blown relay/fuse during radio install--help?

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
bioheath

OK I was stupid. I didn't disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and I blew something when I hooked the harness up on a radio I was installing.

Here are the symptoms: the clock looses power when the key is turned off. The buzzer (headlights left on, fasten seatbelt, lights left on) stopped working but is slowly coming back, the automatic seatbelts only move when the car is cranked. If you turn the car off before opening the door you are stuck.

I checked the fuses inside and they all look good. Any ideas what to check next? It seems there is a problem with power to things when the car isn't cranked. Is there a common point?

Thanks!

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Welcome to NICO!

First off in order for someone to answer you question completely, we need to know what type of vehicle you were installing the radio in?

bioheath

It is a 93 Sentra XE. I installed a harness that hooked to the Nissan harness and matched up the wires to the harness that came with the older Sony head unit I was installing. The colors all matched up correctly so I thought I was good. I have been reading more on it and now it seems that the ground on the Nissan harness may not work, and that I may need to ground the head unit to the chassis because the factory radio may have grounded through the antenna.

Maybe thats why it blew? I still can't figure out how to get the seat belts, clock, warning buzzer and dome light working again though. I am going to start swapping the fuses that look good today just to see if one is blown even though it doesn't appear to be.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”