Bleeding brakes when empty

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
ImaSTAT
Car: Versa S 2010

Hello,

I just finished replacing the calipers, wheel cylinders and brake lines on our Versa 2010 (no ABS). I did not want to mess with fluid getting all over the place, so I drained it all properly. Then, I thought after topping the brake fluid reservoir I would simply have to bleed it like I always bleeded brakes, respecting the bleeding order from the service manual. So, I cracked the bleed open on the rear passenger wheel cylinder, waiting for fluid to get out by gravity... but nothing. I was expecting a lot of air in the lines, so I decided to give it a try at the closest one from the master cylinder (front driver caliper), but no more luck. I let the bleeder screw open for 3 hours, not even a bubble.

So, with a tube going from the bleeder to a bottle partially filled with brake fluid (where sits the other end of the tube), I tried to push/release the brake pedal (half way thru) 4 or 5 times. Still nothing. I repeated for about 20 shots, still nothing. Now, I don't want to break anything by pumping the brakes too much (I don't know if that can hurt the master cylinder if there is no fluid in the lines).

From what I've read on threads around the web, it seems like the MC has to be bled too, but I do not understand why it won't fall down by gravity ? Because lines would be full of air ? I haven't started the car, but with the key on ignition, the pedal was very smooth for the first 3 or 4 shots, but then was kinda normal, but no fluid goes down. It does not move a notch in the reservoir.

Some people suggested to use a syringe, and push back the fluid from the bleeder screw (bottom to top). Would that be the easiest way to fix my problem ? If so, do I simply leave the bleeder screw on, attach a tube to the syringe and push it all through ?

I have also read to make a loop with a tube from master cylinder bleeder valve to the reservoir and pump the pedal. I don't even know where the "bleeder" is for the master cylinder.

Otherwise, I guess using a vaccuum pump bleeder would work as well ?

What would be the easiest way to achieve this without buying additionnal tools ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”