Brakes all locked up...

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
TheMaverick91
Car: 2005 350Z Roadster

Hello everybody. Newbie here on the forum, but not a newbie to Z's. Just purchased my first 2005 350Z Roadster yesterday and I'm having an issues with the braking system on the car. While driving the car for two or three minutes all of the brakes will almost go full lock on the car. If you let the car sit overnight the brakes will free up and you can drive it the same amount of time or even let it idle for two/three minutes and it will do the same thing. Here's where things get spicy. I noticed that if you take the vacuum hose off of the Brake Booster the car brakes will release and work as normal until I'm assuming that the pressure builds back up???

The previous owner stated that he has the brake master cylinder and the brake booster replaced from another 2005 350Z and that he had also replaced that check valve going to the booster from the manifold. Along with all of that he told me that the ABS and VDC lights would come on, but I have yet to see them personally...

So, my list of possibilities is:
1. Faulty Brake Booster/ adjustment
2. Faulty ABS Pump or Module
3. Previous owner didn't bleed system correctly and air is in system somewhere??

Thanks in Advance!!!

TheMaverick91

UPDATE:

I am still having this issue but not as bad after installation of the correct master and booster from another 05' that had 35k on the clock.

Any Ideas???

kshaw
Car: 2004 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast

I suspect a bad caliper. Jack the car up and try to spin each of the wheels. If it does not spin, get a rebuilt caliper or try greasing the brake pins and brake pad slide area.

TheMaverick91

Found out the issue about two weeks ago. The previous owner had a miss adjusted brake light switch...

Adjusted properly and have not had a problem since!

2003PATHFINDER2022
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5
2006 Nissan 350Z

BRAKES LOCK UP over a faulty or MISS ADJUSTED brake light switch!! WTF , that kind of zip engineering on an automobile should never be allowed to be sold in the USA!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

2003PATHFINDER2022 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:18 pm
BRAKES LOCK UP over a faulty or MISS ADJUSTED brake light switch!! WTF , that kind of zip engineering on an automobile should never be allowed to be sold in the USA!
That can happen on literally any car from any manufacturer. If the switch is pushed too far in and puts pressure on the pedal, bad things happen. It's the result of a brain dead installer, not zip engineering.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”