brake question... please help

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
G'd up
Car: '04 G35 sedan Premium PKG Sports PKG AERO PKG

OK guys i recently got new front brakes and rotors. well on the instructions for the pads it said to greese the back of the bads before you put them on. well long story short. the person who i let do my brakes didnt. now i am gonnna pay to have them greased. i know that there is a product out there called disc brake quiet. MY QUESTION is should i just use regular brake grease on the back of them or put the disc brake quiet product on them ?????? OR BOTH??????

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

I'm not sure it's grease. I think it might be a quieting aid. Maybe someone will come along and set it straight. The other option is to follow Gwoods write up in reverse and do it yourself.

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

G’d up wrote:OK guys i recently got new front brakes and rotors. well on the instructions for the pads it said to greese the back of the bads before you put them on. well long story short. the person who i let do my brakes didnt. now i am gonnna pay to have them greased. i know that there is a product out there called disc brake quiet. MY QUESTION is should i just use regular brake grease on the back of them or put the disc brake quiet product on them ?????? OR BOTH??????
I use white lithium grease... IMO any kind of grease will work.

Are your brakes making a sqeak now? If they are not making noise I'd just leave it alone.

Its really easy to do it you might just try yourself.

1> jack up the car, use a jack stand and a jack, remove the tire/wheel2> remove the two 14 mm bolts that hold the caliper to the mounting plate/spindle.3> lift the caliper out of the way, secure it with unwound wire cloths hanger never let the caliper hang or drop by the brake hose4> if you are careful you can grease the backs of the pads now. I use a small 89 cent paint brush. A Q-tip or cotton ball would work well. You are just putting enough grease on the back of the pad to make is shiny. If you can see the grease you put on too much. What makes the squeal is the metal caliper grabbing the metal backing plate on the pad. You are just putting enough grease on the backing plate that it won't squeal. Be very careful that you do not get any grease on the rotor. The grease I use comes in a canister that you can put in a grease gun and is $4 at walmart. It makes it easy to dip a paint brush or q-tip into the top without getting any grease on your hand.

5> put it all back together and move to the next tire. remember the caliper bolts will turn opposite direction on the other side of the car

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Jeff, would the aerosol spray White Lithium grease work? I wonder if he could put the straw behind the pad and not even have to take his rim off?? Thoughts?

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

if i were doing that my concern would be overspray onto the rotor.

Plus, you wouldn't be able to get to the backside pad.

Just take the 5 min to take the caliper off.

G'd up

im really skeptical about doing any work myself. when we took my calipers off to initially put the pads and rotors on my caliper bolt snapped inside the pin. so i had to go to an advanced auto parts store. long story short they didnt have one for a infiniti sedan so i got one for an altima.. and it fit... (hopefully this isnt bad for long term) but while in the process of putting my new pads on the person doing my car didnt put any greese on the back of my pads. (which on the instructions from the pad manufacturers it said to do so) so now my car squeeks HORRIBLY EVERY TIME I PRERSS THE BRAKE its embarrasing....

fatire_mtb
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 5AT

Brian - check your email. I can help and live nearby.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

What a sad situation.

The lithium spray may not penetrate, but it's worth a try.

Also, you can just remove one of the caliper bolts and loosen the other, that way you have a pivot instead of having to line up both.

G'd up

fatire_mtb wrote:Brian - check your email. I can help and live nearby.
nothing there.....?

G'd up

in looking to have it done right. not take the easy way out... i tried taking the easy way by paying someone 70 dollars to do my brakes and this was the outcome....

fatire_mtb
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 5AT

I sent it to the address posted on your NICO profile. [email protected]

This is too easy to have you pay somebody to do it.

G'd up

gosh i forgot about that addy. well i replied from another one. thanks bro

gwoods
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8

I would not expect the spray to work. You need to get the grease on the spot between the calipers and the pads you have to remove the calipers to get to that.

The risk of getting grease on the rotor is too great.

When you snapped the caliper bolt were you turning it the wrong way :-)

G'd up

so which way are the bolts set up. which side are what direction???? sorry man im new to this stufff

gwoods
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8

I think the passenger side is righty loosey...

G'd up

that
gwoods wrote:I think the passenger side is righty loosey...
hmmm how positive are you about this on an 04 sedan?????? are you positive they have diff threads on one side vs the other not the same on both????

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

G’d up wrote:that

hmmm how positive are you about this on an 04 sedan?????? are you positive they have diff threads on one side vs the other not the same on both????
They don't have different threads on either side, but they are mounted opposite of each other, so one side you have to turn towards the back of the car and the other towards the front. At least this is what I remember when doing my coupe rears.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Sentientbydesign wrote:
They don't have different threads on either side, but they are mounted opposite of each other, so one side you have to turn towards the back of the car and the other towards the front. At least this is what I remember when doing my coupe rears.
To avoid confustion when laying under a vehicle, if you are going to loosen a bolt set the socket wrench prior to going under the car so the socket turns counter clockwise. If you are going to be tightening bolts set the socket wrench & hold the socket so it rotates clockwise

Telcoman

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”