Big Oil Leak

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
efroubi
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30t

Hello All,

I have a massive oil leak.. oil everywhere. Mostly on the front of the engine and more on the passenger side. Oil is being flung everywhere.

The big pulley directly below the fan appears to be the culprit. That area is just caked in oil. What do I ask for? Front main seal?

Changing out the oil sensor while I'm under there.. It was leaking slightly too.

Thanks

efroubi

Got it. Just asked for a front main pulley seal.

National Oil Seals Part #223340

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

why dont you do a write up on it? with pics?
share with the rest of us.....

efroubi

Ahh! What a nightmare.. The whole timing belt cover has to come off to get to it. Can anyone confirm this? If so, I minus well change my timing belt, water pump, thermostat, idler pulleys and auto tensioner since the whole front has to come off. Minus well add cam seals too. Uh.. I'm no mechanic but I'm good with my hands and I'm not paying a shop to do work that costs more than the car.

Cars got 170k miles and I doubt ever had its belt changed.

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

yes, that's what I thought....yes, you're on borrowed time, friend..get that timing belt done and all that goes with it...I would recommend dealer parts, such as the whole timing belt kit, which should have all the parts you need....plus I think some other seals are leaking when you get everything out in the open....

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”