big oil filter for MR18DE '11 Versa

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

I have wondered about the puny oil filters Nissan uses on its' cars and not a big fan. I researched bigger ones and found one that is like 3X as big and seems to fit perfect and works fine but one needs to pay attention to do it. Now using a 21626 Napa, 51626 in other brands will fit and a filter used on around '90 model Mopars and Jeeps and expiring pre-AMC cars that Chrysler continued to put out for a while. Done on a '11 Versa.

The filter is same thread and OD on the mounting stub but the o-ring is about 1/8" bigger in OD, meaning the mounting flat MUST be cleaned in its' entirety as the new ring will contact further out where dirt and trash have built up outboard of the old sealing location. I used a razor blade leaned sideways to carefully scrape the flat circle dead clean and then the filter goes right on although things are kind of tight around it. Nothing touches though.

The new filter has a slightly lower bypass blowoff but the much bigger increase in media size should offset that. It DOES have the anti-drainback valve in it. You can get them cheaper than the Nissan type too, I have no idea why the smaller a filter gets they think they have to charge more for it.

Working now for a month and zero leaks, even with how close the ring runs to the edge of the flat there.

The same Nissan filter is used on other cars and the mod may work on them as well, one would have to check. For instance, on my '17 Altima there appears to be a safeguarding curved raised barrier (QR25 engine) that looks like will stop me from using it on that one unless the barrier is cut down. Haven't gotten far enough to check the size of the mounting flat yet.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

A change of from 17 inches of internal area to 40 and it makes the pan now need the full 5 quarts of oil too.

xt477
Car: 2013 versa

looks like Fram / STP 3985 would work as well.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

I know there are a couple of choices that instead of using the 20-1.5 metric thread use 3/4-16 instead and very close but NOT the same thread. Fram has chosen to drop some filters that use the metric and you use ones with the SAE measurements. I prefer the more accurate metric part for a Japanese car.

I'm not big on Fram due to their use of cardboard end plates instead of light steel ones.

You need to make sure the filter stays close to dead flat in the plane across the flat as you look across the end of filter. Some have a somewhat recessed center, there is a drop in the middle.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”