Best setup for street/highway & thoughts on new $750 TEIN Damper Kit

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Garage Battle
Car: 180sx

swap in progress, going into an s13 coupe.

I want a suspension with a 1.5-2" drop that will enhance looks but still be liveable with for daily driver. Either downspring & strut or coilover...trying to keep the cost down.

I need better handling over stock, but not too rough. Just a good suspension that would rock at 150+ and still be good enough for a date.

Lastly, any thoughts on the new TEIN Basic Damper setup coming out for $750?? streetable enough? TIA!!!

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

You're planning on driving 150+ mph and you want to cut costs on you modifications?:eek:

raging panda
Car: s13 coupe

Yo Garage Battle, from wangan midnight too right? I havent seen anything about the Tein basic but I assume theyre somewhat like the flex, not meant for heavy racing and such. just my assumption. someone correct me if im wrong. As for suspension for not a lot of money, maybe some tein s-tech and gr2 struts.

Garage Battle

Dori Dori wrote:You're planning on driving 150+ mph and you want to cut costs on you modifications?:eek:

not trying to cut costs but keep the costs down. I dont need a TEIN HE setup...i dont need the adjustability, the harshness, etc....its sketchy driving in a car with over firm suspension real fast on the highway...hits the bumps too hard, etc. I need somethin that will take the bumps in stride.

Im looking for a spring/strut combo that will offer good ride quality but reduce body roll and lower it a little. I plan on doing rear sway bar, full cage, etc...but its one of the things I want to do now while I have the car down.

And for the record, 150+ isnt a big deal...sounds like it but its not. Now over 175 or so and thats when things get interesting.

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

Garage Battle wrote:And for the record, 150+ isnt a big deal...

:bsface Actually, it is for you. Sorry dude, but you don't go 150mph in a stock KA24 motor.I really don't care how much of a hater you think I am, you're full of it.

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

hey ninja k 84, first of all garage battle is no stranger to fast and danger in cars.

second off, 150 is weak for cars here in tampa. we have quite a few that go well over that. i had two cars in my fleet that would clear 160 mph regularly.

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

well damn, a car that from the factory can only go bout 120 and u got it to go 150, thats an accomplishment right there, but to me it seems u want to totally different things, u want a full cage and such, but dont want too stiff of suspension??, and u want to safely be comfortable at 150+mph but want to keep cost down too??, i think maybe if u re-analyze ur plans better u may come up with a better solution, unless im jus totally misunderstanding u, and in which case, sorry

ninjak84

mattback wrote:second off, 150 is weak for cars here in tampa. we have quite a few that go well over that. i had two cars in my fleet that would clear 160 mph regularly.

Maybe you DO have cars to do over 150mph.But none of them are running stock KA engines. :rolleyes

Tai Mai Shu

what makes you believe he will have a stock KA? don't assume.

Garage Battle

I have an SR in my friends shop right now waiting for a new home (searching for the right base model coupe). I want to do the suspension while the car is down for swap, front conversion, paint, etc.

I dont plan auto-x'ing this car nor track racing it. It will be street driven and highway driven. Im trying to find a suspension combination that will make the car feel more secure at higher speeds without going into too harsh of a package.

I dont have the need to tweak it or set it up for track, etc, just want to make it more stable without breaking the bank. "Bang for the buck".

And if you dont know what a good suspension would be or your stuck on a NA KA with bolt ons then you might not be able to answer my question...so instead of criticizing me or trying to be 'cute' how about dont say anything.

to nlzmo400r: in the first setence i wrote 'swap in progress'

to ninjak84: in the first sentence i wrote 'swap in progress'

god would ricers please not reply to this ****ing post...dammit. And FYI if ur wondering why im looking for something that isnt to harsh is at higher speeds bumps hit a lot harder...and you dont have to spend tons of $$$ to get something effective if you research and make your purchases wisely.

Lastly I plan on keeping this project for a long time. Under the guidance of mattback (and possibly entharpy) I plan on building a short block (on the side) so I'll be able to put down 400 or so rwhp reliably and for duration type runs. Im also not above changing my gearing to get higher top speeds (I believe gear limit on SR/s13 is 186).

If you dont understand then stfu. Please.

Garage Battle

and just so u know my basic setup just to get the car running:

Supra TT I/CTrust 3" DPGreddy Elec BoostGreedy Elec Exhaust TempHKS PPSpec Stage III discWalboro 255ldaugherboard/chip'd ECU w/speed gov removed/MAF max settings

having a local guy come over and do new bearings for the motor to play it safe. The motor swap costs me nothing because i can do the work myself.

Is that setup above a highway setup? No. Its a cost effective way for me to get the car going and save money for a better setup. Please dont question my intentions or my knowledge or driving skill...not ur place ricer.

Dori Dori

If we are all such ricers, and your skillz as a driver and knowledge of automobiles is so vast, why are you even asking us any questions? You should already know the answers...especially with genius like mattback on your side.

You know what, you are so smart I have to ask you this question. If stiff suspensions are so unstable at high speeds, why are all the idiot race teams using spring rates that well exceed anything available to the general public? With your immense knowledge of vehicle dynamics and your masterful driving skillz, you should really immerse yourself in the professional racing world asap! Drivers lives are in jeopardy! 12hrs of Sebring is just around the corner...and you live in Florida. That track has a lot of bumps and uneven surfaces (I'm sure you know since you've probably driven it 100's of times)...now's your chance! Save those drivers before it's too late!!! Hell, even your idol Kuzuhiko Nagata uses stiff suspension settings! Save him too before you lose a hero!!!

Projekt

Garage Battle wrote: Under the guidance of mattback...

this is where i see the problems starting...... maybe you sould get a mentor who spends more time breathing air instead of having his head up his ***.

240_Keyy
Car: '90 240 Fastback

lol, 0wn3d by Projekt!!!

Anyway, to give you my honest opinion, I feel MUCH safer in my car with HE's and their spring rates and damping than I ever did with anything close to stock (i.e. Prokit, Sportlines, other "soft" stuff) Even driving at 115 the handling is very crisp, precise and responsive and the car doesn't make any kinds of strange movements. Having stiffer springs and valving give you a much better connection to the road and allows you to react to situations accordingly. You are so wrong about your suspension idea that it isn't even funny. With the proper valving even stiff springs aren't "harsh" as you like to call them, as with my HE's all you have to do when you want to cruise down the highway is decrease the damping and the ride is firm, but VERY far from "harsh". "Harshness" comes from springs that are mated to dampers that are not valved to the spring rates and are either too stiff (creating hard, jarring bumpiness) to too soft (creating a bouncy, possibly pillowy ride) Get your facts straight and then come play again homeskillet...

Soft suspension + High speeds = Not a good ideaStiff suspension + good valving + High speeds = the right choice

ninjak84

Garage Battle wrote:not ur place ricer.

Hahaha!Calling me a ricer? Good one. Hey, you're the one who came on here asking for the cheapest suspension you can find.Go cut your springs until you get off of welfare.

God, would inbreds please not log on to the internet?:rolleyes

240_Keyy

lol, just because he is an idiot doesn't mean that he is inbred :D

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

Not sure why guys feel the need to post this BS...this is one reason I've frequented the board less as of late. Sure you will find a couple of people more knowlegeable on the board, but not too many when it comes to certain aspects of the 240.

Calling people idiots who might well know more than you is not real smart. You call him an idiot, but you're the one who is married while in college...where you'll see more a$$ than any other time in your life and not be able to do a thing about it.

240_Keyy

ouch dude, now that was a low blow and there was absolutely no need for that. The smiley tag on the end of my sentence up there is supposed to represent humor and or sarcasm, your comment was just pure a s s h o l e 100%

BTW: I love my wife very much, we have been together for almost 7 years now and the only regret I have is that I wish I had married her sooner. And another thing, who gives a rats left testicle about SEEING a$$ when I can HAVE it every day or night of the week with a very beautiful woman? Don't you know that married people have more sex more times a year than people who are not married? And furthermore, this is the best thing that has ever happened to me because she loves cars almost as much as I do and SHE IS PAYING FOR MY SR SWAP!!!!!!

Stick that in your pipe an smoke it you coldhearted, sexless fv<ktool...

EDITED: because I cna't speel

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

It wasn't intended to be as harsh as you took it.

See what happens when you take something out of context?

That kind of crap happens on here far too often...I simply wanted to point that out. It's not fun having it happen to you.

One thing I've realized is that it's hard to get things across online the same as in person, so you have to allow some leeway. I admit, I am tired of people BSing on here like they know something, but I've got better things to do than call out everyone who's suspect. Let them do their own thing, because most likely they're too dense to ever realize how retarded they are and you'll just be wasting your time.

240_Keyy

word, no hard feelings man, I just try to help people on here as much as I can, I just add a little goodhearted smack talk every now and then :D

Projekt

geez who let all the women in. back to topic: cheap suspension! (my vote is for PDM's whiteline/AGX combo)

240_Keyy

lol, projekt you just had to keep swingin didn't you :)

Garage Battle

ninjak84 wrote:Hahaha!Calling me a ricer? Good one. Hey, you're the one who came on here asking for the cheapest suspension you can find.Go cut your springs until you get off of welfare.

God, would inbreds please not log on to the internet?:rolleyes

Im allocating $700-$800 for suspension.

And for everyone else babbling about stiff stiff blah blah take a stock Z32 for example. The car has a nice ride but is stable at very high speeds on stock suspension.

I dont want it to ride like a caddy...but I dont want a suspension setup thats too harsh for street usage.

And to answer fruit loops question above, i dont think race cars have the joy or going over speed bumps, seperations on concrete, etc....so no I dont want the super stiff.

JUST LOOKING FOR A REASONABLE UPGRADE OVER STOCK THAT WILL BE A MIDGROUND BETWEEN TRACK AND STREET.

ninjak84

Garage Battle wrote:JUST LOOKING FOR A REASONABLE UPGRADE OVER STOCK THAT WILL BE A MIDGROUND BETWEEN TRACK AND STREET.

Eibach Sportlines. Get the camber kit as well, and they should be good with stock shocks and struts, although I'd get new ones. APEX'i coilovers are suggested too.

NateDogg

Sportlines lower the car too much. For $700-800 I vote for PDM's combo as well.

However, I've ridden in Nimi's car with the Zeal B6's (at least 10/8 kg/mm) and I was very impressed at how smooth it took bumps.

Dori Dori

Garage Battle wrote:its sketchy driving in a car with over firm suspension real fast on the highway...hits the bumps too hard, etc. I need somethin that will take the bumps in stride.

Garage Battle wrote:And to answer fruit loops question above, i dont think race cars have the joy or going over speed bumps, seperations on concrete, etc....so no I dont want the super stiff.

Oh, I see. So you have speed bumps on the highways in tampa and there are no seperations of concrete on racetracks then right?:rolleyes

You still haven't answered my question. If stiff suspensions are bad for high speeds (like you said!), why does every road race car in the world use them? Enlighten me.:)

Projekt

Garage Battle wrote:And for everyone else babbling about stiff stiff blah blah take a stock Z32 for example. The car has a nice ride but is stable at very high speeds on stock suspension.

so somehow a stock (sports car) suspension has to be both soft and smooth? and i'm sure that extra 500-700 lbs isn't helping any to smooth the ride out.....

240_Keyy

I still say if you are going to be doing 150mph you shouldn't cut any corners on anything. At those speeds it is life or death. What you need is some good stiff springs mated to some well dampened struts...

Dori Dori

^exact-a-mundo!:)

Garage Battle

Projekt wrote:so somehow a stock (sports car) suspension has to be both soft and smooth? and i'm sure that extra 500-700 lbs isn't helping any to smooth the ride out.....

the car has a solid feel to the suspension without being harsh.

I had AGX's on my Infiniti G20 a while back with stock springs, and the car road way to rough (ex. hit the raised painted lines in a road and hit pretty annoying) even with the suspension adjusted to soft.

Im not about slamming my car, etc, but im trying to upgrade my suspension to give a better overall firmness to the ride.

But instead of criticizing, just give me examples of what you've personally owned and your thoughts on it. thanks!

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”