bigger tires

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
slicdicinc
Car: Rogue

Hey everyone,I am interested in putting a new set of rims and tires on my Rogue. Unfortunately I don't know much about putting bigger tires on a vehicle and the effect. I read a site with conversion charts explaining how the indicated speed is different and the odometer will not be true. I'm not too worried about those things. What I need to know is will a set of 215/45R17 work on the Rogue?? If anyone can provide some advice that would be greatly appreciated. ThanxRick

philipa_240sx

Welcome to the forum. You can find answers to many questions in the Official Rogue FAQ.

Under the FAQ section, there is a Wheel and Tire Fitment Chart created by one of members, Eddnog regarding tire sizes.

Now, 215/45R17 is way too small in diameter. Besides the odometer/speedometer error, it also has a negative impact on the ABS and VDC (stability control) systems. The general rule of thumb is to stay within 3% of the stock wheel diameter to avoid problems. Please refer to the chart in Eddnog's post regarding recommended tire sizes.

RobbyUSMC01-06
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S Silver/Black Interior

slicdicinc wrote:Hey everyone,I am interested in putting a new set of rims and tires on my Rogue. Unfortunately I don't know much about putting bigger tires on a vehicle and the effect. I read a site with conversion charts explaining how the indicated speed is different and the odometer will not be true. I'm not too worried about those things. What I need to know is will a set of 215/45R17 work on the Rogue?? If anyone can provide some advice that would be greatly appreciated. ThanxRick
I just saw your post. I made this size chart when I was shopping for new rims and tires.

17" rim - 225/60r-1718" rim- 235/50r-1820" rim- 245/40r20 (this is what I eventually ended up using, the overall tire diameter is within 1/10 of an inch of stock)20"rim- 245/35r20(wouldn't recommend, it is almost an inch shorter in dia than stock, but it will work and it's a litter cheaper and easier to find)22"rim- 255/30 r22

hope this helps. I used http://www.wheelsnext.com to order my wheels. Their rim/tire combos are as high quality and affordable as anywhere and they mount, balance, and nitrogen fill them before shipping for a good price. Shipping is free and they threw in a free set of locks too.

philipa_240sx

Eddnog made a very comprehensive size chart listing most of the possible wheel/tire combinations. See my post above.

Wheel choices are almost unlimited. The Rogue has big wheel wells. A couple of notes however:

- Try to stay close to the stock offset of +40mm (1.57").- The Rogue has front wheel spindles that protrude very far out. You may not be able to install the hubcaps on some wheel designs. As always, trial fit before buying and make sure you can return it if there's an issue.

kcfm
Car: former rogue owner

philipa_240sx wrote:Eddnog made a very comprehensive size chart listing most of the possible wheel/tire combinations. See my post above.

Wheel choices are almost unlimited. The Rogue has big wheel wells. A couple of notes however:

- Try to stay close to the stock offset of +40mm (1.57")..
I have a question on this subject... I have put my new wheel purchase on a temporary hold pending the outcome of my transmission issue. But while I was shopping for new wheels a while back the offset came into question. The rims I was looking at were 18 x 8.5. Now if you're putting a wider rim on your car wouldn't that require you to change the offset as well? I would think you would need to go with a smaller offset, say 25 -30, to compensate for the wider rim because wouldn't it pull the rim in closer to the car otherwise with the added width? And for aesthetic reasons I wanted just the opposite. I wanted the wheel pushed out a bit so it was flush with the fenders.

...thoughts?

EddNog
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

the offset is measured from the center line of the rims, not the outer face. 1 inch wider rims of same offset are a half inch more out on the outer face and a half inch more in on the inside face.

-Ed

kcfm

EddNog wrote:the offset is measured from the center line of the rims, not the outer face. 1 inch wider rims of same offset are a half inch more out on the outer face and a half inch more in on the inside face.

-Ed
Well, like i said, with the goal of pushing the wheels out a bit to be more flush with the fenders....in order to do this, how much could I deviate from the stock offset of 40 without causing any harm?

EddNog

kcfm wrote: Well, like i said, with the goal of pushing the wheels out a bit to be more flush with the fenders....in order to do this, how much could I deviate from the stock offset of 40 without causing any harm?
Here's how I would go about achieving your goal...

Take a measurement now with your stock wheels; find out how far it is from the outside face of your factory wheels to the outside face of your fenders. Take this measurement for the front and for the rear. Now what you want to do is essential get the widest wheels you can for the diameter you are shopping in without going so wide that at stock offset you blow past the fender line (you don't want to drive a dune buggy, do you?). Assuming that even the widest wheels for the diameter don't bring the wheels flush to the fenders (easy calculation; for every half inch wider than stock the wheel is, at stock offset, the outside face is another quarter inch farther out), you can then look to compensate with some negative offset.

So, let's say, hypothetically, the stock wheels' outer faces sit 1.25" in from the fender face at the front and 1.75" in from the fender face at the rear. Why don't we set the goal for the wheels to be 1.25" farther out at the face? Okay, so let's say the stock wheels are 17.0x7.5; if we wanted to use stock offset wheels and get 1.25" farther out, we'd need....10" wide wheels. Okay, that's probably a bit on the overly wide side to find. I'm thinking some 20x8.5 wheels are pretty doable, though, or maybe even 21x9. So if we go for 9" wide rims, we'd need another half inch out; +30mm offset would get you flush at the front and 1/4" in at the rear. If you're doing 8.5" wide rims, you'd want maybe +25mm offset.

Be careful as certain offsets tend to be more popular than others. Common offsets you'll find are about +15mm for, "rear wheel drive wheels," and front or all wheel drive wheels tend more to be in the +30mm to +45mm range. Figures in the 20s are harder to find.

Going too low won't cause terrible amounts of harm, I don't suppose, but I've never gone so low that I've experienced premature wheel bearing wear. I just know that is said to be the primary stress- or reliability-related issue with excessively low offset compared to stock.

-Ed

philipa_240sx

Thanks Ed,

The wheel bearing wear issue is a good tip. Many forget the extra stress large wheels and tires can place on wheel bearings.

Wheel bearings are fortunately not too difficult to replace if they do wear out. The bearings are a cartridge type sealed unit and are sold as a complete assembly along with the wheel hub (the part with the lug nuts/bolts). Cost is about $130 ea + labor.

kcfm

anyone know the rim width on the 16 inch steelies on the S models? I'm assuming then the offset of 40mm is the same on the S and SL models?

Thanks.

EddNog

kcfm wrote:anyone know the rim width on the 16 inch steelies on the S models? I'm assuming then the offset of 40mm is the same on the S and SL models?

Thanks.
You know, to be honest, I could just take a measurement with my dad's Rogue, and then build a table of necessary wheel widths/offsets to achieve flush-to-fender fit.

I'll try to do that some time, maybe tomorrow, when his car is available to me. My car is not a good candidate for these measurements because my car sits on lowered suspension, and the rear wheels stick farther out as a result after re-alignment due to the geometry out back with camber calibration at this ride height.

-Ed

kcfm

EddNog wrote:
You know, to be honest, I could just take a measurement with my dad's Rogue, and then build a table of necessary wheel widths/offsets to achieve flush-to-fender fit.

I'll try to do that some time, maybe tomorrow, when his car is available to me. My car is not a good candidate for these measurements because my car sits on lowered suspension, and the rear wheels stick farther out as a result after re-alignment due to the geometry out back with camber calibration at this ride height.

-Ed
Hey thanks EddNog. I really appreciate that! Not knowing the rim width on my stock 16 inch rims I don't have a starting point to follow your directions.

I have posted a link below to the rims I would like to put on my Rogue. I was looking at the 18x8.5 in the hyperblack color. They have all available offsets posted.

http://www.avnmotorsports.com/...h.y=7

philipa_240sx

kcfm wrote:anyone know the rim width on the 16 inch steelies on the S models? I'm assuming then the offset of 40mm is the same on the S and SL models?

Thanks.
The wheel sizes and offsets are actually printed in your owners manual on page 9-7:

Steel Wheel - 16x6-1/2", +40mm offsetAluminum Wheel - 17x7", +40mm offset

Return to “Rogue Forum”