Bike Rack for G37s convertible

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
TPLSFUN
Car: 2010 G37 S Convertible

Hi all,
I have been investigating the use of bike racks for my car with no real answers given to me by the manufacturers or the bike shop where I bought my bike.
Thule manufacturing states that I should not put any bike rack on my car at all! That they crash test all their products and the trunk of my G37 is not safe for that type of rack.
I have looked into a hitch type system too and not having any luck with that system as far as finding someone out there that actually makes one to fit without cutting something on the car to do so.
Help
Thanks,
Rick

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

TPLSFUN wrote:Hi all,
I have been investigating the use of bike racks for my car with no real answers given to me by the manufacturers or the bike shop where I bought my bike.
Thule manufacturing states that I should not put any bike rack on my car at all! That they crash test all their products and the trunk of my G37 is not safe for that type of rack.
I have looked into a hitch type system too and not having any luck with that system as far as finding someone out there that actually makes one to fit without cutting something on the car to do so.
Help
Thanks,
Rick
there's a hitch available for convertible:
http://www.amazon.com/CMFG-TRAILER-HITC ... B007VWRVC0
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/I ... 2010304260

TPLSFUN

Thanks CMESURF, I will check these out.

cmesurf

TPLSFUN wrote:Thanks CMESURF, I will check these out.
Did you ever got the Hitch and installed it?

TPLSFUN

Hi cmesurf,
Seems no one here in Madison,WI. wants to tackle it for me. Something about cutting the bumper in order to install or they say there is nothing available for my car. Thanks for checking back too....... I am going to continue the hunt though.

cmesurf

TPLSFUN wrote:Hi cmesurf,
Seems no one here in Madison,WI. wants to tackle it for me. Something about cutting the bumper in order to install or they say there is nothing available for my car. Thanks for checking back too....... I am going to continue the hunt though.
:confused: that's nuts, the hitch for 2010 convertible is lot simpler ... than 2009 (my convertible), practically plug and play.
The following parts fits your 2010 perfectly:
CURT Trailer Hitch #11068 (comes with good instructions)
wiring is plug and play: CURT T-Connector #56117 (comes with good instructions)-
The cut/trim of the bumper is behind the license plate about 6x1.5 inches, hides once the license plate is installed.
There should an authorized dealer for Curt Hitches in Madison, WI
FYI:
I found couple of Curt Hitch installers in Madison, WI:
Blain's Farm & Fleet - Madison
2202 S. Stoughton Rd.
Madison, WI 53716
Distance: 4.61 Miles

Pioneer Rim & Wheel
1206 Fermite Drive
Madison, WI 53716
Distance: 4.76 Miles

TPLSFUN

Hi CMESURF,
Wow you are truly good at what you do. Your research tells me that I was talking with the wrong folk’s that is for sure. I had just bought a new Trek and they are the folks that I was dealing with. They contacted every rack maker they do business with and told me what they did from that.
Is the cutting the bumper the only way to get the job done? What about having the bumper removed first, say at a body shop and then have the people install the hitch and replace the bumper?
Wonder if and when I would trade for another car (which I actually have been thinking about), what the effect of the cutting might have on the value of the car?
Right now I am hauling the bike around with the top down and a blanket covering it so I don’t ruin the interior............... Bummer if it rains though......................
Thanks,
TPLSFUN

cmesurf

TPLSFUN wrote:Hi CMESURF,
Wow you are truly good at what you do. Your research tells me that I was talking with the wrong folk’s that is for sure. I had just bought a new Trek and they are the folks that I was dealing with. They contacted every rack maker they do business with and told me what they did from that.
Is the cutting the bumper the only way to get the job done? What about having the bumper removed first, say at a body shop and then have the people install the hitch and replace the bumper?
Wonder if and when I would trade for another car (which I actually have been thinking about), what the effect of the cutting might have on the value of the car?
Right now I am hauling the bike around with the top down and a blanket covering it so I don’t ruin the interior............... Bummer if it rains though......................
Thanks,
TPLSFUN
You can install the hitch two ways, 1. Remove bumper or 2. cut a small pc of bumper behind the license plate.
Removing bumper is lot more time consuming. Needs couple of hours
Having the hitch should not any impact on trading the car or value, might even add value.
You can always remove the hitch before trading. Removing the hitch is easy, two bolts needs to unscrewed but leaving it won't & should have no impact on the trade.
Do what makes you comfortable. I would cut the bumper and save the cut piece and can re-paste/attache it if need but I don't see any good reasons to do so as the cut away pc is behind the license plate.
Good luck.

TPLSFUN

CMSURF,
Thanks again for the advise and the thoughts on the value of the car. I will look into the options and see what I end up feeling most comfortable with.
TPLSFN

cmesurf

FYI: I installed the hitch and plug in harness. It came out perfect. :dblthumb:

TPLSFUN

Hey cmesurf,
Wanted to get back to you about the bike rack. I did find a shop in Madison (Madison Spring), that did a wonderful job installing the hitch last week for me. I ended up with a Thule two bike rack and have enjoyed the freedom to go where ever and take the bikes with me. You were right about the install and the cutting of the bumber behind the plate and again with the "nothing to worry about" part of the install. Thanks for all your help with te info and the advice.....................TPLSFUN..............

cmesurf

Awesome, way to carry bikes and can still open roof.

tlb20ts
Car: Infinity G37S Convertible

I have a 2009 Infinity G37S Convertible that I need to get a bike rack installed for. I read the comments posted here about the 2010, but would it be different for the 2009? Any help would be SO appreciated!!

cmesurf

why not put a hitch and put bikes rack there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Curt-Trailer-Hi ... b2&vxp=mtr
I installed one on my and it's great

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”