Best Tire Brand

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
DurableOilAMSOIL

Which tire manufacturer makes the best all season tires with the longest rated treadwear warranty? Please share your personal experience, stories, and knowledge about tires.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I think the problem with anecdotal stories is that they are not necessarily going to accurately reflect the same experience you'll have as there are too many factors that impact tire longevity. For example, I had a long highway commute in my SUV mostly on cruise control, with few turns and very few brake applications. with proper maintenance, including rotation, frequent pressure checks, and regular wear inspections, I easily got 100K miles out of a set of Goodyear all-seasons, an average tire at best. It seems highly unlikely you'd get similar mileage unless your situation was as tire friendly. Likewise my sports car had all season Bridgestones from the factory, that I took regularly to the track to toss around hard. That first set lasted less than 2000 miles. (obviously I went in a different direction for subsequent tires) But It seems likely you'd fare much better.

That said, if you're looking solely at longest tread life in an all-season car tire, and ignoring other important criteria like price, or grip, or noise, there are some all season tires that appear to do last "on average" than others. The Pirelli P4 All-season has been around a few years and very long expected life/warranty. It's probably not the cheapest. Good luck with your hunt.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:29 am
Which tire manufacturer makes the best all season tires with the longest rated treadwear warranty?
This is a triple-negative.

All-seasons suck at all seasons.
Long treadwear means awful performance.
Best tire means not all season and not long treadwear.

There's a new crop of tires calling themselves "ultra-high-performance all-seasons" but I haven't driven on them since I run alternating sets of dedicated winter and summer tires. The reality is, if you have mixed-weather driving conditions and cold winters (even without snow), winter tires will be vastly superior to even the best all-season tire. Meanwhile, in summer weather, all-seasons will not perform anywhere near as well as even a cheap summer tire.

So:

The answer to your question is:
Go to the junkyard, find a set of OE wheels for your car for around $100, then buy a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires. Between both sets, you'll get a lot of mileage and the best possible performance in all seasons, from your tires. Without having to settle for all season tires.
In addition, you won't have to wait for the mad scramble at the tire shop each fall and spring, and you can read the weather and switch when it makes sense. It takes, what, 15 minutes to change all four tires on your own with a floor jack and star wrench? You can even wait until it snows one morning, swap 'em out, and head off to work.

macgiver

mac, the Minister put well I think - how many people don't realize . I joke- " The WORST Summer tire is BETTER than the BEST All Season tire " :rotflmao Tip : the most prevalent place on the entire 'Net' where C00per tire is found maybe NHTSA recalls :lolling: And the OP's question ASSU-ME s that 'anybody' would want the WORST of both worlds ,ie. All Season (crap) AND Long Lasting (hard & dangerous) ??? :tisk:

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

For the limited freeway miles I drive I choose the aftermarket "Remington" brand. Why ? Because they have a 40,000 mile guarantee [which I never come close to hitting] and my local dealer has them in stock or has them the next day. Advisory, "Remington" is a "House" brand, and is usually a UNIROYAL [although there have been other suppliers over the years] product. Check the manufacturer's numeric code on the side wall if that scares you! The only "problem" that I have noticed is that they do not stock our original type wide white wall tires, [but their narrow white walls are superb]. See my 4 wheel narrow white wall tire set [and original RL411 wheel covers ] at the Long Beach JCCS this 2018 September .

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Luckily, in AL, I can get away with running summer tires year round with a couple dicey days of cold weather here and there.

I have driven my Z in the snow while riding on Potenza RE050. Yeah, they were initially like hockey pucks, but it was a short trip and low drama.

Return to “General Chat”