Blown head gasket, possible other issues?

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
constmech
Car: 2000 Altima se

recently purchased a 2000 Altima se it has a blown head gasket. Im not worried about doing the repair just wondering if there are any items to look for other than the obvious and any thing that works better for longer service life
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon May 23, 2016 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised title

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

You may want to do the timing chain while you are in there. Timing tensioners often go out around 100k mi. You have to remove the head with the intake manifold still attached because the intake bolts are inaccessible. Then the lower chain requires you to remove the engine mounts and oil pan.

constmech

ok that's probably a good idea as I wont have to make a tensioner tool that way car has 138k on it I bought it for my grandson as a first car over all the car is ok just needs some tlc

constmech

ok i ended up replacing the engine as I am having trouble finding the spec on how to set the initial ignition timing do to the distributor had to be swapped usually there's a procedure to set it and then the comp does the rest

Timothy S

It was 18-22degrees behind top dead center for setting ignition timing. I've set it without unplugging anything in the past, but made sure the AC was off. Still, the engine replacement should have solved the problems.

constmech

Ive gotten it all back together, tried to start it tonight no fire tried some brake cleaner in the throttle body it starts momentarily is it possible that due to the battery being disconnected that something needs reset i havent checked fuel pressure yet just doing this at the end of the days work at my shop

constmech

as far as i know all the connectors are hooked up the one thing is the crank pos sednsor and the cam sensor have the same plug i need to look at the diagram to see what color wire goes to wich as the loom could get crossed as they are close in proximity

Timothy S

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when turning the key to accessory position? Maybe the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line on the fuel rail? Or is the rail connected to the wrong fuel line?
All that is for no fuel pressure.
Fuel pressure should be 34psi.
If you do have fuel pressure, check the electrical connectors on the distributor. One of these connectors provides the camshaft position signal to the ecm to time the injection pulse. You also have a crank position sensor on the bell housing. If both of these are working, a noid light can verify injector pulse.

constmech

is it possible that i have the crank and cam sensors reversed as they both have the same plug and are near each other

Timothy S

Crank sensor has a brown and black with white wire.
Cam sensor on the distributor has white with green and black with white wires.

constmech

ok those are correct now maybe a stupid question, fuel line from filter connects to regupator or do I have them swapped

constmech

ok it wasn't a stupid question they were swapped starts on first try just need to tune and top off fluids

Timothy S

I think the line from the fuel pump goes through the filter to the rail. The regulator is connected to the other line, the return line. Sounds like you did a great job checking it out.
Congratulations!

constmech

these cars aren't my normal the engines I work on usually weigh as much as this whole car I stopped working on cars about the time these type systems were coming into play all in all the job turned out pretty good . I appreciate all your help

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”