Beware your Versa! (Accident!!!)

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

I've noticed accidents on car forums always occur in groups of 3 or 4.

I'm #2 on the victim list... so beware, someone else is going to get smacked soon!

I was on my lunch break driving to go pick up my wife for lunch... 3 cars ahead of me, the driver wanted to turn left and suddenly realized they didn't have enough room to turn left without getting hit by oncoming traffic. They stopped short, the car behind them stopped short, the Suburban behind me stopped short, and I managed to stop short of the Suburban.

Unfortunately, the Ford F150 that was following me slammed in to me at probably a good 20-25 mph.

The back end of my Versa is toast. Tailgate, bumper, right lense, they're all shot. Bumper struts, bumper filler, maybe some frame damage.

I ended up getting shoved into the back of the Suburban, so my front bumper is also shot... slightly pushed in and with a nice square hitch-shaped hole in it.

I'm going to go cry now... poor Vince... he didn't deserve that!

I asked the body shop to send me the digital photos they took, so that I can post and show you guys the damage.

Oh, and I will be going to the Dr's. tomorrow. While the car did its job and all of the safety features worked exactly as designed, it was still a violent collision and my head hit the restraint HARD.

Cowboys Fan 87

Great.....now we're all cursed!

LOL

Do what the doctor tells ya....I had whiplash hit me a full year after an accident one time....looked like a freakin robot from a 50's film because I couldn't move my head at all....

Anywho...get to felling better....

ilusha55

25 mph is 40 kmh!!that must be one violent shock and adding the extra weight of f150...

OKVersa
Car: Nissan Versa

Hubby wants to know if the airbags deployed? And please take care!

Ever Victorious

Oh yeah, it was nice and violent. Threw the Versa a good 10 feet into the back of the Suburban with enough force for the front bumper to be both pushed in and pierced.

None of the airbags deployed... didn't hit the Suburban QUITE hard enough to trigger them (and they don't trigger from rear impacts, obviously)

proxim2020

We should have a Sticky topic in honor of those and their Versa's that have been in accidents.

proxim2020

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully all goes well with you and you V

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Cowboys Fan 87 wrote: Great.....now we're all cursed!
Glad your ok. Make sure to listen to the doc. Your seatbelt bruise will start to hurt ~ 1 day later if it doesn't already. Is your Versa being repaired or totalled?

I hope I broke the curse. A E-350 van power merged 3 lanes to get in front of me. I slammed on the brakes to avoid being hit. there was some nice tire smoke behind me. With the brakes locked the Versa slide straight. The only damage is that the TPMS light went through the malfunction sequence & stayed on.

Ever Victorious

We don't know (repair vs. totalled) yet. However, with the passenger compartment still intact and no airbags popped, I'm guessing that Vince will be repaired.

proxim2020

XterraVersa wrote: The only damage is that the TPMS light went through the malfunction sequence & stayed on.

You may have broke the accident curse, but hopefully you didn't gain another one. The curse of the TPMS Light.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Damn, sorry for You, and Vince. Wish you could have made it on the 7th. I guess I'll have to drink the tange-Snapple tea. Hope everything goes well at the doctors. If you're still up for it, come down in whatever car you want. You were the first "yes" on my list, so even if you come in a Honda, I'd be honored to have you there. Take care Geoff!

Ever Victorious

beancooker wrote:Damn, sorry for You, and Vince. Wish you could have made it on the 7th. I guess I'll have to drink the tange-Snapple tea. Hope everything goes well at the doctors. If you're still up for it, come down in whatever car you want. You were the first "yes" on my list, so even if you come in a Honda, I'd be honored to have you there. Take care Geoff!
My wife will be busy that day with the truck, and the Mazda leaks fuel (potentially onto the exhaust manifold!) so I can't drive it till that's fixed. I'm probably taking it in to be fixed tomorrow, but it won't be ready until next week sometime...

I WILL make the next meet (after Vince is back from the body shop)

And I suggest that snapple tea. It's tasty.

Edit: My wife bought me a steak dinner at the Outback tonight, and when the staff heard about what happened, they gave me a free dessert. I'm feeling a little better... still bummed though.

philmcneal
Car: Civic Coupe Se 04

just curious, how many car lengths did you keep when trailing the surburban? Good to hear your okay! Good thing the Versa can protect you from a rear end of a truck!

Ever Victorious

philmcneal wrote:just curious, how many car lengths did you keep when trailing the surburban? Good to hear your okay! Good thing the Versa can protect you from a rear end of a truck!
Using "car lengths" doesn't account for speed, so I usually give following distance to other cars in seconds (watch them pass a marker or line, then count seconds till I pass it).

I usually give drivers 3.5 to 4 seconds. I didn't time the Suburban specifically, but I was able to stop pretty easily behind it... had some room between it and I and I wasn't doing a true panic stop.

Edit: This morning, I'm a little sore, but not nearly as sore as I thought I would be. The worst of it is my shifting arm... it feels a bit beat up, and I'm positive I hit it on the armrest and bruised something at the very least.

BenDupre
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/CVT, 2006 Quest 3.5

How did the active head restraint work?

I've been wondering how those things are supposed to move when you get rearended. It's a passive (not mechanically powered by anything but the collision forces) system isn't it?

Whiplash can take time to show up. Make sure you don't get hasty accepting money or signing wavers from the idiot's insurance company.

Glad you're okay!

Ben

SVersaS
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8S

Glad to hear that ur doing ok, i hope everything goes over well with vince.

Ever Victorious

Uhm, I hit my head pretty hard on the restraint. I'm sore today, it's progressed to my back, shoulders, neck, and right arm, but no further.

I have no idea how the active restraint looks/works. Personally, I don't intend to get into another rear-end accident just so I can watch it. One was more than enough "fun" for my enjoyment.

Just got back from the doctor. She's giving me an anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant (because I said no to narcotics), and says that so far it looks like it may be muscular, but she wants to have a follow-up visit in 2 weeks to make sure everything is going OK and that things haven't gotten worse.

And next week I will try to remember to take my own digicam out to the body shop to take pictures... so far the body shop has not responded to my requests for them and rather than hound the poor guys (because they really DO do good work) I'll just do the legwork myself.

I also have consulted an attorney regarding diminished-value, and because the car is so new, it's almost a slam-dunk. I have to wait until the car is actually repaired to file that part of the claim, but I'll let you guys know how it goes and if it goes positively, I'll give you guys the attorney's info (they have associates in all 50 states).

It's nap time now.

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

Well don't that just suck out loud!!! I sure didn't want to be the one to start this trend!! My damage is minor compared to yours!! I would be interested in the diminished value thing too. I hope the streak stops with you!! Hope you get to feeling better. On the anti inflammatory meds, if they give you Celebrex, it will take several days of using it to make any difference. Hope everything works out.

BenzTech Gone Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8SL

Sorry to hear that...sux.I Got My Versa Sept.11 and the very next day in the citibank parking lot got hit.some person in a red car backed up into my left front bumper and pushed in my head light,scraped the headlamp badly/bumperalso poped out the bumper and grill. The person just drove away!No one saw this happen and the citibank manager was no help told me i had to get a police report then have my insurance come in and do an investigation to get a subpoena from court to get the video from citibank. in nyc when you file a accedent report it automatically goes thru insurance and i have a $1,000 deductable so it made no sense to go thru insurance(specially the second day i have the policy).i stood at the parking lot for 4 hours looking at the damage and pacing back and forth.anyways i got home and pulled the bumper halfway off and realigned the light and grill,buffed out the bumper and headlight lense.ordered some touch up paint and a bra.looks great now.

Ever Victorious

BenzTech Gone Versa wrote:Sorry to hear that...sux.I Got My Versa Sept.11 and the very next day in the citibank parking lot got hit.some person in a red car backed up into my left front bumper and pushed in my head light,scraped the headlamp badly/bumperalso poped out the bumper and grill. The person just drove away!No one saw this happen and the citibank manager was no help told me i had to get a police report then have my insurance come in and do an investigation to get a subpoena from court to get the video from citibank. in nyc when you file a accedent report it automatically goes thru insurance and i have a $1,000 deductable so it made no sense to go thru insurance(specially the second day i have the policy).i stood at the parking lot for 4 hours looking at the damage and pacing back and forth.anyways i got home and pulled the bumper halfway off and realigned the light and grill,buffed out the bumper and headlight lense.ordered some touch up paint and a bra.looks great now.
Ah, but if you CATCH the person who did it, you get to use THEIR insurance with NO deductible.

Plus, in this state, the police would go after the bastard that did it (I HATE people that don't leave notes... it's happend to THREE of my cars)... and in WA, hit and run of an unattended vehicle is a FELONY. (Yeah, think of THAT if you ever bump someone in the parking lot and think of running...)

Edit: Update on my condition: I'm much less sore this morning. Hopefully I'm over the worst of it. Before I left the Dr's yesterday, I made a follow-up appointment for the 20th, just to be sure.

DocPlez
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL, White 6 spd w/ conv package, 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe, 2004 Superformance "Shel

Sorry to hear about the accident EV .... think I'll keep a plank of wood in teh car so I have something to knock until until our next unlucky candidtae takes care of teh "everything happens in threes" myth.

On the other hand it could have been a lot worse. I had a little subaru when I was 18 and pulled out in front if a 1969 Chevy Implala. The Impala had a scratch in the paint behind the running on the front right fender. The engine and transaxle of the subaru was pretty much sitting where the passanger seat was supposed to be. Luckily no one was in that seat when it happened.

Bottom line you lived to tell us about it

Return to “Versa General Chat”