Better gas mileage, losing power?

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
shwoogy21
Car: 350z roadster 2005

so basically, i started accelerating and heard a loud exhaust tone which is weird because mine is stock. I noticed the the pipe basically broke where it connects to the rear muffler. While this has increased my gas mileage pretty significantly, i think im losing power. I tried to peel out by punching it and can not. I also recently got new tires. But even with new tires i should be able to spin the wheels shouldn't i? So I guess i am losing power? :(

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

How bad is the pipe/muffler separated, this is probably what caused you to lose some torque

I dunno about the mpg thing though, your gauge could be fooling you and have some link to the problem you have in the exhaust

NissanFairladyZ32
Car: 91, Twin Turbo, 99 Miata 1.8L

is urs auto or 6speed ?

i think the new tires is why you cant spin the wheels any more :rotfl

shwoogy21
Car: 350z roadster 2005

yes it's auto, i thought it was easy to spin the tires on these cars grrr lol but atleast i'm getting better traction. Well its seoerated enough where the muffler is no longer being used. I was also thinking that might throw off the mpg electronic gauge but i'm not sure :(. I'm sure i'm losing low wend torgue but if the gas mileage is true i'll take that trade off! Plus the exhaust tone is sweet:)

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”