brake drums...why?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

are there advantages to brake drums over rotors? After spending a lot of time last night trying to figure out how to even take the darn things off of my chevy s-10 i decided they are crap! way to many spring and parts, compared to the front where two alan wrench bolts and voila there goes the caliper, boom now the rotors and bearings. :mad: Oh yeah, this truck had 213,000 miles on the original rear brake drums. crazy huh? the salve cylinders were so coroded it looked like something that's been sitting on the bottom of the ocean for half a century. It also leaked brake fluid, which might have been the reason that when lightly tapping the brake pedal the rear completley locked up. weeeeeee....smash! I must say taht this truck was one of the best things i've ever purchased. a 92 s-10 tahoe with the 4.3 v6. very powerfull when new. talk about a sleeper! nothing ever broke or quit..nothing. replaced the water pump like 5 times, but that's because i was buying NAPA's crap *** rebuilt stuff. i've learned my lesson..OEM only. Interior still looks new, nothing has broke inside. too bad chevy don't make em like that any more. guess my next truck will be a ford or toyota...nah, going with ford. i'll take a picture tonight where i used a rust hole in the wheel well to hold my shop lamp...hahahahaha!

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

Drums don't lock up....other than that they have no advantages...I'd guess they are just cheaper to put on??

I got a Tacoma 4cyl with rear drums, but the V6s have discs, so I'm guessing its a cost thing.

Why not just get another S10, my friend just bought a 98 with the same engine in it. They didn't really change anything.

Mayhem_J30

what do you mean by not locking up, because mine have locked up many times?

you would think drums would cost more with all the parts and the big arse drum

diamondj30
Car: Not to low , not to high , just right .

they willlock up if there is some kinda oil,lets say from a leaking axel bearing.

Mayhem_J30

diamondj30 wrote:they willlock up if there is some kinda oil,lets say from a leaking axel bearing.

how about a leaking cylinder? there was brake fluid everywhere when i took off that drum.:rolleyes guess that's what happens after driving around the world a couple times

diamondj30
Car: Not to low , not to high , just right .

oh ya,dont you wish they changed out easy like your j30 rotors

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

They are cheaper, also are celf cleaning a bit better when dirty.

Other that that discs are much better performing brakes.Which is why are are on all modenr cars.

Fred...:)

deesolballs

palmerwmd wrote:They are cheaper, also are celf cleaning a bit better when dirty.

Other that that discs are much better performing brakes.Which is why are are on all modenr cars.

Fred...:)
Giod purnt Freedd. You are are right as usal! Just poking a little fun at your typing.:D

My old 77 280z had the drums and I don't recall them being that hard to work on. Well, once one of the bolts/lugs broke off and got semi pushed back into the drum but that was the bolt/lug's fault. Are those things called bolts or lugs?

redrocket
Car: 1987 200sx SE, 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic Crew Cab, and 1999 Kawasaki ZX9R

they are studs dees and I have never thank god had to work on drums just have to replace pads like a mo fo need to replace the rear rotors on the ole redrocket

Stoneage_Turbo
Car: just about anything

we got alot of drums here that premaurely lock up , sometimes its dust trapped in there other times its something else . replaced so many shoes that its normal for me , but i still hate drums , they trap dirt, ice,heat and all kinda other crap inside , and here in winter if you use the park brake the damn shoes freeze to the drum if there is water present . changeing the shoes is way eaiser with the proper brake spring tools ....

reminds me i gotta get the drums working on the vette , it has a drum brake inside the rear rotors , damn park brake hasnt worked in 10 years at least

Mayhem_J30

yeah, the park brake was shot to hell too. even though they were self adjusting, they were gone. had to file down the hub on the drivers side because it had turned an almost oval shape over the years and the new drum wouldn't fit over it. got it all back on and started bleeding the brakes and the fluid was like mud. to make it worse i forgot to put the lid bacck on the resivoir and fluid spewed out like a geyser and went all over the motor and down onto the floor. this has been a real pain in the rear. not to bad considering ya only gotta do this once every ten years, 200,000 miles...LOL.

Return to “General Chat”