Bought a 720, speedo not working.

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
chimmychongaz
Car: '93 Honda Prelude VTEC/ '93 Nissan 300zx NA/ '73 Datsun 240z

Just got this today as a DD while I work on my 240z:

Got the z20s motor and it's awfully slow, but I love the way it looks and its enough to get to and from work! The speedometer doesn't work though. I checked the gauge by spinning the back where the cable inserts to and it works fine.

I took off the cable from the tranny and hooked up a drill to it and spun it and it registered speed at the speedometer. The only other problem would be the speedometer gear assembly right? The little bracket that holds it in place with that one bolt broke off so it just sits in there, yet I can't seem to pull it out. I'll try prying it tomorrow when there is more light.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement? I've tried searching on google and can't seem to find anything.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

well... i'm not sure about an actual time frame but you can have mine for free sometime soon-ish... i'm doing all new custom gauges here soon and won't need mine anymore... whole cluster for free

if you're still looking when i'm done with it i'll let you know

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

That 720 is megaclean. Does it have the tail gate that says datsun?

Both mine are 84's and say nissan, but I would love a picture of the tailgate.

chimmychongaz

PEZi720 wrote:well... i'm not sure about an actual time frame but you can have mine for free sometime soon-ish... i'm doing all new custom gauges here soon and won't need mine anymore... whole cluster for free

Yes please! I'd def. be interested.

The tailgate has the big NISSAN words on it and little datsun words in the corner.

chimmychongaz

PEZi720 wrote:well... i'm not sure about an actual time frame but you can have mine for free sometime soon-ish... i'm doing all new custom gauges here soon and won't need mine anymore... whole cluster for free

Actually, after re-reading your post. It's not the cluster that I need, it's the pinion or gear that actually inserts in to the transmission that is broken.

I got the gear off today. Sure enough the plastic speedo gear has been worn down on half of it. I can't find a replacement part anywhere so I guess im SoL and have to drive with out a speedo reading.

Also, does anyone know how to wire up a tachometer? I've never had a motor like this one with 8 spark plugs/ two ignition coils and only 4 cyl. I don't know if I'm supposed to wire up to the neg on one ign. coil or both.??

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

chimmychongaz wrote:
I got the gear off today. Sure enough the plastic speedo gear has been worn down on half of it. I can't find a replacement part anywhere so I guess im SoL and have to drive with out a speedo reading.
this happened to mine when i first got it too... it was before i knew anything about cars so i took it to a place called 'speedo shop'.... they fixed it! only about $100... so whatever they did it couldn't have been too bad

Return to “Datsun 720”