Beware - RockAuto sent me a fake KYB shock - 343379

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
AlanAZ
Car: 2003 QX4 rwd

I' redoing the suspension on a 2003 QX4, and ordered KYB Excell-G struts, and a single KYB shock from RockAuto. A single as that was all they had in stock marked "Wholesaler closeout - private label pkg. - 30 day warranty", and bought a single from else. When I opened them up, I saw that the one from RockAuto was leaking oil, and began photographing it to document it for the return. That's when I saw all the differences to the other, genuine, shock. The RockAuto shock had a different part number stamped into the tube, along with "Made in China" and no "KYB", and no red KYB sticker. The label on the box says "Replaces KYB 343379:P" The genuine shock had the correct part number, "KYB" and "Made in Japan" stamped into it's tube, and the red sticker. The molding of the bushings was notably different. These private label shocks are back in stock at RockAuto, at a $8 discount over the regular product, and still up after processing my leaking, fake stock defective parts return.

Had I been able to buy 2 of them, and had no leaks, I would have put them on, as I trusted RockAuto. I have bought Wholesaler closeouts from them before, and had gotten genuine parts. I doubt that these would have lasted long, but probably longer than the 30 day warranty. Rockauto refunded the full cost of this shock, incl. shipping and tax, within hours of filling my return.

JayArras
Car: 2013 Pathfinder SL Premium

I'm sure Rock Auto will do well by you if you bring the problem to their attention. With this pandemic, supply chains for lots of companies have been messed up. They probably received a return of a defective part and mistakenly resent it out to you as a good part.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

Rockauto sold it and has to take responsibility for it, but it's entirely possible if not probable it didn't actually come from them. They ship from multiple locations, at least some of which if not most or all are not actually their facility. Something you have to be careful about when looking at freight cost in an order and falsely assuming it would be one freight bill or adding something light wouldn't make any difference.

I was poised to order some shocks for a BMW a few years back, good price and all. Got to checkout and shipping was out of sight, they were coming from England!

The complications of shopping and doing business in the 21 century.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”