Brake Rotor and Pads change out together? advice?

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
donald
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 (RIP, 2011)
2010 Pathfinder LE

So, I'm considering changing out my brake rotors. Each time I brake I experience significant steering wheel shake, which may be attributed to the phenomenon of "warped rotors".

I put quotations around "warped rotors" since there is some debate whether or not rotors physically warp or some say that a layer of brake-pad is transfered to the rotor also causing the same sensation. :gotme

Either way, I'm changing out my rotors, but I wanted to know if I need to change pads as well?
Is there anything additional I need to do to the rotors or current pads on the truck?

The pads are still in very healthy condition, I think they have about 5-7k miles of commuter driving on them. I got my truck early 2011 this year, and the previous owner claims he changed the brakes, but not the rotors. so the pads are healthy, and I don't want to chuck them out if I can avoid it.
But if it is advisable that rotors and pads be changed together, then I'll need to consider pads as well (which will lead me to researching this forum which ones are better suited). :crazy:

Thanks for any advice and input. :dblthumb:

And I don't think it matters, but this is for a 2001 Infiniti Qx4 4wd.
I barely tow or go offroading. I just drive it because I loves it! :inoutgay:

Gabes13
Car: rb20det s13

If the pads a still healthy, keep them, but if the rotors are really bad, they might have scored the pads too. Before you buy anything, take the pads and rotors off and take some good measurements.

core!ventura

Usually it good to change pad and rotors at the same time. If you want to change pad only, might want to resurface the rotor or else it will worn out the new pad too.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”