Blown head gasket

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
rajswetan
Car: FX35, 120K miles

I am a complete novice to car related mechanical issues. Recently took my FX35 which had about 120K miles to a repair shop with good yelp review in suwanee , GA . Completed a 120K service and got the coolant drained and replaced. After i got the car back ran it for about 40/50 miles and got a check engine light. Towed it back to the repair shop and they replaced radiator, waterpump, thermostat and ran diagnostics and mentioned i have a blown head gasket. Checked the price tag and it was going to be close to 3K. I have asked the repair shop to go ahead with the service. My question is as follows

* Is it possible the coolant drain performed incorrectly may have caused this issue ?
* Is the price tag of 3K for head gasket replacement reasonable
* Besides once its repaired will the car function normally and will i be able to use for another two years / 30K miles

I also had the buubling on the DASH . Called Infiniti consumer affairs and lodged a case. They are willing to pay for the material and want me to shell out for the labor. The labor on that from what i last heard of is close to 6oo bucks .

Any suggestions from you experts on the forum is valuable and will help me with my situation

rajswetan
Car: FX35, 120K miles

Finally got my car back with 3.2 K bill. Radiator, waterpump, thermostat and gasket replacement. Car was running kind of rough . I took it to a Infiniti Master technician @Gwinnettperformance.com. He did another round of testing and certified the cooling issue . he also ran diagnostics and reset some engine setups to factory values and also changed a few of them. All of that for 95 bucks. The cars runs amazing now. Let me know if anyone has any specific questions

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

$3k for the work you described seems overpriced. Did you validate that your radiator did in fact need to be replaced? What about your water pump? Water pumps seldom fail and prior to failing they will make a loud noise and also leak.

Did you experience any issues at all with your FX prior to having it serviced? The issue you described is seldom a problem that occurs out the blue, rather a problem that has tell tale signs prior to failing.

Making matters worse regarding the price you paid, is that you also had to take your FX to a different mechanic after paying $3k to have the work inspected. :facepalm:

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”