Brake Pads and Rotors: Need Your Opinions

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
StormChaser
Car: 2003 G35

Patient is my 2003 G35 Sedan auto with the sports spuspension and 17" factory rims (upgraded tires to 235/50/17). She has slightly more tha 39,000 miles on her (original owner) and is due for front pads and rotors and the rears only NEED pads, but I might jsut to pads and rotors anyway.

I am not a super agressive driver but I also dont drive live a grandma. I drive my G35 the way it shold be driven, with gusto and bravado but not balls-to-the-wall all the time. I'd love to put on brakes that will actually last a decent amount of time AND produce a LOT LESS DUST. Performance? Of course that's important but I find the stock brakes to be pretty good and as long as the aftermarket stuff wors as good or better...I'll be happy.

So, anyone care to chime in with recomendations? The dealer was totally insane with pricing and my local independent said bring in whatever parts I want and he will install.

I was cruising the sponsers pages and found the StopTech Stage 2 Kit to be reasonably priced at $700 for all new pads, rotors and lines for all four corners, plus fluid for a fluid change. But I have no experience with StopTech or with EverythingG35.com Would there be any advantages to the StopTech Stage 2 Kit over standard parts? I could get standard parts from EverythingG35.com for about $420. That's a $280 difference, more than enough to cover the labor. If its worth it, I have no problem spending the extra money...but I also dont want to throw it away...so...let me have it...I want ur opinions, good and bad.

Dave2003 G35 Sedan auto Sports SuspensionVirginia Beach, VA

adamG35sedan
Car: 03 G35

as I just did a brake job on my 03 G35 it had about 45000 on it. I can tell you the front/ rear rotors should be fine, unless they have been machined before., if that is the case you should probably get new ones. they are around 100 each for fronts and I think 80 a piece for the rears, also go with carbon ceramic pads. my G had the semi metallics on it, and it was a brake dust nightmare. with the Carbon ceramics, hardly any dust at all, and they don't cost that much more. if you know of a place to get your rotors turned, then it would be best to put the car on jack stands and have them measure it. I would guess you would have to pay areond 50 bucks total to get all 4 rotors turned, if they can't then a replacement is in order. just check autozone they have fairly good prices.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

as long as the aftermarket stuff wors as good or better...I'll be happy.

Why would aftermarket stuff work as good or better than oem?

Aftermarkets never test compounds on every car or many cars they just slap their pad materials on backing plates that fit [give or take....more or less fit].

Some after markets are optimized for hotter temperatures at the expense of weak cold stopping whereas only oem must meet Federal standards for both conditions.............no standards for aftermarket. They can sell anything they want or chose to call a performance pad.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”