Bi-Xenons - anyone NOT liking them?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Georgie
Car: EX35 Black w/Stone & Wood, Prem, Lux Style, Nav

I recently purchased an EX, black w/stone & wood, prem, lux style, nav. Thanks to all of you here for helping me make an informed decision.

For the most part I'm loving the vehicle but I'm not sold on the xenons yet. I don't see well at night so I thought they would help, because most people say they are great, although the sales mgr at my dealer in Greenwich CT did say the "demarcation line" between light and dark is rather severe.

Well, last night driving home on the Merritt Pkwy - a beautiful road that is, however, VERY dark at night - I felt really uncomfortable without the highbeams on (which of course I dimmed for oncoming traffic). Yes, the immediate foreground is very bright, but beyond that I couldn't see a dang thing. It was scary, especially since there are lots of deer on the Merritt (a friend recently totaled his car).

When following another car, or on roads where there is light, they're fine. Very good, actually. Maybe I'll get used to them or maybe I'll have to stay on roads like I-95 (although I love the Merritt). That seems to be the only answer, along with reducing speed and using the brights as much as possible without blinding others.

The only other small criticisms are the right side blind spot (if you're not used to using the right-side mirror, like me, you'd better start!) and there is no lighter. I'm not a huge smoker, but, my gosh, there's already one phone charging outlet in the storage compartment...Cool out with the cell phones, folks, and relax for a minute.

Here's a (rather technical) link that gets at what I'm trying to describe about the lights.

http://www.danielsternlighting....html

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

My first Audi did not have xenons but my second did and it took a little while to get used to the difference but now I won't get a car without the xenons. My wife's VW Passat does not have xenons but has the VW super bright Halogens lamps and even those don't compare to the brightness of the xenons. The EX is much higher off the ground then my Audi TT the EX shines a longer and wider path of light. The one negative thing is that the xenons are a more pin pointed light so it seems like the cutoff from light to dark is much more dramatic. Another negative is some older highway signs use a different type of reflective paint and stickers and the light from the xenons can sometimes produce a glare at some angles. If you feel the headlights are out of range then check with your dealer. i believe the headlights are self leveling but there may be a some adjustments a tech can make.

bucca1

Hi Georgie,First off, I bought the exact same EX you did! I also have night vision issues and do not like how the Xenon's are on my car. I find it very hard to assess whats up ahead on very dark roads. It looks like a dark tint was applied on the top half of my windshield when I drive at night. Twisty turny roads... I use my high beams & drive pretty slow because I am apprehensive. In Florida we have stretches of highway that are not well lit at all & it's downright scary to drive them in this car. Now my husband loves the Xenons and swore that I will get use to them very soon but maybe my vision problem at night is a big factor in this for me. I will be checking at my next oil change to see if they can be adjusted by a tech at Infiniti. Maybe that will help, if not, my husband will drive it at night which he won't mind cause he loves my car!!As far as the right side mirrors I use mine all the time & I don't feel I have any blind spots. These mirrors are huge and I have no trouble changing lanes at all. I think they really make up for the poor visibility out the rear window.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Welcome to our forum, Georgie! I'm glad to hear that you were able to make prior use of the posts and discussions here to arrive at an informed decision.

I also have poor night vision due in part to laser eye surgery, but must say, I'm very happy with the Xenon headlights. It did take a month or so to get used to the light colour and pattern. Hopefully, you'll be comfortable with it before long.

As for the right-side mirror, one "trick" is to set both outside mirrors so that you don't see the side of your car, but rather, the view on the outer edges of your internal rearview mirror, overlaps slightly with the view on the inside edge of your external mirrors. This dramatically minimizes any blind spots.

I've done this for 3 decades just because it made sense to me, but then several years ago, I was at a full-day BMW driver training course and the instructor said the same thing! (Of course, this made my wife shake her head as she looked at me wryly, silently saying "Doesn't he know how dangerous it is to encourage you?!?")

Cheers,David

P.S. If you haven't already, you might also get a couple of bumper-mounted deer whistles. My parents live out in the country and 20 odd years ago they totaled their Ford Bronco II when a deer jumped out at them. Since then they've installed deer whistles on all their cars and have never had a problem.

GoVols
Car: EX 35 Journey

I agree with you Georgie. I've had the car a few months and have not adjusted yet to the lights. The demarkation line bounces up and down and limits the distance I can see. I may have to disable the self leveling system and try that.

nghivdo
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey, Premium, Luxe Style, NAV, Black Obsidian, Graphite Leather

I wonder... does anyone know if the stock Xenons can be replaced with BRIGHTER bulbs? I, too, wish they reached further/brighter ahead. I wonder how the EX's Xenons compare to other Infiniti's...
Modified by nghivdo at 1:00 AM 8/4/2008

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

I have bi-xenon in my G and I've never noticed the problem you speak of. That may be because I always have the driving lights on at the same time?

I've seen comments about different temperature lights being added to the Gs in the G forum, but I don't know if that makes them any brighter or not.Since David is on a short vacation, I'll see if can find an answer for you.

Riker2k
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Thought I'd chime in here too. I find the bi-xenon lights hard to get used to as well.

I agree with GoVols all the way. The demarcation line is really pronounced and very distracting when driving. The worst part is that it's the most pronounced, IMO, when you are driving in very dark conditions which is where it's needed the most. On roads with lighting it's not as noticeable but on a country road... wow.

Anyhow, hoping I'll adjust but it was one of the first comments I had about the car after I picked it up.

Georgie
Car: EX35 Black w/Stone & Wood, Prem, Lux Style, Nav

Thanks for chiming in everybody.

I'll check next service about an adjustment but neither the dealer nor I want to raise them to the point they might be blinding, or illegal.

The moderator above mentioned driving lights (?) The EX has fogs, which helps the foreground, not distance.

And regarding the actual brightness of the bulbs, I've been hearing they have to be kept clean, one reason why a lot of cars have the little wipers. But, really, the issue is distance, especially when you're going fast on an unlit highway. I haven't been in the same situation since - been taking I-95.

Perhaps it's something we'll have to get use to. It's like the steering wheel: I'm not used to it being square on the sides with fat bumps in seemingly the wrong spots but I know I'll like it eventually. Hopefully the same with the bulbs. Meanwhile, I'll be keeping the brights on until someone comes, and go get an eye exam (first in years).

Here's the proper link to that detailed lighting article if any are interested.

P.S. Engine still only 300 mi and still learning everything, but I'm liking it, my first Infiniti. People think it looks hot.

bttek

Georgie wrote:I recently purchased an EX, black w/stone & wood, prem, lux style, nav. Thanks to all of you here for helping me make an informed decision.

For the most part I'm loving the vehicle but I'm not sold on the xenons yet. I don't see well at night so I thought they would help, because most people say they are great, although the sales mgr at my dealer in Greenwich CT did say the "demarcation line" between light and dark is rather severe.

Well, last night driving home on the Merritt Pkwy - a beautiful road that is, however, VERY dark at night - I felt really uncomfortable without the highbeams on (which of course I dimmed for oncoming traffic). Yes, the immediate foreground is very bright, but beyond that I couldn't see a dang thing. It was scary, especially since there are lots of deer on the Merritt (a friend recently totaled his car).

When following another car, or on roads where there is light, they're fine. Very good, actually. Maybe I'll get used to them or maybe I'll have to stay on roads like I-95 (although I love the Merritt). That seems to be the only answer, along with reducing speed and using the brights as much as possible without blinding others. Hello everyone,

The EX-35 does not have Bi-Xenons as this would mean that both (bi) the low AND high beams would be Xenon. The EX with the premium package has Xenon LOW beams but standard halogen highs.

I am sure for next year Infiniti will offer the EX with Bi's but for now only the low beams get them.....

The only other small criticisms are the right side blind spot (if you're not used to using the right-side mirror, like me, you'd better start!) and there is no lighter. I'm not a huge smoker, but, my gosh, there's already one phone charging outlet in the storage compartment...Cool out with the cell phones, folks, and relax for a minute.

Here's a (rather technical) link that gets at what I'm trying to describe about the lights.

bttek

Hello everyone,

The EX-35 does not have Bi-Xenons as this would mean that both (bi) the low AND high beams would be Xenon. The EX with the premium package has Xenon LOW beams but standard halogen highs.

I am sure for next year Infiniti will offer the EX with Bi's but for now only the low beams get them.....

heliochrome85
Car: 2006 G35 Sport Coupe Athens Blue/Slate with Sport and Premium Packages--SOLD

its a fun little car. i get them as loaners from my dealer. i love my lights. i dont remember having the problem you have. id take it to the dealer. GL

rontek
Car: Had -2008 Infiniti EX35 Now - 2009 Infiniti FX50S

Another note on the Halogen High Beams on the EX. The High Beam halogen bulb is not a standard bulb you can go pick up off the shelf at most auto parts stores. It is a H9, which is something I have only been able to find on line, or special order. The Fog light bulbs are also a special order item . They are H8 Halogens. It would have been nice if Infiniti had used something a little more common.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Good choice with the EX. Infiniti was cited recently for having headlights were the beam was far too wide, this caused Infiniti to issue a recall on the FX. Since the Feds have changed the laws limiting new car Xenon bulb range since the European companies wanted to take it too far, there is not much to be done by the dealer(I am not sure if they can be adjusted, ill look tomorrow). You may find products online, but there are a few things to remember before servicing the system. It is not a conventional headlight circuit, there is a ballast connected to each headlight that provides very high voltage to the bulb so a simple swap will not work. They did add AFS to try and resolve the issue of a wide path and it works well while turning, but the deer whistles may be a good thing to think about.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Here's an interesting read I found about HID lights.

Cheers,David

Kenike
Car: EX AWD

My Maxima that I just got out of after 5 years had Xenons and I loved them.I could see great.

I am weirded out by the ones on the EX. The Maxima's did not have a demarcation line and these have a really pronounced one.

I feel that anything below eye level is really bright and well illuminated and most objects above the car is dark.

Do my lights need to be adjusted. I feel like I can only see 50% of what is up ahead. I really insisted on getting these lights and sacrificed the tech package for them, now I am a little upset that I did.

Do I need to bring it in to be looked at or are all of your like this too?

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”