boosting my KA24E

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
bradyDlight
Car: 1990 nissan 240 sx ka-24E

i have a ka24e with about 30k on it. and i want to throw a t3/t4 hybrid ebay turbo kit w/ frontmount kit. how well do these work? and how long will my motor last?

Gabes13
Car: rb20det s13

Without some kind of tune or e-management, the motor won't last long at all. Those ebay turbos are a hit-and-miss. Sometimes the seals blow out quick and some last a little longer than others. The blow off valves are similar, they may have a tendency to leak. Over all, I think with a different turbo, some bigger injectors and engine management you should be pretty good.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

you can install kit and definitely get something to tune with and once it runs okay swap out to a nice turbo and tune.

240sxAli4Life
Car: 1990 S13 Hatch SOHC... SOLD :(
1993 S13 Hatch DOHC!! Super Sexy!!

I say dont buy a "cheap" ebay turbo kit!!! The ebay turbos, and BOVS are junk!! When they spool it sounds like s***, and they dont last long at all!! Buy a sr20det fmic and piping kit off ebay (most of them fit the ka also) Get a megan racing down pipe, test pipe, and a 3 inch exhaust! Get a stock sr20det turbo (either a T25 or T28), Buy a peak boost or any turbo manifold really, and get a Good BOV, i reccomend getting an HKS SSQV! And defenently get a TUNE!! Buy one of those plug and play AEM EMS and hook it up, or if you cant afford that just chip your ecu, and get a dyno tune!! But i would have the turbo set on 7PSi, and i would bore out your throttle body for extra air! And of course get bigger fuel injectors (370CC), and a walbro 255ph fuel pump!! But GET IT TUNED!! My estimation with this setup, you will probobly have 275whp at least, tuned on about 7-8 pounds of boost!! DONT GO HIGHER PSI THAN THAT IF YOU WANT YOUR SOHC TO LAST WITH STOCK ENGINE INTERNALS!!

240sxAli4Life

i forgot that you have basically a brand new engine and i told you to b0re out your throtte body! If you tune it and take my advice on that you may even be in the low 300whp area!!! SOHC ka engines are very durable!! I am buying a DOHC ka 240 and im gonna turbo that, but SOHC is great too!! I had a 1990 all stock except exhaust and test pipe, and it ran!! SOHC are great!!

Gabes13

You wont be anywhere close to 300whp with a t28 at 7psi on a single cam. You wont even get passed 250whp without changing the mafs. Not to mention, at that power level you're already maxing out the 370cc injectors you recommended. And you don't have to bore out the throttle body especially if your only going to run 7 pounds on a tiny t28. The head is more constrictive than the throttle body.

bradyDlight

i really appreciate all the help. this is my first nissan so im trying to learn as much as i can. ive built a 91 talon tsi. and a 91 intergra type R. but all cars are so different that power parts very so much i have no clue what to do and i gotta start at the bottem

240sxAli4Life

Gabes13 wrote:You wont be anywhere close to 300whp with a t28 at 7psi on a single cam. You wont even get passed 250whp without changing the mafs. Not to mention, at that power level you're already maxing out the 370cc injectors you recommended. And you don't have to bore out the throttle body especially if your only going to run 7 pounds on a tiny t28. The head is more constrictive than the throttle body.
DUDE I NEVER SAID YOU HAD TO BORE OUT YOUR THROTTLE BODY ON 7 TO 8 PSI!! I said that if you want more power! Now if you bore out the throttle body, and the block, and you run 8 psi, and get it tuned, and everything else i said, you should be in the high 200s whp!! And yea your right, i forgot to tell him to put a bigger maf sensor (get a 300zx maf), and yes i messed up with the 370cc injectors! When your pushing more than 250whp you need bigger injectors than 370cc! (550cc) But other than that ya you should be in the high 200s whp, low 300whp! The SOHC engine is a very capable, tourqy engine!!! I would have built up my SOHC but there were other reasons why i sold mine, so im deciding while i sell mine i may just buy a DOHC ka24de one next!!

240sxAli4Life

Gabes13 wrote:You wont be anywhere close to 300whp with a t28 at 7psi on a single cam. You wont even get passed 250whp without changing the mafs. Not to mention, at that power level you're already maxing out the 370cc injectors you recommended. And you don't have to bore out the throttle body especially if your only going to run 7 pounds on a tiny t28. The head is more constrictive than the throttle body.

And BTW that crappy cx racing turbo kit for the SOHC ka pushed 232whp on the dyno, (its on youtube) and it had stock fuel injectors, no tune, running 7 psi, it had stock maf, and a stock cat converter!! So what i said before with his tune and s***, he should be at high 200swhp, or into the low 300whp range!!

Gabes13

You mentioned a t28 silvia turbo though, not a t3/t4 like in the cx racing kit. A t3/t4 turbo would make more power than a t28 with the same psi. You absolutely NEED some kind of fuel management when you throw a turbo on a motor that never came with one.

kyhunter89
Car: 1989 240sx 5 speed

240sxAli4Life wrote: And BTW that crappy cx racing turbo kit for the SOHC ka pushed 232whp on the dyno, (its on youtube) and it had stock fuel injectors, no tune, running 7 psi, it had stock maf, and a stock cat converter!! So what i said before with his tune and s***, he should be at high 200swhp, or into the low 300whp range!!
please gain knowledge

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

Moving this the KA-t.

240sxAli4Life

kyhunter89 wrote:
240sxAli4Life wrote: And BTW that crappy cx racing turbo kit for the SOHC ka pushed 232whp on the dyno, (its on youtube) and it had stock fuel injectors, no tune, running 7 psi, it had stock maf, and a stock cat converter!! So what i said before with his tune and s***, he should be at high 200swhp, or into the low 300whp range!!
please gain knowledge
Excuse me?? I am very knowledgeable about this subject!! Your dumb a** comment is a waste of space!!

240sxAli4Life

Gabes13 wrote:You mentioned a t28 silvia turbo though, not a t3/t4 like in the cx racing kit. A t3/t4 turbo would make more power than a t28 with the same psi. You absolutely NEED some kind of fuel management when you throw a turbo on a motor that never came with one.
I know that! But if you did what i said, and of course do a TUNE to the fuel you will be pushing low 300hp!! Everyone underestimates the SOHC KA!! hell, alot of people underestimate the KA24DE!! When nissan made the KA engines they had torque in mind!! They are very capable engines, and they in my opinion are the best 4 bangers out there!! :dblthumb:

Izek
Car: Black 89 240sx coupe - stock

Duuuuuuuuuuude i gotta turbo mineeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! ill prob just get an sr or rb though.

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

240sxAli4Life wrote:
Excuse me?? I am very knowledgeable about this subject!! Your dumb a** comment is a waste of space!!
Dude, obviously you've done a lot of research and you probably are quite knowledgeable about turbocharging KA's and what not, but your posts come out as such unorganized jumbles of random information with little to no detail whatsoever that it makes it kinda hard to take you seriously.

and holy exclamation-points Batman!!!!!

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

240sxAli4Life wrote:\I had a 1990 all stock except exhaust and test pipe, and it ran!!
^^ lol

dude you have the right idea, and nobody is bashing the ka24e. they are bashing the idea of 7-8 psi making close to 300whp from a t28 (at best) and most turbo's on our ka's arent going to make 300whp on that boost. sorry bud but its not happening. even with a tune (which is good your mentioning).

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

SX APPEAL wrote:
240sxAli4Life wrote:
Dude, obviously you've done a lot of research and you probably are quite knowledgeable about turbocharging KA's and what not, but your posts come out as such unorganized jumbles of random information with little to no detail whatsoever that it makes it kinda hard to take you seriously.

and holy exclamation-points Batman!!!!!
+1

Calm down and think before you type.

lexcrob
Car: I get a different ride faster than I could update this.

FMU-will work well up to 8 or so psi depending on where you search

In "theory" you get roughly 15hp per pound of boost so stock rwhp any --> 240sx- 130 AT BEST

7 psi puts you at 235 I would say that is a ROUGH number due to so many factors coming into play.

Putting a horsepower number to boost level is really a waste of time even to guess at without more information or a refernce
- Compressor efficiency, charge temps, flow rates, ignition timing, fuel.....

In other words for example
A-stock everything engine 6psi boost not intercooler=200hp

B- got mild cams, bigole intercooler, msd ignition system 6psi= 240hp

In other words you probly could get even say 300hp on 6psi you would just have to raise the compression. Kinda like a boosted h22 or b18c1 OMG power low low boost levels. Im just saying......

martins_240sx
Car: 1990 240sx hatch, 1975 280z, 2005 F150 fx4

ummm....wow...wow....you sir are way off on the 300hp claim....it is mathematically 10hp per 1 lb of boost...making it close to 80 hp MATHEMATICALLY...that wont actually equate into true numbers. but if it did you would only see 230 ish. when I was running 8.5 lbs on my sohc i dynoed out at 225hp 232tq with 50lb injectors intercooled and full standalone. i didnt even come close to 300 until i broke into the teens. didnt hit 400's until 20+lbs. your numbers are wrong. I have more into my sohc than some people have in there entire car. I know what im talking about. if you have any questions op send me an I.M. or post it here and i will help you to my fulliest abilities.

MY CREDENTIALS

bradyDlight

martins_240sx wrote:ummm....wow...wow....you sir are way off on the 300hp claim....it is mathematically 10hp per 1 lb of boost...making it close to 80 hp MATHEMATICALLY...that wont actually equate into true numbers. but if it did you would only see 230 ish. when I was running 8.5 lbs on my sohc i dynoed out at 225hp 232tq with 50lb injectors intercooled and full standalone. i didnt even come close to 300 until i broke into the teens. didnt hit 400's until 20+lbs. your numbers are wrong. I have more into my sohc than some people have in there entire car. I know what im talking about. if you have any questions op send me an I.M. or post it here and i will help you to my fulliest abilities.

MY CREDENTIALS
damn that thing is so sick. ya my 240 is just so gutless. im already sick of it. so i priced out a new cat back exhaust. fmic kit. and a t3/t4 turbo kit all off ebay. just to get some more because i dont wanna motor swap. are there any other power add ons for these motors that are key?

bradyDlight

i mean of course other then an bigger mafs, tune, injectors, cams...... what am i missing?

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

bradyDlight wrote:i mean of course other then an bigger mafs, tune, injectors, cams...... what am i missing?
It's not a matter of missing anything, it's a matter of figuring out your end goal. Once you figure out a couple things you can easily pick up everything you need...depending of course on your level of craziness :chuckle: I don't do anything just a little bit, so I always have to plan for more .

What are you doing with the car? Is it just a daily? How much if any track time will it see? Most importantly, what's the budget look like?

The SOHC has the benefit of lower compression pistons, so you can already run more boost then the DE without detonation.

WD

240sxAli4Life

martins_240sx wrote:ummm....wow...wow....you sir are way off on the 300hp claim....it is mathematically 10hp per 1 lb of boost...making it close to 80 hp MATHEMATICALLY...that wont actually equate into true numbers. but if it did you would only see 230 ish. when I was running 8.5 lbs on my sohc i dynoed out at 225hp 232tq with 50lb injectors intercooled and full standalone. i didnt even come close to 300 until i broke into the teens. didnt hit 400's until 20+lbs. your numbers are wrong. I have more into my sohc than some people have in there entire car. I know what im talking about. if you have any questions op send me an I.M. or post it here and i will help you to my fulliest abilities.

MY CREDENTIALS
Anyway i dont give a s*** bout the 300hp thing!! Whatever! But i do want to see more of your car!! And what is up with your intake manifold? It looks like a supercharger! Is it? And is that even possible to run a turbo and a supercharger??? Send me more pics of your 240sx SOHC! Is it on Youtube???????

lexcrob

The 15hp per 1psi was just a rough estimate and if you go from stock rwhp it works pretty good as long as the comp. ratio stays same.

sohc 240sx- 100hp-8psi boost = bout where u where at
^ 100hp-20psi boost= O bout 400 weird how that actually works pretty good

I was not sayin that its the mathmatical formula for powa i wish just a rough number. If you really wanted to get #'s you could fig. the cfm from ur motor look at turbo compressor maps(if anyone can really read em) and come up with some crazy accurate estimations factoring in compression ration and fuel.

Now ur build..........heart and soul much? AMAZINGLY awesome !!!

*i did make a complete wiring harness to convert rb20det-into 95 240sx (not done to often or at least shared information)
*and rebuild a honda motor back stock specs. hone myself all homegrown runs PERFECT sold to buddy

Im not just the guy on forums sayin this guy that guy.....

lexcrob

OP - CAUTION on buying ebay turbo kits - everything is kinda hit or miss but the biggest thing the turbo

Essentially its part of your engine if it blows ---ur engine might probly could BLOW
Then again if you buy a 1000 Garrett and ur motor blows ---yeap u guessed it^

All im saying is for instance buy the kit sell it on craig's and pick up an oem unit or buy reman and or new.
T25's on sr20 red top
T28 on sr20 blacktop
T25 HYBRID rb20's
T25 better hybrid rb25
Bigger than that i really have no idea dsm's might work they get touch bigger 16G sumtin im not turbo guru these are readily avail. and honestly despite what everyone seems to thing -a ball bearing t25 is probly good for 230-250. CHEAP route or maybe someone knows where to get better SANILS for cheapish??? GOODLUCK

As far a fuel obviously the next piece of the puzzel i dont know what the heck nissan guys do. I know two nissan guys making powa 1 procharged 350z came with two tuned ecu's JW LOL..... Other guy safc and or emulae..?? he car runs like JUNK

In other words---cheap route piggy's safc greddy etc. fiddly
---fmu limited power but works still dumb 100+ psi dumb dumb
---$$$ dyno time and more $$$
---rom editing honestly i read into it and WTF stupid stuff for real you gotta be kidding nissan
---megasquirt u gotta work a like NASA to set that snap up

LETS MAKE THIS A THREAD^ why nissan messed alot up sadly only cheap RWD platform only reason they popular

liteemup39496
Car: '89 s13 Coupe ka24et - 400whp w/ac eta 2014
'91 s13 Hatch vh45de - the track bunny
'95 a32 Maxima vq30de - Daily pretty and quick

i have the cx racing kit and your going to need alot more then what the kit has to make it reliable

so far ive replaced ever fastener that came with the kit , also decided to go with the NICO route for oil feed instead on the crappy splitter that came with the kit,
heat wrapped my manifold and dp, i am tuning realtime via Moates ostrich and Innovate LC-1, i replaced the wastegate that came with the kit with an emusa (witch can be rebuilt using tial parts btw) also i am using RX7 460cc injectors and an n60 maf @ 11psi and 1st and 2nd gear is a joke, also your gonna need at least a stage 3 clutch with this setup

its a good starter setup but i suggest going with a Gladman manifold. i am picking up a short block soon to do a forged setup over the winter im looking to run 18+ psi next year

boost is addictive dude

martins_240sx
Car: 1990 240sx hatch, 1975 280z, 2005 F150 fx4

yes it is a supercharger strapped to where my plenum used to be, and there is a turbo strapped to the exhaust side. you can find more if you search for true pig build

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”