BOSE Audio Thread

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
Simmsled
Car: TSI GTI - E46 325i

After repeating so much info about the elusive and frightening BOSE system, I have decided to put together a Sticky Bose thread to answer questions and ease minds of the Bose system owners.

!!!POST YOUR BOSE STUFF HERE!!!

carlos_knology
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

Instructions for connecting a USA SPEC CD changer to your 1995-1998 Nissan/Infiniti Bose head unit.

http://www.fuzzycats.com/j30_diy.htm

Carlos

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

What is needed to replace factory headunit and keep the factory speakers:

http://www.pac-audio.com/oem1k...+kits

What is needed to keep the factory headunit and replace the factory amps/speakers:

http://www.pac-audio.com/oem1k...+kits

Simmsled

OKAY... after I thought about it for a long while, I decided to make the "Bose" thread a place where everybody can turn for Bose information posted by all of us instead of me just put a bunch of faq. So post away!

This is the BOSE thread... talk about your Bose stuff here. :icesangel

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Didja make it a stickie? :D

My Bose rawx!!!! Granted, I only have the HU and factory rear speakers ;)

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

Ok, so I have a 98 Q45t with the Bose 8 speaker system. To me it sounds pretty decent, but the bass fluctuates alot from song to song, so I'm always adjusting it. Also, the bass kicks a bit, but when it has to repeat fast, it just starts going woop woop instead of tight punch. So i'm thinking to replace the rear subs on the deck. Any input? By my guess the set up consists of 2 tweeters in front, 2 5" or 6" full range in the front doors, 2 5" or 6" full range in the back doors and 2 (unknown size) subs on the rear deck. Is that about right? On my 2000 Honda Civic Si I had the factory head unit with the optional tape deck. I replaced the front door speakers with 6" Alpines and the deck speakers with 6x9" Cerwin Vegas and it sounded great, much better than stock and people would be suprised it was a stock head unit cause it was tight and kicked pretty good.

REACTOR '03
Car: Off-roading, detailing, blowing stuff up!

I was wondering if I could replace the head Unit and still be able to use the Audio controls on the Steering Wheel, on my 2003 Pathfinder. I did change the head Unit on my previous '97Pathfinder. I put in a Pionee DEh 6300. It really made the factory speakers sound decent. I would like to have that sound again without installing a Sub. Never know when that extra space might be needed. Has anyone found that it has helped to add an aftermarke Amp between the Bose speakers and Head Unit or has everyone that has added an aftermarket amp also added speakers. I want the sound and the control. Maybe its wishful thinking to have it all? Perhaps adding a JL Audio Stealth sub would be a better option. I have noticed that if you take out most of the bass in the 6 3/4" speakers that the music is rather clear and you can get highs, but some of us I am sure would rather feel the music than have our ears bleed. Any suggestions???Here are what I see my options as.1. Keep HU add amps and/or speakers. OR2.Add a stealth sub and forget about tuning the bass from the HU.OR3.Screw the steering wheel controls, get a decent HU and enjoy the ride.

audtatious

You can retain the steeting wheel controls by using a PAC SWI-X, but you must have a HU that allows infra-red capabilities (remote control).

If you simply want a new headunit, you can use a PAC ROEM unit. To keep the HU and replace the amps/speakers you will need the PAC AOEM unit.

Silvia2b
Car: 95 240sx se / 07 G35s cpe / 2009 G37s sedan (rear-ended R.I.P.) / 19 Q50 rs400AWD

Just a note; The SWIX piece mentioned will not work with Sony, or Rockford Fosgate headunits, as well as some others. This is because they use a different kind of IR repeater system. The SWIX works well in many cars with factory steering controls. However using the SWIX with an aftermarket headunit will not function exactly the way it does with the factory head unit so be aware of this before adding it. I have had few people unsatisfied with the operation of this unit, simply because they had expectations that it would operate the same as when they had the factory headunit. Have Fun.

mateo

Any instructions / hints on how to get to the back of the HU easily on a J30? I think there is a loose connection to the power because it cut out on me yesterday. Today it worked but I had to reset the radio stations.

Simmsled

Unless the head unit has been removed recently, it most likely isnt the power wire. From what you have told me, it is more likely that your car battery has a low charge. It goes low when you turn off your car and isnt a high enough Voltage to keep the memory in your headunit. It would, however have enough Current to start the car. The alternator boosts the electrical system's Voltage so you would then be able to set your stations. And then when you turn off the car, it goes back to forgetting the stations. Let me know whats up.

mateo

Yeah, I know what you're saying. But I don't think this is the case. The stereo turned on just fine yesterday evening. After I reset the station memory, it saved them (I've driven the car 5 different times since). It seemed to hiccup a few times though. I can't be sure if that was due to the same problem or the CD skipping because of bumps in the road.

nuQ
Car: 2003 M45.
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

having a bose speaker problem in my 90Q. i'm getting a very, very high pitched tone coming from my rear passenger side speaker. seems to happen when i first get in the car. might happen 5 or 6 times then stop. have to turn the stereo off then on again. sometimes might stop on it's own. after driving a little while goes away. i'm sure the speaker/amp is going. can i just pull the plug on the speaker???thanks

Walnuts
Car: 1995 Q45 with TCS 118K

My 95 Q45 has a 10 or 16 pin (not sure which yet) connector in the trunk where the previous owner had the oem infiniti\nissan\sony 10 disk changer. For some reason he wanted the oem changer. If I were to buy a USA SPEC changer like the one described eralier in this thread, would it connect directly to the connector in the trunk or would I have to run some wire back to the head unit?

Rex
Car: None

Walnuts wrote:My 95 Q45 has a 10 or 16 pin (not sure which yet) connector in the trunk where the previous owner had the oem infiniti\nissan\sony 10 disk changer. For some reason he wanted the oem changer. If I were to buy a USA SPEC changer like the one described eralier in this thread, would it connect directly to the connector in the trunk or would I have to run some wire back to the head unit?

It's an either or situation. If you get the factory unit (Sony 10 disc, check ebay) it's plug and play, anything else is not going to be integrated and will requiree a full installation even if it's thru an FM modulator.

sachmo12345

alright i have a 95 Maxima with bose and id like to put a sub in the back can someone tell me what i need to do

audtatious

This, + amp + sub

sachmo12345

the link doesnt work the whole site is down

audtatious

Try it again. Works for me every time...

sachmo12345

yea i was wrong i had peerguardian running thats why it wasnt workin but the site doesnt say the price

audtatious

$59.95 list. Use Google to see if you can find it cheaper.

Walnuts
Car: 1995 Q45 with TCS 118K

Rex wrote:It's an either or situation. If you get the factory unit (Sony 10 disc, check ebay) it's plug and play, anything else is not going to be integrated and will requiree a full installation even if it's thru an FM modulator.

Thanks for the response REX. The more I think about it the less inclined I am to spend $120+ for a oem changer. I'm now leaning towards using an mp3 player through a cassette adapter or if possible an AUX input. This leads me to my next question. Has anyone found a way to turn the CD changer button to an AUX input? I imagine that the wire bundle out to the the oem changer must contain a low or high level input that I could connect to a mini jack. Any ideas? I have searched for an BOSE OEM aux input adapter to convert the CD button to an AUX without any success. I am hoping that someone has a pin out diagram for the CD changer connection. Thanks

I have a 1995 Q45.

carlos_knology
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

Here's my 2 cents on replacing JUST the Bose head unit in my 95 Infiniti J30.

I completed my Bose head unit replacement project. Everything went off without a hitch. As stated by J30 leopard in the Infinti General forum, I had to use the OEM metal bracket to mount the new head unit (ISO mounting). The OEM metal bracket holds both the new head unit and the AC controls (just like before).

I also used this adapter (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi...4NN03). It allows you to replace JUST the Bose head unit in Nissan/Infiniti cars without the need to replace the Bose speakers and amps. It basically converts the amplified "high level" speaker signal from the new head unit back down to a low-level signal (just like the signal from the Bose head unit). Best of all, it comes with the Nissan/Infinti harness so it just connects to the existing harnesses in your car. The other end connects to the new head unit.

I'm very pleased with the results. I bought all my stuff from Crutchfield. I did, however, have LIE to the Crutchfield web site. I had to tell it that my car is a 1995 Nissan Maxima w/Bose system. If I told it I had a 1995 Infiniti J30, the site would tell me that nothing they sell fits my vehicle. I happen to know that the head unit in the '95 Maxima is the same head unit in the J30. Keep in mind that this trick only works for replacing your head unit. The speaker sizes are probably different between the J30 and the Maxima.

In any case, by doing this, Crutchfield sent all the appropriate goodies to do the install on the J30. The goodies were: Nissan FM antenna adapter, Nissan installation kit (plastic storage pocket). These fit the J30 just fine.

The system sounds great and I now finally have a AUX input for my beloved XM satellite radio.

Carlos

Rex
Car: None

Walnuts wrote:Thanks for the response REX. The more I think about it the less inclined I am to spend $120+ for a oem changer. I'm now leaning towards using an mp3 player through a cassette adapter or if possible an AUX input. This leads me to my next question. Has anyone found a way to turn the CD changer button to an AUX input? I imagine that the wire bundle out to the the oem changer must contain a low or high level input that I could connect to a mini jack. Any ideas? I have searched for an BOSE OEM aux input adapter to convert the CD button to an AUX without any success. I am hoping that someone has a pin out diagram for the CD changer connection. Thanks

I have a 1995 Q45.

Well, there has been talk about someone fabricating an adapter to allow you to do Aux Input through CD changer jack, I think I have the pin outs somewhere if someon is so inclined :D.

I like you just opted to use (MD here instead of MP3) a cassette adapter and that worked fine until I got tired of the wire hagning down the front of the dash ALL the time. So, I eventually but a later model In-Dash CD Bose unit in, that will "supposedly" support the OEM CD changer if I ever (decide/find) get one.

p.s. I have an "extra" Bose in dash CD (requires a Nissan adaper) if anyone is interested (use email through profile).

larryt
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4X4

I plan to use a dedicated sub amp and bandpass box from my last car to add to the Bose system in my 2002 Pathfinder LE, using the PAC adapter listed above. Gutting the system is not an option, too hard to integrate stock navigation and DVD. Two questions:

1. Before I start removing door panels, does anyone where is the amp located on this vehicle?

2. I had this sub system in a Jeep with factory Infiniti system. It sounded pretty good. Has anyone tried adding just an amp and sub to the Bose? How does it sound? There always seems to be level problems between the satellites and sub in these systems, but if it's not too bad, I'll go for it.

sachmo12345

thats what i wanted to do in my 95 Maxima with bose just add a sub and amp i had never heard of any problems with the sound

is there a problem that happens when you add a sub this may but a damper on my plans if it messed up when the two are combined

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

On http://www.Q45.org i have an article that I gave on adding a sub to bose..

Basically you hok it up as normal and take your speaker level inputs to the amp and from the actual speakers on the bose speakers...

I have since blown 1 bose amp, and it is COMPLETELY key to tap from both sides so you dont draw as much power from just one.. You may consider getting them rebuilt as well...

REACTOR '03
Car: Off-roading, detailing, blowing stuff up!

I added a 10"MTX sub and 200watt amp to the Bose in my '97 Pathfinder SE with no problem. I would not reccomend tapping a signal from anywhere around the amp. I would also use one of those devices that turns the speaker level out puts to line level, for less trouble. The line was tapped directly from behind the head unit. I know its pretty much a line level coming from the Back of the Bose but I used the converter because I felt better using RCA plugs to connect to the Amp. I had it in for about 2-3 years with not damage to the Bose Amps, or speakers. The RCA plugs are also useful in case you want to change the Head Unit to something that can control a sub. Then its like plug and play. The sub worked well because it allowed me to take the bass out of the door and use the door speakers to handle the midrange, even the tweeters in the A pillar sounded more crisp.R3

Trung1130
Car: 94 and 99 Infiniti Q45T

Does anybody know how to get access 1994 Q rear speakers? I just don't want to brake anything?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Youll have to remove the rear package shelf... take out the back seat and then its held on by clips. the little box and the speaekrs will come as an assy...

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”