Blow off valve atmosphere vs recirculation?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

I was wondering if the recirulation kits for BOV's only do any real good at idle or are they good across the board. I was looking at the Blitz and HKS Bov's and I noticed that they are supposedly closed at idle. If they are closed at idle wouldnt that mean I can get an atmospheric Bov and not worry about side effects of the MAFS?:confused:

What does the atmospheric bov effect on a mafs controlled car?:confused: (Im really too tired to think of the physics/mechanics of it) *also who had the bright idea of only letting us search with 4 or more letters, I already tried to search BOV but that appearantly doesnt work.:confused:

Daunttless

A MAFs equiped car will have issues on hard shifts because the air will have already been metered, and then it doesn't show up in the engine. However, no one told the ECU it wasn't there so you'll run rich for a split second after shifting causing jerking and stumbling.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Daunttless wrote:A MAFs equiped car will have issues on hard shifts because the air will have already been metered, and then it doesn't show up in the engine. However, no one told the ECU it wasn't there so you'll run rich for a split second after shifting causing jerking and stumbling.

Its a small studder, similar to a clutch engaging and when you are on the throttle which you have to be in order to boost the studder is hardly felt.

SpeedRacer1

So what im gathering is that I can get an atmospheric BOV if it stays closed at idle.

Avram
Car: Driving my slow 240

What about venting to atmosphere before the MAF? (running "blow-through" ?)

SpeedRacer1

Yikes...

Sintax

Quote »Avram: What about venting to atmosphere before the MAF? (running "blow-through" ?) [/quote]

actually it does work, and i've seen one or two cars here in the US that are running in a blow-through method. It tends to be more popular in Japan and Au. i've seen it discussed on a few other boards recently.

here:http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads ... o=&fpart=1

and here:http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads ... o=&fpart=1

hope this may clear a few things up.

-scott

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

I second the blow through MAF, I just did mine on sunday, and it makes a big difference in drivibility. Some people told me it wouldn't work, or that it would be a waste but trust me, it feels MUCH nicer off boost now. Having the MAF 5in from the TB as opposed to 5ft and an intercooler really makes a difference in throttle response and smoothness.

Useually if you keep the BOV 'tight' you won't have problems with stumbling, or if you have somthing like the Emanage, just take it really lean bellow 1,000rpm and it won't stall when shifting (normally).

I know a guy who dose a chip, that also would get rid of the problem.

later,

PaulOrlando, FL

Mlaurie69
Car: Jetskiing

Cool...that is good information and it makes perfect since......So I would move the MAFS over to the Throtle Body side, just after the BOV.

Another bonus here is I can still have the nice Wossh sound of the BOV dumping pressure to the Atmosphere. :)

neergnevets

yeh plumb back bov's are a great. Had the apex'i bov on my sr20det for a while, bloody terrible. Like the other blokes said, makes the car run rich and if you have a 85mm exhaust, a little back-firing. Sold it and bought a turbosmart plumb back and had change to spare.

You guys do know that the sr20det runs a std internal bov right, that you take out!!!

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

neergnevets wrote:You guys do know that the sr20det runs a std internal bov right, that you take out!!!

Nobody (well allmost nobody) here runs the stock BOV since it's part of the intercooler settup, and when people over here do the swap they just start out with a big intercooler.

bwalker240

Movingviolation240 wrote:Nobody (well allmost nobody) here runs the stock BOV since it's part of the intercooler settup, and when people over here do the swap they just start out with a big intercooler.

I'm running the stock IC and BOV in my 98 S14 (haven't turned up the boost yet).

For those of you running front mount IC, do you ever take the car to the track (not drag or autocross - track events like time trials). Any problems with cooling because of the IC?

ITR_KILLR

I've got a 95 200, could I run my MAF before the TB too?

neergnevets

was the s14 body sold in the US? does it look the same the japanese s14? What are one of those worth? ballpark figures? Sorry i relise im getting off the topic but its exciting to see that the USA has a silvia community!!!!! Fair dinkum

SpeedRacer1

Yes we recieved the S14 with both the rounded headlights and the angled headlights. So overall we recieved both the S13 and S14, all with KA24(D)E engines and no SR's. There were no SR20DET's sold in North America to my knowledge and that is why they are so expensive. An S14 here will be about $4000 to $10000 US dollars depending on location and quality.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”