Bose head unit connection question

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
cfensch
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

Hello all, this is my first post. Nice to join the community of J30 owners!

Just like so many of us, the CD on my Bose head unit went bad on my '93. A local salvage yard has a '95 Bose head unit — all working — for $75. I'd rather stick with stock stuff, and seeing that it's about $250 to get the thing repaired (and it was repaired once five years ago), I am thinking of just buying the other unit.

The question is, are the connections the same for the '95 as the '93, or does some modification need to be done for the wiring? The '95 has the CD changer option, which my '93 does not, but I don't see that would be a problem. I have heard that the connections are different. Can anyone confirm?

I recently put a pair of '95 seats in my '93, and had to mod the wiring a bit (different connectors), as the 93 does not have heated seats. My mod worked fine on that (nice to have lumbar, too!).

Does anyone know if the '95 head unit will be plug-n-play, or need some modifications?

Thanks all!

Elisha
Car: Infiniti J30

the connection is different. you can get an adapter or make your own. i would recomend repairing it or getting a unit not off a J30.mine went bad and i replaced it with one from a 99 Pathfinder. no quality loss whatsoever......the guy that sold it to me made me the converter cause 95 onwards nissan changed their connection type.

cfensch

Thanks for the advice! I think you just have to get one of the plastic adaptors, run the wires through and add leads to them. I could be wrong, but that's what I did with my seats. Seems like a Pathfinder radio may be less expensive, too. Did it fit exactly in the J30's wide space, or did you have to use a pocket to fill the space?

cfensch

I've also thought about purchasing the adaptor that allows you to use a different head unit with the OEM Bose speakers and amps. They're about $40-$50, and to get a brand new head unit for about $200 is pretty feasible. No existing Bose problems, but get the same (or better) sound. Does anyone have any experience using one of these adaptors? They were made for Maximas and J30s?

Elisha
Car: Infiniti J30

yup it fit perfectly even the screw holes. if i'm not mistaken all Double-Din headunits are standard. even the screw holes matched up.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”