Brake fluid bleeding and Electric park brake

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Leo1818
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

I am bleeding my wife's 2018 rogue with Electric park brake and auto hold function. Do I have to release the electric park brake before bleeding? Does the electric brake change the bleeding process? Or just bleeding as regular car? I had change the brake fluid for my corolla several times.

Any comments? Thanks a lot.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The ESM doesn't specifically say, however, the EPB is electromechanical and not hydraulic, so it shouldn't make a difference whether the piston is mechanically in or out. It is important to power the ABS down during bleeding. Here are the bleeding instructions from the ESM (same for both conventional and e-brake):

1) Turn ignition switch OFF and disconnect disconnect ABS actuator (control unit) connector or negative battery terminal
2) Connect a vinyl tube to front (RH) brake caliper bleeder valve.
3) Fully depress brake pedal 4 or 5 times
4) With brake pedal depressed, loosen bleeder valve to bleed air in brake line, and then tighten it immediately.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all of the air is out of the brake line
5) Tighten the bleeder valve to the specified torque. Refer to Exploded View (front disc brake), Exploded View (rear disc brake-except electric parking brake system). Exploded View (Rear disc brake-electric parking brake system)
6) Repeat steps 2 through 6, with the reservoir tank filled at least halfway. Bleed the air in the following order: front (RH), front (LH), rear (RH), rear (LH)
7) Reconnect battery

Watch the reservoir like a hawk, because if you accidentally bleed the fluid past the bottom, you'll need to bleed the master and ABS (in that order) and then bleed the wheels all over again.

Leo1818

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:00 pm
The ESM doesn't specifically say, however, the EPB is electromechanical and not hydraulic, so it shouldn't make a difference whether the piston is mechanically in or out. It is important to power the ABS down during bleeding. Here are the bleeding instructions from the ESM (same for both conventional and e-brake):

1) Turn ignition switch OFF and disconnect disconnect ABS actuator (control unit) connector or negative battery terminal
2) Connect a vinyl tube to front (RH) brake caliper bleeder valve.
3) Fully depress brake pedal 4 or 5 times
4) With brake pedal depressed, loosen bleeder valve to bleed air in brake line, and then tighten it immediately.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all of the air is out of the brake line
5) Tighten the bleeder valve to the specified torque. Refer to Exploded View (front disc brake), Exploded View (rear disc brake-except electric parking brake system). Exploded View (Rear disc brake-electric parking brake system)
6) Repeat steps 2 through 6, with the reservoir tank filled at least halfway. Bleed the air in the following order: front (RH), front (LH), rear (RH), rear (LH)
7) Reconnect battery

Watch the reservoir like a hawk, because if you accidentally bleed the fluid past the bottom, you'll need to bleed the master and ABS (in that order) and then bleed the wheels all over again.
Thanks a lot.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome, happy motoring!

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Yeah I didn’t do the abs disconnect on my wife’s 2018. I did it as normal, starting from the right rear working up to the wheel closest to the reservoir. No issues either time. Maybe next time I’ll disconnect the battery to be safe. On a side note, dot 4 changed the bite from the brakes by a noticeable difference.

Leo1818

Thank you both. I just changed the brake fluid. I used the sequence that service manual provided: front (RH), front (LH), rear (RH), rear (LH).

I used a vacuum pump to bleed the front brakes without issue. But I could not get the rear brake bleeding by using that. I then tried the traditionally one man method and it works that way. I suspected my rear bleed screws were rusted and cannot be fully open. But anyway, I should be good before I sell it.

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Not that I’d recommend it. But many a cars are rotting in junk yards with factory fluid in them. I did my 03 Altima at 100k. Not proud by any means, just younger back then and drove cars till the wheels fell off with minimal maintenance. I personally feel that 20k is a little overboard but do it anyways now. Switching to dot 4 was worth it to me.

bngamb
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV

Doing first time brake bleed. Seam that disconnecting the negative battery terminal is much easier than the connector, will need a code for resetting the radio security system after reconnecting battery.

Return to “Rogue Forum”