Bit of a delimma.

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
AustinandSarah
Car: 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Ok guys here's whats up. I've been a big fan of the Skyline since i first saw it in Gran Turismo 2 back in 2000 when my dad got me a PS2 for christmas. Then The Fast and the Furious came out and kept that passion alive. After 2 Fast 2 Furious came out, i swore to myself that one day i would own an R34 GTR. Sadly, after learning about the Motorex scandal and how Skylines not 25 years old with the exception of the 1996-1998 R33's weren't legal, i was heartbroken. But, since I'm stubborn, i do plan on getting an R34 after they become legal in the US. That being said, I have a bit of a delimma. My wife has ok'd the idea of getting a Skyline next year. I have already contacted JDM Legends about a classic one, and i love the looks of the early to mid 80's Skylines. But, i also love the R33 sedans. This may be more of a question of opinion, but which one? We're only going to be able to get one of the two. I know about how much it will cost for an R31, but as to the R33, i know not. I'm not looking for anything fancy with the sedan (or coupe, the jury is still out) but i do want a manual. It doesn't have to be a GT-R, thoug it would be nice. I want to keep costs as low as possible. I know some of you guys have been in the game for a while and know practically everything you need to know about getting one. I have read the thread "So you want to buy a Skyline in the US..." but i still lack the knowledge of where to go, who would be a credible source to contact (maybe an RI one of you guys are familiar with) and estimated costs. Being in the military, I prefer when things are already taken care of to make the process as easy as possible. I always pay attention to detail, which is why i guess my E7 is so fond of me. LOL. In all seriousness, I guess i just want/need to know what i need to do prior to attempting to legally import an R33.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

The 96-98 are on the list for eligibility to import, BUT...

It still won't become fully legal due to the OBD II issue. There is a lot of discussion about it. Pretty much puts the nail in the coffin.

Sean Morris is pretty much the go-to guy, though. Might want to wait and see if he pops in and breaks it down for ya.

AustinandSarah

Huh, I thought in 96 cars were to be converted to OBDII, or is that just in the US? Looks like that could be a problem. At least getting an early to mid 80's model will be easier. Maybe I'm too stubborn for my own good. lol

USsil80

There is a r33 for sale from raw brokerage 29k..
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Is that Skyline fed legal?
If not, not at all worth that much money. Hell, that price is more than what I paid for my GT-R here in Japan.

usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

With your situation, since you wouldn't be able to do an R34 GTR for many years anyway, an R33 wouldn't fill the void especially with the technicalities and headache of trying to make it legal (which some assert is impossible, note Gold Digger's post above).

An R30 or R31 would be better because of the 25 year exemption and the reasonable prices on them. Someone correct me, but all you should need is the HS-7 declaration form with the appropriate declared exemption code (stating the car is 25 years old and doesn't need to comply with FMVSS, DOT, EPA, etc.).

AustinandSarah

Yeah, kinda looks like we got shafted on the R33. "It's legal but..." sort of thing. Currently my wife and I are looking into an R31 wagon. At least it's a Skyline and will hold me until the R34 is legal. Unless that gets screwed up...

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

There is a R30 for sale in MD somewhere, I think 9K cash

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”