Bought an overpriced mouse...

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

So I have a Logitech vx Nano mouse. Best mouse I had ever used. Cost me $45 at Costco 2 years ago. So I am getting a laptop from work, and I hate the finger pointer mouse thing. Work will spend $1700 on a laptop for me, but won't spend more than $20 on a mouse.

So I figure I'll buy myself another vx Nano, since it is so awesome. One small problem. They don't make it any longer. So I look at the replacement for it. The Logitech Anywhere MX mouse. Okay, this thing is badass, no denying that. Heavier than the vx, has almost the exact same feel, just a little better, and the side button placement is much more user friendly. Oh, it will work on glass tables too, like I give a f**k.

The downside, and it's a big downside. The God forsaken mouse is $80+ tax. So $86 later I have this damned thing. Don't get me wrong, it rocks. What the hell is Logitech thinking though? There is no way that it cost much, if any more to manufacture than the vx. Who really gives a crap if it works on glass tables. I'm convinced the only reason that they ditched the vx is because if the vx was on the market next to the Anywhere MX, no one aside of the people who own a glass table would spend the extra $35 on the damned Anywhere MX.

To drive my anger further, my $15 coupon for Office Depot doesn't work on cool s**t. Only crap like furniture.

However it does have all the things in a mouse that are necessary. So I sucked it up and paid out for it. Sill a little ticked at the price though.

/rant

RCA

Well the ability to be used on a glass top might is because mice are moving from the "red light" on the bottom to a "no light" (not sure the exact terminology of the tech). So the new technology allows for a much better battery life (assuming you $80+ mouse is wireless). I swap batteries every 2 months or so, instead of every 2-3 weeks (I use my mouse A LOT).

Things you use the most are some times over looked when it comes to spending money...
You use the mouse 50% of the time or more, might as well spend some good moolah on something that is comfortable. I have $3000 in hardware on my desk, but sleep on a POS box spring mattress :facepalm: . As for price, I have seen much more expensive mice than that. I have seen a Razor mouse go for $250 and as a matter of fact, the MX series mice have a "air" mouse that looks pretty bad a*s.

http://cybernetnews.com/logitech-mx-air ... ive-mouse/

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

I own two of those mouses and one vx nano. The mx destroys it in comfort and accuracy. I've got a bit of a pattern to the fabric on my couch and it throws the vx for a bit of a loop. The mx, however, is spot on. I have not found a (flat) surface that it struggles with yet. It sucks that you paid so much for it. I usually buy when they go on sale for around $50 (that's before tax, obviously). Definitely pricey, but an amazing mouse no doubt.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Logitech's high-end mice seem overpriced, but as someone who has used multiple high-end Logi mice (and keyboards) over the years, I absolutely believe that they are worth the extra cash. They're durable, solidly built, and Logitech has ergonomics down pat (especially thumb buttons and scroll wheel). I used my MX518 for years and was always extremely happy with it. The only reason I retired it was to upgrade to the G9 when it hit the market. The G9 is still my mouse of choice.

Also, Logi uses AA batteries in their wireless mice, which I prefer over built-in rechargeables. No docks, no temporary corded-ness while charging (I'm looking at you, MS), no needing to remember to charge the mouse. When the batteries die, you pop new ones in and keep going.

I have never once regretted the $100 I paid for my G9.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

as of right now, I'm happy with my 50 dollar or so G5.

I've had it over a year now...suits me fine for gaming.

for years I was an avid track ball mouse fan...optical mice pissed me off to no end playing FPS's...

mrodrig2
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT

FYI the Anywhere MX is around $60 at Amazon and there's a $15 Logitech rebate that comes and goes. I just got one for $38 with the rebate and a 10% off computer accessories code.

RCA

Return to “Computers / Electronics”