BREAKING: 2016 Q50 Red Sport 400 Unveiled

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
EmmEff
Car: 2013 M56x Sport

400 HP 3.0 V6, real (non by-wire) steering, and more...

http://infinitinews.com/en-US/infiniti/ ... experience

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

About goddamned time!

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Dang it, you guys beat me to it!

bundy26
Car: 2011 Buick Regal turbo

If there's a new Z, this engine needs to be in it

RicerX

I'm pretty pumped about this. The power output here is within punching distance of the current gen BMW M3. The new wheels are pretty freakin nice compared to the current Q50S, but I still say a forged Rays wheel should be the standard option on this new Q50 Red Sport 400 (wtf naming dude?)

The 7AT is revised, the standard steering (the one with a physical rack) has been revised, and the DAS steering has been revised. No word on if the car gets a real limited slip differential though, and no word on the potential availability of a manual transmission.

However, you know there will be a compatible manual should they stuff this sweet twin turbo V6 into the next Z car.

I would really like to drive it.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Long over due.... sorry I had to jump ship.

Checkered Flag
Car: G37X 2009

I've been waiting with my 09 G37X.....for Infinity to do something. Now THAT'S something!! Please tell me they aren't all red, that color is worth 3 speeding tickets just sitting there!

Checkered Flag
Car: G37X 2009

So the sport 400 is Back Wheel drive only?? I need Infinity AWD back wheel dominate or else I won't be able to drive in snow.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... ive-review

RicerX

They will be available in AWD. Some of the recent media events only had the RWD available to test. No worries there dude!

TimGinCentralNJ
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX Journey AWD

Anyone heard any legitimate pricing ballparks on this bad boy yet? Probably pretty far outside of my $30-35 price range I suspect :-\

Tim

RicerX

Yeah you're going to need another $10-15k.

Pricing for this was released on Infinitinews.com this week. The Q50 RS400 will start around $47,8xx before destination for the RWD model. Pricing looks to be dead in line with the previous Q50S RWD model.

Infinitiusa.com's builder is up now.

TimGinCentralNJ
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX Journey AWD

RicerX wrote:Yeah you're going to need another $10-15k.

Pricing for this was released on Infinitinews.com this week. The Q50 RS400 will start around $47,8xx before destination for the RWD model. Pricing looks to be dead in line with the previous Q50S RWD model.

Infinitiusa.com's builder is up now.
Thanks very much, RicerX. I'll need the AWD model, so maybe I'll try to find a used Sport now that I can pay cash for, drive it for a few years, then hopefully the price of this latest model won't be so bad on the used market by then.

Tim

RicerX

If you go that route, absolutely look at a 2015 - the InTouch is AWFUL on the 2014s. The 2015 Q50s got the hardware it really needed to operate the system. The used prices are great on the Q50s for sure right now - even moreso that this new model was announced. They're fantastic cars with the 3.7L motors. You'll have a great ride regardless. Good luck with the hunt!

M37xfan
Car: Traded in 2012 Infiniti M37x

Stopped at my local Infiniti dealer for some service last week. They had a white Q50 Red on the showroom floor.

Slick vehicle....

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I drove a AWD RS400 last weekend. Power was smooth and quite noticeable in comparison to my '14 Q50s. Sport+ mode seemed to help the 7AT, but, there was still some lag. Salesman was with me so I could not really beat on it (not my local dealership). I really like what Infiniti did with the sport wheels as to me the later G37 and sport Q50 wheels sucked (which is why I pulled them from my Q). Power seems to be a tad short of 470hp based upon Stillen dyno tests. A RWD version will be quite an interesting drive with that much power and lack of LSD.

I question where Infiniti is going with the Q50 (well, with the higher-tier performance RS series in general). The new motor seems a great addition but they mated it to the 7AT when there are dual-clutch alternatives (QX30 gets a dual-clutch 7sp). I wonder if the 2018 or 2019 model years will be upgraded to a new transmission?

RicerX

I'm hoping for the Red Sport to be a test run of the motor while they tweak the dual clutch that's meant for that motor. The twin clutch in the QX30 is Mercedes sourced (as is everything but the bodywork and the interior) and I think the Q50 deserves a robust in-house update for the transmission. Perhaps they're testing the waters to see how the car does before going full "BMW M" with it.

They did say that when developing the Eau Rouge prototype that they chose the 7AT to maintain a level of refinement and comfort while being able to handle the performance. I'm thinking they're mainly taking notes from Mercedes here with the QX30 as Nissan only has a hardcore performer in the GR6 found in the GT-R, whereas Merc has many dual clutch transmissions across its lineup.

If the Red Sport's motor holds up well over the next couple years and they add a twin-clutch paired with an LSD, I'll trade my 2015 for one. Otherwise, I will just keep my 2015.

M37xfan

hmmmm...may be this will be my next car some time down the road.... :chuckle:

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

bundy26 wrote:If there's a new Z, this engine needs to be in it
:yesnod

Only thing stopping me from buying a new Nismo 370Z right now, besides the stock market (thanks Brexit!), is the fact that I'm hoping for exactly this.

If it doesn't happen next year I'll most likely either rebuild Old Yeller or jump to a C7 (but a Z51 not a Z06), like Red Det did.

EDIT: Depending on the pricing structure (and the state if the economy) I'd reluvtantly consider a Q60S. Problem is those pesky back seats. ;)

M37xfan

So the dealer near me has several Q50 400's on the lot. Sticker was $60k+...wow!! :crazy:

You guys think this is reasonable??

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

If you get a fully loaded one, then, yes. $47,950 base for RS400 RWD and $49,950 for the AWD. Here's a loaded AWD:

Model: 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD $49,950
Exterior Color: Majestic White (Extra cost option) $500
- Direct Adaptive Steering® View Details $1,000
- Technology Package (3.0t) View Details $1,850
- Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport View Details $2,250
- Driver Assistance Package View Details $2,250
- Maple Wood Accent Package View Details $400
- Infiniti Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates View Details $440
- Miscellaneous Destination & Handling $905

TOTAL $59,545

That's without all the other accessories added. You could probably get a base for cheaper than sticker since Infiniti dealerships are not supposed to rip people off by increasing the sale prices for new vehicles which are in high demand.

RicerX

A base red sport is a hell of a competitively priced vehicle. If you can do without all the extra electronics, I find it exceptionally difficult to find a vehicle at that level of performance for the money.

M37xfan

Me personally, really don't care for all those 'extra' electronics. Just give me the nice stereo system, navigation, bluetooth....I am good to go

twoeightythreez
Car: 1994 G50; 1995 Caprice wagon; 1969 Buick sportwagon

Checkered Flag wrote:So the sport 400 is Back Wheel drive only?? I need Infinity AWD back wheel dominate or else I won't be able to drive in snow.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... ive-review
RWD does fine in snow if you know what you're doing and put on proper snow tires.
But, im sure AWD will be available

twoeightythreez

RicerX wrote:A base red sport is a hell of a competitively priced vehicle. If you can do without all the extra electronics, I find it exceptionally difficult to find a vehicle at that level of performance for the money.
Chevy SS comes to mind.
And it is available in a manual....
Which most people dont care about anymore but it is.

RicerX

twoeightythreez wrote:
RicerX wrote:A base red sport is a hell of a competitively priced vehicle. If you can do without all the extra electronics, I find it exceptionally difficult to find a vehicle at that level of performance for the money.
Chevy SS comes to mind.
And it is available in a manual....
Which most people dont care about anymore but it is.
It's cool that it's a manual, but RWD base models equal, the SS is heavier, worse on fuel, slower to 60, and only $1000 less in base price... and it's a Chevy. If I'm spending that cash, I'm going for the refinement and overall package of the Infiniti - mag-ride, manual tranny, and LSD included.

twoeightythreez

True to that, but I've heard of people getting a brand new SS for $39k out the door, at which point it is in a class by itself. Since it is so rare, it will likely hold its value better than the q50 but I'm sure the q50 is much nicer inside. "It's a Chevy" is pretty narrow minded, kind of like saying an Infiniti is "A Nissan". It basically boils down to personal preference, as you said.
I am a mechanic and absolutely despise working on GM products because of how they are designed to be assembled once as quickly as possible, but Infiniti products are not exactly easy to work on, even if they are built with repair ability in mind.
Even so, if I decide to buy a new car next year I will definitely give the SS a hard look.
It is essentially a modern day G50 q45 :)
I will also look hard at the q50 as I love my old q...

RicerX

How is comparing a non-luxury car (Chevy) to a luxury car in the Infiniti narrow minded? If I made the same remark in context about a Cadillac versus the Infiniti, I could see your point... but it is a Chevy, and a Chevy is not a luxury car no matter how large a V8 you stuff into it.

MSRP to MSRP is what I was speaking of, and I'd rather have a car with the fit and finish of an Infiniti over a Chevy when we're talking $1,000 difference. The Q50s are already available with discounts as well, and every dealer has a moment of desperation - everything is negotiable. However, if they're taking nearly $10k off of these cars to move them, what does that do to the value retention and value perception? If the MSRP is artificially marked up, and the used car prices will show that, and it will be a wash. However, at face value, the SS won't be leased out at dime-a-dozen rates like the Infiniti will and therefore won't be as abundant on the used market when the lease turn-ins show up. That could help it make up some ground after the deep price cuts.

twoeightythreez

I was referring to it in the context that its automatically not a luxury car simply because it is badged as a Chevy.
From what Ive read, it actually has damn good build quality, and maybe GM could have sold more, if they would have say, badged it as a Buick GS.
That is why I referred to it as a modern spiritual successor to the original q45.
Like the Q, it is not advertised, and is a marque unknown of in this segment.
Like the Q, it is an upmarket foreign market car that is being sold here in limited numbers. Ironically, im willing to bet that if the G50 would have been sold as a Maxima it probably would have sold better, lol.
Finally, just like the original q45, the SS will be a gem that is unknown to all and forgotten amid a sea of utterly forgettable cars.
I am saying narrow minded view because if the exact same car were sold as a caddy with caddy sheetmetal, we wouldnt even be having this discussion in the first place.
One's opinion on the car was irrelevant in my reply, i was simply refuting your claim that no other car exists at the red sport's price point that is comparable in performance....yet there is.
In fact, that might be a solution to that dilemma. Lease the SS for two years, knowing it will have a good residual, then score a lovingly cared for red sport for half price, haha ;)
Last edited by twoeightythreez on Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

RicerX

twoeightythreez wrote: I am saying narrow minded view because if the exact same car were sold as a caddy with caddy sheetmetal, we wouldnt even be having this discussion in the first place.
This line is completely laughable. "If it was the exact same car except for replacing the exterior and interior with one from a Cadillac, we wouldn't even be having this discussion in the first place."

Sorry dude... we don't agree on too much here. Regardless of our differences, my viewpoint is absolutely not narrow-minded.

twoeightythreez

Sorry dude, but the very fact that you wouldn't even consider an SS as a contender worthy of comparison to a q50 base model,
Simply because of what brand it is marketed under, is an absolutely narrow minded viewpoint. I am positive that the Infiniti is the better car, but I will compare both before coming to that conclusion.

Im sure people talking about q50s really dont want to see our squabble here, so we at least agree to disagree.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”