Brakes

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
odpl_Digger

I have one rear brake that is dragging and I can't figure it out.  I recently replaced the wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and all springs on the rear two wheels.  After reassembling the brakes, adjusting the shoes, bleeding the lines I noticed that when the wheel was turned in the backward direction it spun freely.  However, when turned in the forward direction it would stick -- get stopped by a brake shoe.  I tried swapping drums but the effect was the same.  I removed and examined the new shoes and even sanded the edges to remove any sharp edges or burrs.  I swapped the position of the shoes.  All to no avail.  Everything appears the same as the other side, which operates without dragging.    On the problem wheel I noticed that the adjuster housing slides easier on the problem wheel than on any other wheel.  I tried bending the adjuster shim to create more resistance (though I did so without completely removing the shim and lock plate) but I'm not sure that increased resistance much.  I still have the drag -- only in one direction.  I'm tempted to remove the after shoe return spring, but I'm not sure what problems that would cause.  Any advice or ideas???  Thanks

lancekilgore

did you have the problem before you changed everything out?  now the two sides should not match because of both sides.  I would examine the backing plate make sure it is not damaged and that you put a slight amount of grease on the place where the brake shoe slides along the backing plate.  (metal to metal)

Lance

odpl_Digger

Thanks for the reply. Actually I did have the problem before I changed everything,  I was hoping that the old wheel cylinders were sticking and that new cylinders would solve the problem.  They were pretty bad and needed replacement.  I don't see any obvious damage to the backing plate, but will check again.  I have put a slight amount of grease on the appropriate spots.  It's been a real puzzler.:shock:

lancekilgore

let us know what you find but something is not right.  May have to go and get a complete backing plate and all from a junk yard, weak spring or something??

IMH

Are your certain that you have the correct return springs in the correct locations?  The upper and lower are different.

odpl_Digger

Yes.  I have an original service manual with pictures and I have triple checked the pictures.  Also compared the new springs with the ones I replaced.  Springs are good. 

odpl_Digger

Springs are good.  Any idea what to look for on the back plate?  They look OK.  No cracks or obvious bends or creases.  I did get another shim for the adjuster plate and will see if that helps.  Will be gone off and on until the end of July.

odpl_Digger

I FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM!!:D  The sticking wheel was on the left side.  It would stick only when the wheel was turned in the forward direction and not when turned backward.   (Although the same result -- grabbing only in the forward direction -- would have occurred on the right side rear given the same condition.)  When I pulled off the drums on both sides today I was determined to find what difference there could possibly be between the left side that was grabbing and the right side.  I measured the width of the shoe material; I checked the distance from the outer edge of the shoes to the back-plate all around; I checked the distance from the face of the hub to the outer edge of shoes; and I generally checked and compared everything I could between the two sides -- getting up and down and walking back and forth between the left and right sides.  Then I noticed that on the good (right) side, the "extension link" (the flat bar with slots that separates the shoes and the parking brake toggle lever on the top side of the axle) had a little bit of play; but on the problem (left) side it was tight.  I couldn't see why that could be because the link was installed the same on both sides and the parking brake was off.  When I removed the shoes from the problem side I finally discovered that the parking brake cable was frozen stuck.  Even though there was slack in both rear cables aft of the cable lever I couldn't get the cable to move within its housing.  I finally had to remove the left rear parking brake cable (temporarily plugging the cable entry hole in the backing plate to prevent dirt from getting in).  When I reassembled the shoes (leaving out the extension link and the toggle lever) and adjusted them -- no more grabbing.  Until I can get a replacement cable I don't have a parking brake, but at least it rolls.  From now on I'll check whether my parking brake cables move whenever I change rear brake shoes. :cool:

71-521

great job figuring out the problem!
that's a nice tip for all to check when having brake problems in the rear.

Return to “Datsun 620”