Brakes...Rotors need to be turned?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
somdamon
Car: 2008 Versa SL Hatchback

I'm a proud 2008 Versa SL Hatchback owner for 2 weeks now. Just hit 550 miles and took the car to the dealer to have a vibration when breaking checked out. I was told my rotors had "hot spots" and needed to be turned. I am a very conservative driver and easy on brakes. I do not understand how a new car with 550 miles on it would need the rotors turned? Anyone else have this experience? Seriously considering taking the car back to dealer and demanding new rotors be installed.

Comments and feedback welcome!

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

They turn rotors down there? Here they just replace them -- say it isn't worth turning them because . . . well, let's face it, it's because they make more money that way.

I'd be pushing for replacements for sure.

bigdog
Car: 2007 versa s 2007 xterra 1982 dodge truck

possable they may have been warped from factory,which could cause vibration,turning them would most likely give them a flat surface like the should have & it should be under warrenty regardless. wifes xterra had is an 07 and 3500 miles on it and we had to get dealer to turn her rotors due to the brakes squealing & slight vibration

BigMACKenzie
Car: 1993 240sx convertible

how much are they charging you to turn the rotors? Its really about the thickness of your rotors, if they are glassy and smooth and within specs (thickness wise) its fairly helpfull to turn the rotors, esp when you get new pads. it helps brake them in and gives a better surface to bite into as well as decrease noise.

somdamon

The dealer is not charging me for turning the rotors, however, I thought it was particularly strange that they should even need turning at 546 miles!

Does this not indicate defective rotors? I am confused...

somdamon

If the rotors came warped from the factory, should they not just be replaced then? It's all warranty work regardless of turning rotors or replacing them. I figure its a new car, and I shouldn't have to have the rotors turned at all.

I have owned many automobiles in my life (including 5 Nissan products and 1 Datsun) and never had a rotor problem before 60,000 miles.

I am confused...

somdamon

That's what I am thinking - new rotors. It's a brand new car and I shouldn't have to be dealing with this rotor situation at all!

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

BigMACKenzie

well then if that is your concern Eff what a book says about your rotors. You as a customer have a right to feel like you purchased a new and functional product. If a piece of your new product was not functional and you consider turning the rotors a "patch job" then you should ask for new rotors. You just dropped a good deal of money on your new vehicle and they should want you to feel satisfied as a customer. Not like they are doing the bare minimum to keep your vehicle on the road and safe. ^^

vpnavy
Car: 2006 Maxima
2007 Versa

When I bought my 2007 - on the way home I noticed a mild vibration. I called my dealer and he told me to run the car another week or so and the vibration will go away. He also said if it really bothers me now - bring it back in and they will take care of it. I simply didn't have enough time to run it back up so ... sure enough, after a few weeks the vibration went away.

bigdog
Car: 2007 versa s 2007 xterra 1982 dodge truck

i wouldnt blame you for telling the dealer you want new rotors if vibration continues,but having the rotors turned isn't what i would call a "patch job",it does even out the rotors & we havent had any problems on our xterra since the rotots were turned on it,but thats just my 2 cents.

BigMACKenzie

I dont see it as a "patch job" either bigdog, but to me its more about how somdamons perception of how the dealership is treating him and the situation. If you dont want to fight with them about new rotors I would suggest letting the dealership try what they want first, then if it doesnt work you can get even more irate with them ^^ mechanics hate it when they get "I told you so'd" by customers but in this case they would be earning it.

PB

somdamon wrote:The dealer is not charging me for turning the rotors, however, I thought it was particularly strange that they should even need turning at 546 miles!

Does this not indicate defective rotors? I am confused...
I have seen new rotors out of the box new warped, that caused vibrations,Changed them out and they were fine,Dont get them to turn them ,ASK for new ones.

somdamon

Good point bigdog.

I visited the dealer today and spoke with the service manager about it. He said that many cars that sit on the lot without being driven can have rust form on the rotors - resulting in a vibration when brakes are applied. The rust will often wear off after being driven or sometimes needs to have the rotors turned to solve the issue.

I feel somewhat better now and plan to let it go for the time being. I appreciate everyone's comments.

Happy motoring!

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”