Best Standalone ECU for Sr?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Tr0uble
Car: S13.5sx

Please don't say AEM EMS....Not compatible with Nissans, AEM techs don't want to offer firmware upgrade to fix the problems nor do they want to offer info to fix the problems via the programming side of the software.

I'm looking to get my S15 SR20det into the 370-400hp range safely.Currently in the middle of deciding how I want to go about converting it from MAF to MAP which is going to require a standalone since I don't want to piggyback the MAFT Pro unit.

Anyone have experience with the Apexi Standalone?

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

such a vague question. The Apex is not really a true standalone. I suggest you look at the following systems and decide what is best for you.HaltechSDSElectromotiveMicrotechAutronicMegasquirt

Broadfield
Car: 1992 240sx

themadscientist wrote:The Apex is not really a true standalone
The Power FC is a standalone in the fact that you do not retain the factory ECU. Sure, it doesn't support the control of different coil setups and whatnot like Motec, Haltec etc........ but who cares! The Apexi Power FC is a full plug and play ECU. It is too easy and a perfect ECU for your setup. The others would be a wiring and setup nightmare. I have the same motor(S15) with the Power FC and love it. I am using 850cc injectors and putting down 400whp on 93 octane. I drive it every day in temperatures ranging from -5 degrees up to 105 degrees with no problems at all. You need to get the D-Jetro Power FC. You will also need to buy the IAT sensor and MAP sensor along with the harnesses. This will allow you to ditch your crappy MAF.

DriftReadyS13
Car: 92 s13 w/ sr20

i vote for the power fc. thats what im going to get when i get to that stage

Geno750

The power fc is a great box for what it was designed for, and that is street cars. The haltech E8 would be the system I'd suggest if your looking for something at the power fc, aem ems price levels. The haltech is a more powerful system than the apexi power fc, but the downside is it isn't a straight up plug in play unit, and the learning curve is steeper than with the power fc.

R32MS
Car: HCR32 Skyline, RPS13 180SX

HKS FCON V PRO is probably best, but is the most expensive, both parts and tune

White Comet
Car: fc, s13 and mazda6, Sierra

im prolly just going reflashed ecu and apexi neo

Geno750

R32MS wrote:HKS FCON V PRO is probably best, but is the most expensive, both parts and tune
Yea, for you guys in Japan. Us unfortunate people who don't live near the only place that tunes that box in the US (California) have to seek other solutions.

Slipstream
Car: '94 Sonoma, '90 300zx n/a

Is the HKS F-Con V Gen 2 a stand alone? I seen it on ebay, but can't find it on their website?

usncorpsman
Car: 02 S15 Silvia
13 Ford Raptor

So AEM wont work with the sr?

usncorpsman
13 Ford Raptor

bump...cause i need to know too... will aem not work?

Tr0uble

06krf150 wrote:bump...cause i need to know too... will aem not work?
As I've stated in the first post, Its very buggy with Nissans.Lemme see if i can find the tech link over at the AEM EMS forums.

Also thanks guys. Broadfield Prob gonna do that with the MAP eff the MAF bs. MAF is the least accurate out of all the air measuring devices.

Tr0uble

06krf150 wrote:So AEM wont work with the sr?
06krf150 wrote:bump...cause i need to know too... will aem not work?
http://forum.aempower.com/foru....html

Quote:

"AEM,

Please take a look through all the topics on the first page in the Nissan forum!

We have a problem with all of the 4 cyl Nissan box's and have since I bought one of the first 2.5 years ago. I have been in touch with tech support with no fix's. I have offered to trailer my Nissan Altima KA-T to AEM on my dime, for them to do more R&D - No response!

It seems 90% of us are having the same problems with low-load stumbling and missing. We have all tried the supposed "fixs" posted in this forum with no luck. Why are we not getting the support we deserve?

Brian"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems from almost 3yrs again to present there has been bugs with AEM EMS and the techs fail to want to address the issue.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Quote from AEM EMS user:

this are all mostly related to the sync issues and then the only help the aem software give is;

"we will not go into the trigger systems because that are advanced "_PLEASE USE THE WIZARDS_

but then there IS NOT any wizard setting that works with my car, and thats how it goes for most.so if we now are supposed to do this calibration orselves, then we at least need info on how to!!

this have already cost me halv the price of the EMS, because it aint/cant be, setup right...that meaning other systems would be alot cheaper to get up running, and then i could enjoy my car on the road long ago instead of in the garage..

so if they are to sell this box for theese cars... then they MUST do something, or else in short time all owners of such cars will off course be told to stay away, and that aint good for anyone now is it..----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's why I'm not going for AEM EMS.aka "Stay Away"

SEARCH BUTTON FTW!

usncorpsman
13 Ford Raptor

ok...i kept reading down and another post said this

"i honestly think it may be the swaps gone wrong or something else...

i have installed probably 20 nissan ems's in the last year and the only problem i had was fixed when we went through the car and fixed a botched sr20 swap. you can seriously **** up those swaps and they will still run on the stock ecu.... not so w/the aem... everything has to be right. i know on the r32 gtr it takes nearly an act of god for that car to throw a CEL on the stock ecu and it always seems to run fine no matter what. the rear MAF was gone and the ect wasnt working at all when we swapped to the aem, but no cel from the stock ecu... replaced the parts and everything worked perfect.

i dont even know how many sr20's we have done, 3 r32 gtr's, several rb20/25 swaps in s13's, etc. And never a single problem. i know i cant be that lucky.."

and also this...

"There aint so much trouble with the RWD sr20det`s that use 4coils and linear trigger cal.the problems get bad once your are on the fwd/4wd nissans that uses a Distrubutor single coil system."

Definately some more research needs to be done here...more people with AEM need to say something...cause right now i dunno what to think lol

Tr0uble

I haven't read anything bad for the Apexi Power FC with nissans.2 strikes for the AEM EMS though.

The other guy said he did 20 and they were fine. He's probably bs'in.What are the odds of a good many diff swaps having same exact problem.I read below too and saw that about the no problems with 20 swaps. Sounds like he's just promoting it. I just kept reading past that. Also that's not the only thread over at the AEM forums. That was just 1 good example.

Apexi for me.

usncorpsman
13 Ford Raptor

im just having issues here because the guy that will be doing the tuning is really good with AEM...so i just cant figure out what to do

Nismotouched

microtech is pretty decent had it for awhile and switched to AEM for a bit..

usncorpsman
13 Ford Raptor

How did the AEM work?

GTS4-R
Car: my feet

Well i will say AEM EMS....hands down BEST standalone out there!!! next up Haltech and then Apexi Power FC

Tr0uble

93Niss240 wrote:Well i will say AEM EMS....hands down BEST standalone out there!!! next up Haltech and then Apexi Power FC
You must have never heard of Motech.....

tunermt
Car: s13 ka-t running AEM EMS v1, Gallant VR4 Running AEM EMSv2, S2k waiting for the Haltech

With so many years of development there are now some truly amazing Plug n Play ECU options for the SR20det, SR20VE and sr20de. Over the years i've had the pleasure of working with all of these particular ecu's on a large number for cars both SR powered and not. For anyone looking to upgrade to a SR20 standalone ECU I would highly suggest having a read through this article: Best SR20 ECU options

Those that don't want all the details here is a list copy and pasted from the article.
Haltech Elite 1500 S13
Haltech Elite 1500 S14/S15
Motec M130 SR20det (All versions SR20 including VVL)
Link ECU S13 Silvia and 180sx 76 pin ECU
Link ECU S15/S14/S13 64 pin ECU

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”