Brake lights stay on, already tried pedal stopper solution

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
areyourik
Car: 2000 Infiniti i30

I've got a 2000 i30. Took the trash out last night and discovered the spoiler light and right rear brake lamp were on. Removed brake lamp, and tried to pull fuse to shut off the spoiler lights, but none seemed to work. Seems like that is LED so I'm not too worried about it running down the battery.

The main question: I found the broken rubber stop pad on the floorboard, assumed that was an easy fix, but when brake switch is pressed in, the lights remain on. The fact that it's only the right rear brake lamp and spoiler light also leads me to believe it's more than just the pedal stopper.

Is this a relay possibly? Any help or ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks. :wtf2:

gigrbite
Car: nissan 350z

I would still replace the brake light switch,its composed of left and right circuts.

Aymincendiary
Car: 2002 Infiniti I-35

I have a 2002 Infiniti I35 and the brake lights stay on as well. Pressing in the plunger for the stoplight switch does not make the lights go out, even removing the switch completely doesn't turn them off either. As soon as power is applied to the battery terminals the brake lights come on. I haven't been able to find the fuse for this circuit, on YouTube I was told to look for something called STOP L. in the fuse box in the cabin, it is a 15 amp fuse. Nether the cabin or under hood fuse box has any listing for this. I would hate to think this circuit was left unfused at the factory but if I could just get the lights to go out I could charge the battery and run the car. May not be safe or legal but then I could get it to a shop and not have to have it flat bedded there. I may have to pull all the light bulbs out in that circuit 4 in the tail section and two in the rear window. Please let me know where the fuse is located and if it has been given a cryptic name I'm not recognizing. Something is bypassing the switch and supplying power to the brake light circuit.

macgiver

Very helpful to find the specific ckt for your car's brakelights , which by the way usually "Go through" and involve the Flasher ckt ,of which both are "fed" by " HOT at ALL TIMES" power.

Simple to locate your fuse , you pull them all right down the line , ea. row in sequence -you should find it.

Since the fuse should have voltage even with car off , you may take a 12V test light and touch the litte metal contact on top of fuse - showing which ARE "hot at all times". Now you've narrowed down "set of possible" fuses that it could be!

AND if you touch BOTH the little contacts will disclose Blown fuses - when the test light only lights ONE side - fuse definitely bad.

One more thing , IF someone previously modded the car , like brakelight SW. mod, flasher mod , or disconnect,trailer lights - whatever - definitely will cause weird results along with faulty Br. SW.Thus the schematic specific to YOUR car may be mandatory to thoroughly "trace" the problem.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”