breakerless ignition

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
tinodat
Car: 1975 620

A friend of mine is getting his 1975 620 back on the road. We are looking to upgrade to a breakerless ignition. What is out there for this truck and any personal input on how well it works will be appreciated. I do know Petronix makes a unit, are others available? Thank you.....

Charlie69
Car: 1966 Datsun 520

If the motor is an L motor then I use a Match box distributor and coil which eliminates the ballast resistor. These can be found in 78 to 80 cars and trucks here in the US.

I ran the Petronix kit in a couple of trucks and had no problems definitely better than points. Just be careful not to cross up the + and - wires as you will have to buy another kit.

tinodat
Car: 1975 620

Thank you. It is an L motor and the truck only has 25K miles on it. It's 100% stock and has been sitting a long long time. A Petronix was purchased and installed but did not run well. Know what we discovered? The centrifigal advance in the distributor was not working. it was frozen up. After the distributor was removed, disassembled, cleaned, and lubed it ran fine. All this after we had to rebuild the carb cause the float was stuck and secondary would not open. Moral of the story. You cannot expect a datsun that has been sitting over 10 years and is seldom driven to run normal.

Return to “Datsun 620”