Break-in period

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
landonb16

What does this really mean? Do not drive at one constant speed for a long time, either fast or slow.

Would this suggest that it would be a bad idea for me drive my Versa from Virginia to Florida and back this weekend?

Thanks, Landon

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

Indeed it would be a bad idea to drive a long distance, at least according to the manual.However, I have asked several poeple at my dealership, including the Salesman, Service Manager and Parts Manager, and they all tell me that Nissan engines are run on the bench before installation and need no additional break-in period.They also said that the break-in guidelines in the manual are mainly to cover their butts in case someone thrashes their new car and blows a seal or something. In this instance, they can claim that the break-in period was not honored and the repairs are not under warranty.This is merely what I've been told. Personally, I plan to switch to full synthetic fluids in both the engine and transmission, and refrain from any 'serious' driving until the 1200 Nissan-recommended miles are up.

'Gratz on your new baby (versa)!

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

I would not take a long trip with the speed control on and run for long stretches at the same speed. I have always "broken in" engines on my different vehicles by following the varying rpm philosophy. I have always had good luck with my vehicles, whether that is luck or not, I don't know. I would find it hard to believe that Nissan runs their engines long enough for any break in to occur. I don't see how that would be physically possible. With the sheer numbers of engines produced, that defies logic. Anyway, I have had mine one week and when we picked it up, it had 12 miles on it. Yesterday, it tripped 1000 miles!!!! I have been careful to go by the book on this one as I have never owned a Nissan before. We will see how it holds up. If I were you, if you decide to do the trip, just pull off onto some secondary roads where you can vary speed and rpm from time to time and then get back on the interstate for a while. The key is to keep the rpm from staying at one rpm for long periods. Good luck.
Modified by electech at 4:37 PM 8/28/2006

landonb16

well this kind of sucks, i guess i'll wait.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

New engines are built so well they really don't need the break-in period. I broke-in my Xterra's engine with a 1600 mile round trip weekend to Wisconsinin late December. I started at ~200 miles.

~75,000 miles later, no engine problems with ~ 15,000 miles driven off-road beating the crap out it. At ~76,000 bent push rods, not related to an engine defect or lack of break-in.

If you really needed to break-in the engine, Nissan would have you change the oil & filter at the end of the break-in period, not 2550 miles later, to remove all the debris that was generated.

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

What XterraVersa says jives with what my dealer told me. He said that new close-tolerance engines are well-seated and the parts mate together from the factory and no additional joining period is necessary. I'm still not totally convinced, but at least I don't feel like I'm gonna blow my engine if it sees redline once in a while

landonb16

If i were to vary my speed between 60 and 70 and also vary between 5th and 6th gear would that be enough to so i am not drive at one constant speed for a long time, either fast or slow?

rwanttaja

Elmojo wrote:What XterraVersa says jives with what my dealer told me. He said that new close-tolerance engines are well-seated and the parts mate together from the factory and no additional joining period is necessary. I'm still not totally convinced, but at least I don't feel like I'm gonna blow my engine if it sees redline once in a while
Both my last two cars were bought used from a rental car provider. I don't believe the rental companies hire anyone to baby the cars through the break-in period...they're handed over to customers who don't give a flying leap *how* they drive the cars.

Both cars reached 100,000 miles with no drivetrain problems. And both were GM models, not normally known for high reliability. But they DID get serviced at regular intervals.

So I don't think the break-in is as critical as it used to be. But make sure you get the oil changed, etc. when it's supposed to....

Ron

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

That should be fine the way you describe. I would look on the map and maybe jump off the Interstate a couple of times and take a side road for a little ways for some scenery and to help with vaying the rpm. It may not be a problem these days, I would just feel bettery doing it. I wouldn't hold the throttle wide open, at least for more than a few seconds and keep long, high rpms to under 4000. At least you would comply in spirit with the manual. The other alternative is to drive it like you stole it and let us know which way works best!! LOL!!

cireecnop1
Car: 2007 Toyota Touring Prius w/Package#5

I finally reached my break in period a few days ago, after a long long long period of old granny driving. this is my first "NEW" car and wanted to do things right.now that its over i can let it red-line this car suprisingly has some balls. I love it

Return to “Versa General Chat”