Big Big OIL Leak!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
John16
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX hatchback

WAO! Check this out, i had my KA24DE engine rebuilt. It came out beautiful but when i got o work and got off the car i see this trace of oil on the road. I moved my car to another parking space and it matched that it was coming from my car. So i looked underneath and I couldn't pinpoint from where it was coming. There 's the oil pan screw and that's not the issue. The oil pan gasket (I don't think it is the gasket since it was pouring way too much oil) I think is the rear shaft seal but then again that as part of the rebuilt so how is that that seal failed? I have 6 months warranty. How is it possible? I mean it drained all the motor oil from the pan. any ideas?

:gotme :gotme :gotme :gotme

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

From the information you provided we aren't going to be able to pinpoint where the oil is coming from either.

You're going to have to add some oil and get under there and see if it's draining out just sitting there. if the oil pan holds the oil and it's not leaking out with the engine shut-off chances are it isn't the oil pan.

Before you start it, I'd remove the oil filter and make sure it's the correct oil filter for the engine and is installed correctly. I'd also look around there, it's possible you have a leak coming from where the oil filter is installed, as well as the switch for the dummy light that turns your oil pressure light on...

Speaking of which, did your oil light ever come on during this time?

That's what it looks like down there. There is a gasket between that piece and the engine, if that gasket is missing, it could be leaking from there. I've got an adapter threaded on where the oil filter goes but you get the idea.

How do you know all of the oil is drained from the oil pan?

John16

I took it to the shop today. They will fix it since i'm under the warranty. even when the car was parked it was still leaking. I notice it was empty or drained completely of motor oil since i checked the oil level and the dipstick was dry dry! I hope is that gasket that you mention in between that piece and the engine instead of the rear seal shaft. also the filter it could be also as well since they put a bigger oil filter I have never seen before usually mines where a lot smaller. So yeah I will go to the shop tomorrow and check. Ill make updates on this.

John16

Ok so the leak was coming from the pressure oil switch. Oil coming thru that waooo who would have thought….

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Pretty common, actually. There's an electrical diaphragm crimped in there with (usually) a silicone rubber perimeter seal. That can deteriorate and leak like any other rubber seal. Glad you got it straightened away!

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”