Brake pads wearing out quickly on my JX35

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
momojang
Car: 2013 JX35

I've replaced my front and rear brake pads when the car was 1.5 years old. I was told it was due to the design of the rotors and the fact that its a heavy car. Now 1 year later, I've been told the front brake pads need replacing on the next servicing (53000kms) as I only have 20% left! This seems pretty excessive and I'm not sure if this is due to poor quality brake pads. I drive in the city mainly and my about 20000 kms/year. I've owned a Honda Odyssey before this and never had issues with replacing brake pads so often. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem with their JX?

G8R

I am having the same issue on my 2013 JX35 with 24,000 miles. Seems odd to me that they would wear out that fast. I've never had that problem on 2 previous Infiniti SUVs. Seems like it could be a defect??

momojang

Thanks for your reply...your brake pads lasted longer as I had to change both front and rear at about 19000 miles. I'm going to ask the dealership to submit a report to Infiniti Canada about this if I have to replace the front brake pads at my next servicing. I think its not normal to have to replace brake pads every year to year and half. I love the car, but I won't keep it if this is an ongoing trend. This is way too much maintenance and expense.

G8R

I agree. I have owned several new cars and 2 other Infiniti products and never had to change brake pads this early. Had I known of this issue it definitely would have affected my decision to buy and will affect my decision to buy another infiniti product. They also said the rotors needed to be turned which seems odd to me is there is no sign of wear. Not sure if that's just want they do whenever they change the pads but it seems unnecessary to me.

Slow Eddie
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35

Gentlemen,

I found this forum looking for information to see if I was the only one with this issue. Apparently I'm not. I just got back from the dealer yesterday and they told me that my rear pads were down to 3 mm. Lucky for me at least I made it to 38,000 miles. Every other vehicle I've ever owned the front brakes wore down first and usually twice before the rears. The service manager said the rears wear faster because the traction control is controlled by the rear brakes.

He didn't mention anything about the front, so I'm assuming they are ok, however I have noticed a shudder in the brakes when decelerating from freeway speeds.

Thank you.

Eddie

Slow Eddie

I changed out my front and rear pads today. They were about half way worn down, I could have gotten at least another 20K out of them. I'm a little annoyed that the dealer told me the rears needed to be replaced because they were down to "3 mm" which is an eighth of an inch, which a new pad is a quarter inch thick, so they still have 50% life left. It could be the dealers are just going for the money grab.

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

I've got 25k miles on mine. havent changed them. I'll have to check it out. It could be the pads they used were softer than normal.

DoubleInfin
2012 M37

Hey guys, I've got the same news from the dealer today. '13 JX with 24,500 on it and they're saying I've got 2mm left on the rear pads. How can rear pads be wearing out this fast, not to mention before the front pads?

Makes no sense to me unless there is some sort of defect. How have others resolved?

dgchurch
2011 BMW 528i

I've got 90,000 miles on my 2013 JX bought July 2012 and am on the original brake pads. Two things I'd say - dealer is recommending a replace prematurely; and look at your driving habits (ie. using the cruise control - car brakes every time it slows you down; if you corner aggressively the rear inner pads are engaged to keep the car body from rolling, etc...).

Personally, I don't ever let the car slow me down when using cruise - I cancel cruise and manually drive until the car in front of me has cleared and then I re-engage cruise; that has helped out quite a bit for me.

doworkaz
Car: 240sx

rears wear out faster on rears on almost all Infiniti cars, unless your doing heavy braking all the time,
also No they are probably not recommending them early . its probably time for pads, as i have personally seen them go bad anywhere between 16-38k also if your brakes are pulsating you have warped your rotors, which you will need to resurface (cut) them to make them stop,, some times u can shave the pad down and save it, but its recommended you replace them every time, the need for a resurface is so your pads have the proper mesh/ brake in with the pad I.E. clean surfaces ...
/to cut back/ avoid noise, properly lube all shims ( and use FACTORY shims and pads ) if you dont resurface the rotors and just pad slap the rotor it will cause more noise...... due to ROTORS glazing
A. traction control
b. braking habits
C. pad type ( material used )
D. ICC

Just saying...

gunkjunkie

Dealer said I had about 15% left at around 25K miles. Had to change both pads and rotors. I thought rotors were good for 2-3 pad changes.

UriLI
Car: QX60

If I'm reading correctly - most of you replaced only pads and rotors were not needed.

Is that a fair assessment? Any reason not to do this with a local (reputable) shop?

buckjl
Car: 2013 JX 35

Same issue with "3 mm" rear pads at 21,000 miles on 2013 JX35. Local mechanic measured 4 mm. Infiniti said brakes were undersized in this model. Replaced at 29,000 and Infiniti repeated the "3 mm" warning after another 21,000 miles. Sounds to me like a corporate issue they wont own up to.

dgchurch
2011 BMW 528i

Surprised to see this post. I've got 143K miles on my '13 JX and replaced the rear pads at 90K. Haven't touched fronts or any rotors to date. I had an '08 Accord where the rears needed to be replaced every ~20K.

What I've found is it seems the rear inner pad is used predominantly by cars stability control and those pads being the smallest tend to go first. That trend I've seen in all makes.

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”