BRAKE Light won't turn off

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
peaceofmindinhim
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45 (base model)

Hello mates,

My name is Eric, and I'm a proud owner of a 1995 Q45. I noticed recently my brake light started coming on - temporarily at first, no real rhyme or reason to it going off, other than when I would press on the brakes a bit hard/suddenly. Lately, it's been on all the time.

I was Googling this a few moments ago, and found a link on here (sorry, I don't have the URL) which mentioned low brake fluid, which I have already checked. The curious thing was the poster said in his 94 Q, there were two (2) reservoirs for brake fluid. I only see one upon cursory examination of my 1995 Q, which, I have filled.

I have pressed and released the emergency brake repeatedly in varying degrees - sometimes pushing all the way to the floor, and releasing, and other times just partially down, and then releasing - all to no avail. Additionally, the car does not drive as if the emergency brake is engaged.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BONUS POINTS: My car tends to not idle properly at when at a stop sign or red light. While watching the TAC, it will come down to about 250-300, go back up to 500, go back down to 300, and then sometimes stall out. Not always, but increasingly much lately. Any suggestions on this, would also be greatly appreciated. I love my Q, and it's all I have right now.

Thank you very much

Eric

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

99% chance its this part. # = 46512-H0101 Could be the clear / green rubber stopper. Have someone look at your brake lights while you push the switch in yourself. There are 2 at the end of the pedal, cruise control and brakes, I think the brake switch is on the right side of the brake pedal, they are really close. Try taping a dime up in between the switch and pedal. Shift lock will get you in gear I went through this for a bit. Could be the brake "switch" not sure the part number

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Pretty sure he's talking about the brake idiot light on the dash...

The master cylinder has two chambers within the tank, so make sure both parts have brake fluid.

Your other issue sounds like a classic mass air flow sensor problem. There's another thread in the Infiniti Online Mechanic forum that discusses it in detail and is being talked about right now...91-q45-cutting-out-but-not-quite-stalling-t542402.html

Heath

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

If he is talking about the in dash brake light, also check the switch connected to emergency brake pedal, as if this switch is faulty it causes the dash brake bulb to illuminate....this switch malfunctions in the same manner as the switch connected to the brake pedal that affects the actual exterior brake lamps!

peaceofmindinhim

Thank you much for the replies, yes, it is the dashboard light which is on. I'm not too entirely worried about it if it's just a faulty switch/sensor, I can live with it. I have a 95 J30 I'm repairing anyhow, so this car is going to be donated to a friend of mine who needs it eventually, anyhow.

Concerning, the dual brake fluid reservoirs, how do I access the 2nd reservoir? Inquiring minds would like to know!

Thank you again everyone for your quick replies, and I will take a look at the MAF link provided above. However, my car actually is stalling, but I would venture to guess the two are related (the link, and my situation). Should I attempt to use MAF cleaner? It's a nice hot 85 degree day here, so I think it'd be a perfect day to work on it.

Eric

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

Only Q45's with traction control have duel brake fluid reservoirs.

Does the Master Cylinder (MC) reservoir have brake fluid in it that is above the minimum line?

Was any other filter other than OEM used? If so then carefully clean the Mass Air Flow sensor.

peaceofmindinhim

My 1995 Q45 does have TCS on it, but forgive my ignorance here, I just don't know WHERE the master cylinder brake fluid reservoir is? The only one i see is the one on top, and that is definitely full.

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

somebody, please send a link to the FSM download to help this guy figure out the basics, I would do it, but do not remember where it is located at the moment!

Infinitiguy19

The brake light coming on can only mean:

1. The brake fluid level in the reservoir is low.

2. The alternator is in need of replacement/rebuilding.

3. The parking brake switch needs to be adjusted.

I bet either 2 or 3 is whats wrong but thankfully 2 can be easily checked (Multi-meter on the battery when running at idle with a full electrical load (high beams, rear defogger...) Make sure the battery voltage doesn't drop below 13 volts.

Check the Idle Air Control Valve/Auxiliary Air Control valve (IACV/AAC), For the idle issue. Make sure its at no more than 10% duty cycle via Nissan Consult or equivalent.
Last edited by Infinitiguy19 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peaceofmindinhim

Ok, I will gladly accept the Newbie award. I used to have the FSM on my old computer, that crashed lol. Might be on a disc somewhere. So wouldn't you know it, I popped the hood, took a good hard look under the hood and sure enough, there were two brake fluid reservoirs. Wouldn't you know, the one on the right side - bone dry. Opened the trunk, threw in some fluid, started the car, no brake light.

:facepalm:

Also, disconnected the MAF, and cleaned out the connectors. We'll see how that goes.

Infinitiguy19

I would be worried if the reservoir was empty!!! Check all the brake lines, around the calipers...

How does the fluid look in the Traction Control System reservoir? If its black such it all out and put new in till it stays a like new color.

imnprsd
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX45

Cruise Control Does Not Work And/Or Brake Light Stays On All The Time

Suggestion: There are 2 plastic "stops" that crack over time and these things are located on the brake pedal arm. You snap them in place to depress a switch. One switch is for your brake lights and the other switch is for your cruise control.

I believe the upper pad is for the brake light and the bottom is for the cruise control. So if either of these crack and fall to the mat you will see plastic pieces on the floor.

Fortunately you can order these parts on Amazon for ~$5 for four and can replace them yourself. Note: the upper one is barely visible.

The part number for my 2004 FX45 is #46584-5P010. So double check your part number for your make and model, but any car older than 10+ years is subject to this part cracking and causing these problems.

Infiniti sells this part for $15-$20 each. (What a shame.)

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”