Brian Crower Parts? Good or no?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Nismo240SseX
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx SE Hatchback KA24DE

Are Brian Crower parts any good. I am thinking about buying some for my 240sx when i get it. I would be buying cams, valves, valve spring, and retainers. Basically i am going to be doing head work.

Also how hard is it to swap everything?

liquid_cool
Car: 1990 240sx ka24de-T swap 8.6:1cr ,duelsprings ,ti retainers,supertech pistons,K1 H-beems balanced internals ect ect.

I run BC internals and have no issues with them...it seems to me that your kinda new to the realm of building ..considering you donot know the crower name...i think sire you should reaserch somemore before you dump huge amounts of coin on BC parts and make a target horsepower to reach for..then get back to us on the forum and we can point ya in the rite direction.

Nismo240SseX

I know they have been around for awhile and i have heard mixed reviews on them, that is why i came here. To see if any one had their parts in 240s because i am going to be owning one here shortly. After I do all the internal engine work i am going to be turboing the car. I want around 300 whp. Now i understand there is a lot more factors than just turboing a car to make that.

480sx
Car: 1996 Pearl White 240sx

Never, EVER associate BC with Crower. Ever.

Crower makes top quality stuff thats used by professionals everywhere and has been around since the stone age.

GODCHSR
Car: 1996 Nissan 240sx

What?

Bongpain
Car: 92 240sx

you know what; i will let you know how BC do when i finish putting it all together. truthfully they still share some info and uses the same manufacture. lol still in the family i think. i will run all BC see how they hold up. + BC are a bit cheaper. i will pull a mythbuster on this one. LOL

liquid_cool
Car: 1990 240sx ka24de-T swap 8.6:1cr ,duelsprings ,ti retainers,supertech pistons,K1 H-beems balanced internals ect ect.

Bongpain wrote:you know what; i will let you know how BC do when i finish putting it all together. truthfully they still share some info and uses the same manufacture. lol still in the family i think. i will run all BC see how they hold up. + BC are a bit cheaper. i will pull a mythbuster on this one. LOL
i just diald in my N?A build ka24de with Brian Crower internals...stage 3 cams , duel springs retainers..ect...runs like a beast!...im lookin close to 175ish at the wheels..possibly..and i still have some tweeking to do!..not only do they make excellent items..there good guys there to and easy to work with..btw..crower..and brian crower products..are one and the same from what i know.

Nismo240SseX

liquid_cool wrote:
i just diald in my N?A build ka24de with Brian Crower internals...stage 3 cams , duel springs retainers..ect...runs like a beast!...im lookin close to 175ish at the wheels..possibly..and i still have some tweeking to do!..not only do they make excellent items..there good guys there to and easy to work with..btw..crower..and brian crower products..are one and the same from what i know.
Did you do just head work or the whole engine rebuild?

sorrowfulkiller

GODCHSR wrote:What?
What he's saying is that brian crower and BC Racing are two completely different companies

joenismos15
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx SE

I had a set of Brian Crower V2 Cams one of them Bent and took my whole head out. Brian Crower replaced the cams for free got about 1000miles on the new set on no problems so far.

Bongpain

well i don't know how it will handle with a fully built sr. hope it hold up to at lease 350hp minimum. i really don't see why not. my buddy ran BC on his 509 awhp in his EVO, and it stood up to the challenge; then he took it out in like a week. soooo..

liquid_cool

Nismo240SseX wrote:
Did you do just head work or the whole engine rebuild?
i did the intire engine from the ground up..blueprinted!..i did my NA build for the precurser to my high boost build coming..kinda test the waters build for the ka24de...look at the myspace link for more info..thanks for askin:)

Nismo240SseX

No problem i am probably going to be doing the same route. I am going to do the head work first then the bottom end. I am going to get their stroker kit or call them to see if i can just get the crankshaft from the kit.

youngun21a
Car: 240sx 1993 Automatic

I use BC too and had no problems with them except i use stage 2 cams same as liquid_cool but not stage 3..and had no problems..then headgasket went.and when i removed it my pistons where black on each corner.. and only had 9k on the engine.. not trying to thred jack..

Tycar
Car: none

i had V3 cams on my KA24DE-T. they ran without problem but the real performance boost will be when you dial in the cams. Make sure you or someone else you know has the patience and facilities to do it right. (dyno, etc)

Space Monkey
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

Nismo240SseX wrote:No problem i am probably going to be doing the same route. I am going to do the head work first then the bottom end. I am going to get their stroker kit or call them to see if i can just get the crankshaft from the kit.
Good luck....I called them for that part and they quoted me $1500 just for the crankshaft!

Bongpain

why would you want to replace your crankshaft? the stock stuff is just as good. just have the machine shop clean it up and balance it. NO??

Nismo240SseX

I have a performance shop(allspeed performance) around my house that has a dyno I dont know what kind it is but they have one.

youngun21a: you are not thread jacking so no worry and thanks for the picture. What happened exactly, i know you said your head gasket went but damn those are some burns.

Space Monkey: that is not too bad for a balanced crank i think. their kit is $3000. so with the $1500 you have you can go buy different pistions and different rods and rings that maybe be better.

youngun21a

Don't really know what happen it was running fine.left work step on it like i always seen a big puff of white smoke in front of the engine pulled over hear a hissing sound like air was escaping called a toll truck next day pulled it apart that what i seen.might have been running rich it has never overheated or gone above normal..the valves where clean no oil on them or nothing...will keep looking for answers and will see.. ohh and it didn't overheat when it happen no oil in water and oil was clean too.

The Stig

You can tear down a head and replace all the components in a matter of hours. What I did was rent the valve spring compressor at Kragen, or your favorite parts store, and then use an oxygen sensor socket to assist in compressing the valve spring since it is recessed in the head.

480sx

Bongpain wrote: truthfully they still share some info and uses the same manufacture.
Truthfully, no, no they dont.

Crower is an OG domestic dude who makes incredible products with the some of the strictest quality control in the industry. His son came of age and became part of his business. Didnt work out, and his son Brian started his own company separate from Crower.

turbor1

Iam not 100percent sure on the feedback of BC parts in the nissan world, but on my old supra everyone raved about the BC parts being much better quality then the crower parts. Me personally i've ran BC springs/retainers and cams and had no problems at all. Customer service is leaps and bounds better then crower as well

liquid_cool

youngun21a wrote:I use BC too and had no problems with them except i use stage 2 cams same as liquid_cool but not stage 3..and had no problems..then headgasket went.and when i removed it my pistons where black on each corner.. and only had 9k on the engine.. not trying to thred jack..
normally after running a new engine..if ya pulled it apart..all the pistons would have been black..the reason yours only show a small amount..is that when you blew your gasket..coolant rushed in..it acts like a cleaning agent and just whiped away the carbon build up is all...its normal ..hoppe this enlightend ya a bit on that man.

youngun21a

It sure has man thanks..just waiting on my 24 bolts to come in so I can turn it on..the ones that hold the cams down..

Nismo240SseX

Thanks for all the feedback. I greatly appreciate it. It is a lot of help.

Cone Junky
Car: S13 fastback
BMW e46 328i

From BC's website

Brian Crower grew up at Crower Cams & Equipment Company, where he headed up the Crower Sport Compact division since its inception. With Crower Cams heavily focused on the V8 market, Brian saw an opportunity to truly support the needs of the Sport Compact community. With the support of his family, Brian Crower Inc. was formed to deliver the highest quality internal engine components for a variety of popular engine platforms

I don't see how his quality would be different then the original Crower company.

DroptopDrifting
Car: 94 240sx limited edition se convertible

whether BC gets along with Crower or not, BC is one of the most reputable companies when it comes to headwork on a ka if you ask me. i've never really heard any bad feedback about them, and the little bit i have heard isnt too credible. most of the real reputable guys on here would probably vouch for that.

480sx

^^ I woudlnt.

DroptopDrifting
Car: 94 240sx limited edition se convertible

480sx: please elaborate. any input for this guy will help him out im sure. what products have you used and why do you feel they are below satisfactory?

i dont have any personal experience with BC products in my own personal car, just in my friends builds'. i helped 2 people install the v2 camshafts for the ka, they love em. both have been in use for over a year now. i have another friend who did springs, retainers, v3 camshafts, about 2 or 3 yrs ago and he had a small problem, forgot exactly what it was but it had something to do with not lining the shafts up with the gears correctly or some stupid s***. but in both cases, the products themselves show minimal wear and they seem to have all been machined on point. in my little experience, BC seems to make good products. i'm not saying they're better than other good companies, im just sayin i would rate them right there alongside them.

oh, and i have no personal experience whatsoever with Crower. i thought they were only for v8 applications.... never looked into what they make for the 240. my domestic buddies talk about crower all the time.

Nismo240SseX

Thank you DroptopDrifting. All the help is needed since i am looking to own one in a month or so.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”