Brake wear

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Just a quick question for the experts. I noticed Phillip commented in a earlier posts that Nissan brakes are so so???Anyways just had my 12000km service done, both front and rear have 77% left on them. Normal driving habits( come on I am 52, days of racing are long gone )Just one long trip through the mountains. Use the "manual" in a lot of cases to slow down. Is the percentage left normal or excessive???

Thanks Paul

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

Hey Paul,

Just a quick calculation, 77% wear at 12,000 km, would mean your brakes would last just over 52,000km. Say you run them to 10-15%, means replacing at about 47,000 km.

Thats' maybe two years of driving? I'd say that's 6-12 months shy of what I'd expect out of some brake pads, but not terrible, maybe just below average?

paulvanharte

Thanks for the reply. I was comparing this with my Outlander that I traded it in with around 70000km on it and still the original brakes( mind you that one had rear drums, not disc brakes)

Paul

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Paul,

I wouldn't say that you are experiencing excessive wear. The Rogue's a little sportier than some and even though it may not feel like you are braking harder, you might be. Have you compared the surface area of Outlander break pads to Rogue break pads? Perhaps the Rogue has smaller surface area, thus wear a little more quickly through them. That doesn't necessarily mean that they perform worse, simply that they go through them more quickly.

paulvanharte

Thanks for the reply

Paul

philipa_240sx

Re: Brakes

My comments regarding brakes on Nissan's has to do not so much with brake wear but their design. The late 300ZX ('90-96) had seriously under sized brakes. But even some products like the recent Titan pickup have had brake problems. The most common issue seems to be warped brake rotors. The 240SX I had was pretty bad... it just wouldn't stop until I upgraded the front brakes. The '87 Pathfinder would eat a set of brake pads in less than 50,000km (30,000mi), and my '03 Altima would warp at least one set of brake rotors a year... this may have had alot to do with the Hawk HPS pads I was running.

So far the Rogue has been very good, but I only have 20,000km on it.

As for brake wear. This is largely dependent on your driving habits. 2 different drivers with the same car, driving the same route can have radically different brake wear.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

I know it is may be too early to talk about that, but when the time to change the brake pads will come, Is anyone has an idea of what he will do?

Put back OEM brake pads or an aftermarket set? If the latter, which brand should be the best fit for the Rogue?

Will you also change the rotors or change them at the same time of the pads? Problem of material compatibility for better efficiency?

I am a newbie in that area, so any advise would be welcome.

Return to “Rogue Forum”