.
But there’s plenty of room lower in the bumper for some Hella’s etc., so if it were my choice I’d start there.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”