Big problems with my car

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Well, I took my car in for the regularly scheduled 30,000 mile maintenance and to have a rattle fixed. I get the car back yesterday about 3 o'clock and everything is great, until about 8:30 that night. My service engine soon light comes and then the idle and of the car seems to be running at higher RPM than normal. The shift from 2nd to 1st seems really rough and really late. Then my driver side window stops working. So, I pull into a parking lot and shut the car down play around with the window to try and get it to work, but no luck. I mess around with the car for about an hour and check out the hoses, belts, and whatever else I can get my hands in the engine bay, hoping that it is something easy simple, but I find nothing. I start home and the window starts working again, but the idle and shifting still is not running properly and the engine light is still on.

I take the car to the dealer first thing in the morning and let them know of all my problems. So, I get a call back about 10 minutes ago and they say that there is a problem with the ECM and that it needs to be replaced. They also discovered that there was a bad rear bearing and they will replace that as well. They will not be able to get the new ECM until about mid-week. Since they are going to have my car for a week, I decided to have them fix the grease streaks on the windows as well. And since they are going to have to take the door panels off to fix the grease streaks I ask if they will go ahead put some noise reducing foam in the door panels which the kindly tell me they will do.

I guess this is one way for me to reduce my mileage on the car, but not exactly the way I had anticipated to do it. But, I do get a 2004 FX35 to drive until my car is ready. And I must say, I love the FX. I just wish they would have given me the 45 instead of the 35.

Just thought I would share my experience here with you. And I highly recommend Dreyer & Reinbold of Greenwood for your work. My serive consultant, John Stephenson has been great to work with and has kept me up to date on everything they are doing, and really has tried to isolate my problems better than anyone else has ever done.

g35driver
Car: Power kite flying

We'll some times a perfect car doesn't stay perfect. That’s what warranties are for. Not a bad loaner something a little different for a while. In many ways your car should seem better when you get it back. I really need some of that foam on my doors especially around the speaker area. Let us know the outcome and give us your impression of the FX35.Kev...

rydwhite

Yeah, that's the hope that the car will run better and be a little quieter in the process. And the FX is really nice. I may put it to use while I have it and do some stuff that the G won't let me do.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Sorry to hear the baby has trouble, hope they do well for you.

Fred..:)

PGrated

Just a curious question. In a different thread, you were showing that you were getting some unusual rear tire wear. Could that be related to the bad rear bearing that they need to replace???? My guess is that it may not be since you were getting the same tire wear pattern on both left and right rear tires. Unless, both bearings need replacement?? I'm not sure, just thought I'd bring it up as a possibility.

Paul

rydwhite

The problem with the tire wear was an issue of toe in. I believe there was 12 degrees of toe in on the rear tires, I'll have to double check the printed specs on that though. I had an alignment and all was fixed. The rear bearing in question was just the rear driver side and I don't think it had anything to do with the wear pattern.

PGrated

I figured as much. Good luck with the repairs.

Paul

rydwhite

Ok, here's the skinny. I got the car back a little while ago. Woo Hoo it runs great. When I picked the car up the driver window was working fine, I looked at it with the service tech and the service rep and we played with it about 5 minutes and it worked fine. They could never repeat what problem I had with it. I start down the road and get a couple miles away and it sounds like my window is cracked. I look at it and it looks fine, but I try the roll it down and it won't work. Damn, I call the service rep back up and tell him I'm on my way back in and the window isn't working. I pull into the parking lot and the tech and rep are waiting for me. The try it and it still won't work. The tech taps the door panel and all of a sudden it works again. They decided to order a new window motor and switch. So know I am getting new window components as well. Should be in tomorrow.

The service told me that the problem with the ECU was "Found stored fault present for P0507 - Idle Air would not reset." I don't know what the heck that means, but if someone here knows, I wouldn't mind being enlightened.

They replaced both rear wheel bearings. They foamed the inside of the door panels, and replaced the window stops to eliminate the grease streaks as well.

All-in-all the car runs great, sounds great and has no rattles now. Downside, my window needs fixed. But that is being taken care of.

Seems kind of strange to me that the window problem and the ECU problem all happened right after my 30,000 mile maintenance. Probably just coincedence, but strange none-the-less.

Oh and they never mentioned anything about the popcharger/z-tube and grounding kit on the car affecting the warranty, so that's good.

I'll let you all know once I get the new window motor and switch installed. Hopefully that is all that will need to be done to my baby for awhile.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

rydwhite wrote:The problem with the tire wear was an issue of toe in. I believe there was 12 degrees of toe in on the rear tires, I'll have to double check the printed specs on that though. I had an alignment and all was fixed. The rear bearing in question was just the rear driver side and I don't think it had anything to do with the wear pattern.

That's a LOT of Toe-in.

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

he probably meant 12 mm, not degrees, and 11 mm is the max allowable toe in, so it wasn't that bad. me personally i would prefer 1-5 mm, but as long as it is close to spec it is not that bad

rydwhite

That's what it was VQ. Sorry about the confusion. They adjusted it to 7mm.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”