Best rims brand......

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Dammit1323
Car: 91 Nissan 240sx S13 Coupe

Hi everyone!
In your opinion whats your favorite rims brand? I'm looking some rims for my s13 coupe. I was thinking good quality rims thats worth the money (gram lights, enkei, work emotion, etc). I am more into track/street rims.

What do you ladies/gentlemens prefer?

Also, I'm curious what brands should i stay away from?

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

This will end bad.....

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

IBTFS

Fenris
Car: 2011 Subaru WRX
1989 Nissan 240SX

Anything Rays, or RPF1's or FNorc's

danshaz82

ib4rota/xxr

slidestyle69
Car: 92 s13

I have some super sweet never seen Rotas on my coupe but i dont recommend buying that brand or XXR. Search the classifieds and you can scoop some good name brand wheels up on a decent price usually.

Drakelee
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx RB20det
1986 Mazda RX7:for sale
1997 Ford Ranger:PitTruck<3

They are called wheels, this isn't a rap video. I have been with moderately priced wheels and tires since I started driving (Drifz, Azul, Motegi, xxr) Some better quality stuff IMO would be Work, Tenzo, BBS, TSW. Personally, being that I now have a real job and am no longer a broke college student I will be purchasing a set of CCW's this spring for my hatch.

ashibah83
Car: 93 SUPA BLACK COUPE

i can haz reems????

Don Nguyen

I like Volks.

95zenki man

XXR is the one and knly best brand around!!!!

On the real tho what kindof stupid question is that? yo get what you pay for...if your really worried about 3 or 4 lbs and having the "fan boys" all over your nut hugers go buy some $3k+ works or te37se's if you drive your car every day and want something that will look good and get you from a-b go pay 350 for some xxrs and another 300 for tires and have yourself a full set of wheels and tires for what one te37 would cost.

Just my .02 take it or leave it.

Zenki out!

HellaFlushSR20s13
Car: 91 s13 Coupe
S13 Sr20det red top

Dayton's homie... Gold 100 spoke Dayton's... Or some dubs

On a serious note, any rim is the best rim provided that its sturdy, has the right offset, and allows you to get the most amount of traction available. Honestly who cares about the brand name and how it looks IMO as long as it functions properly performs well and doesnt look rediculous, because after all you wanna be riding in style so long as it doesnt take away from performance

krash

HellaFlushSR20s13 wrote:Dayton's homie... Gold 100 spoke Dayton's... Or some dubs

On a serious note, any rim is the best rim provided that its sturdy, has the right offset, and allows you to get the most amount of traction available. Honestly who cares about the brand name and how it looks IMO as long as it functions properly performs well and doesnt look rediculous, because after all you wanna be riding in style so long as it doesnt take away from performance
Well I wouldn't go that far. For street purposes, yea you pretty much need to look worry about size and design. But there is definitely a reason forged wheels are more expensive.

Fenris
Car: 2011 Subaru WRX
1989 Nissan 240SX

Yes, cheap wheels will roll around from A to B, But rota's and to a lesser but similer extent xxr wheels break.

Try it now, google rota wheels and hit images. How many broken wheels show up? i can pick of 7 pics right off the bat.

Volk TE37's are pricy.

Enkei RPF1's are pricy.

5Zigen FN01R-C's are pricy.

All are very good, all will run into the thousands before tires, and if you care, all will improve lap times compared to stock wheels or cheaper heavier wheels.

But, there are also great mid range options or cheaper wheels. Enkei for sure has entry level cheap wheels, Volk maybe not. Motegi makes a decent wheel, Falken made good wheels. A good, stylish, non-expensive wheel is a MB Battle.

http://www.amazon.com/MB-Wheels-Battle- ... B003SLENLA - $185 brand new per wheel, 9.5 inch wide, 17"

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... %2FMinivan
Same wheel, $164

Last week, on ebay a set of Rays Volk Superfine Meshies, 16"s went for $370(+$50 shipping) on ebay. Twenty year old OG rays jdm light weight meshies for pennies. good wheels can come cheap if you shop around.

$800+ship for some original rays volk 17's. I have these in 16's and they are super light.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-JDM-VOLK-R ... 415c281ae1

800+ ship for rays meshies
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-16-VOLK-RAC ... 1c2309e25b

Morph
Car: 91 Sr Powered Coupe

Uh seriously we are still beating this Rota horse thing huh. Wheels will break if you put enough stress on them ALL wheels. f*** google broken Volk and bunches of pics will pop up OMFG dont buy VOLK they are teh sux. Rotas, XXR, Work, Volk, etc are all good wheels and you cant go wrong with any of them.

Go with what you can afford /thread.

HellaFlushSR20s13
Car: 91 s13 Coupe
S13 Sr20det red top

krash wrote:
HellaFlushSR20s13 wrote:Dayton's homie... Gold 100 spoke Dayton's... Or some dubs

Well I wouldn't go that far. For street purposes, yea you pretty much need to look worry about size and design. But there is definitely a reason forged wheels are more expensive.
Uhhh I would go that far... I had a set of sportmax 17x9" all around on my last s13 and I beat the hell outa them, never had an issue aside from the clear coat blemishing... On the other side my buddy with his scooby was able to snap all 5 spokes of his forged wheels in one go driving down the freeway and slamming it into lower gear to race some fool

Ya s*** happens all the time, one day ur rim might snap but at least if u went with a cheaper set you're not having to break the bank to replace ur wheel on top of fixing everything else

Razi
Car: Moo

I remember back in the day before the newer kids showed up, everyone had FN01RCs because for under 1k you could buy 17x10 wheels with nice offsets.
I see some people spending $800 for a set of Rotas, when for the same amount or less you can buy some 5Zigen FN01RCs or for $200 more you can buy some super super light Enkei RPF-1s.
It's like people forgot you can buy legit wheels for 1k or less, and talk as if all legit wheels are going to be $2k for a set.
Same with people getting too impatient to save up a few hundred more for some $1k range coilovers.
In terms of car parts that are in the high hundreds, $200 isn't such a big mountain to climb.
Stuff costs money, just save up a little more, no need to be in such a hurry.

krash

HellaFlushSR20s13 wrote:
Uhhh I would go that far... I had a set of sportmax 17x9" all around on my last s13 and I beat the hell outa them, never had an issue aside from the clear coat blemishing... On the other side my buddy with his scooby was able to snap all 5 spokes of his forged wheels in one go driving down the freeway and slamming it into lower gear to race some fool

Ya s*** happens all the time, one day ur rim might snap but at least if u went with a cheaper set you're not having to break the bank to replace ur wheel on top of fixing everything else
Never said anything about breaking. Forged wheels are lighter and stronger. When seconds and fractions of seconds matter, these things matter.

For daily driving? Doesn't matter too much. If you're doing something on the street that causes your wheels to break, you have bigger things to worry about.
Fenris wrote:Yes, cheap wheels will roll around from A to B, But rota's and to a lesser but similer extent xxr wheels break.

Try it now, google rota wheels and hit images. How many broken wheels show up? i can pick of 7 pics right off the bat.
This is the problem with the internet. Everyone becomes anal about things that really don't matter. Rotas don't just randomly break. XXR's dont just randomly break. You can't just make wheels that break in your basement and sell them to people. They have to be certified before they can be sold to the public. Both Rota and XXR wheels are JWL and VIA certified.

Also, a Yukon slammed into my quarter panel and wheel a few weeks ago and my XXRs didn't explode.

The reason forged wheels are better is that they are stronger than cast wheels while being lighter. This doesn't mean cast wheels will randomly break. Most OEM cars come with cast wheels unless stated otherwise. I know Nissan likes to let you know that you have forged wheels by stamping FORGED on the lip :chuckle:
Razi wrote: I see some people spending $800 for a set of Rotas, when for the same amount or less you can buy some 5Zigen FN01RCs or for $200 more you can buy some super super light Enkei RPF-1s.
I agree, Rotas are way overpriced. I'd be buying some RPF1s instead of P45s on any given day :biggrin: I'd love some RPF1's, they're my dream wheels. But I didn't have 1k to spend on wheels at the time ( I actually considered buying one RPF1 every two months :rotflmao). But my XXRs fit a decent size tire and only weigh a hair more than fns.

LoserCard
Car: Forest Green 1993 240SX SE Fastback

Here's a cool concept: Figure out what design you like best, then find brands that make those designs.

Just make sure the wheel you're getting doesn't weight 30lbs unless you want hardcore bling... And don't forget about used wheels. I picked up my used Weds Sport TC-005's for $800 shipped and they are in excellent condition. If you know Weds prices, that's a steal. So don't overlook used wheel shopping.

Dammit1323

Thanks everyone for replying! I was having trouble finding rims for my car. I am afraid if i buy them, and somehow they just break on me. But then again it depends on the person who takes care of them. I would love to get my hands on some gram lights 57d's, but it will cost me a fortune. I kinda like the enkei RPF1's. But i want something similar as 57d. If i have no choice since those wheels (enkei) are really good. I would get them. Just cant wait till i get my refund (taxes).

Dammit1323

Also one more thing i forgot to mention. Why do some ppl do a 5 lug conversion? Besides more wheel selection. Does it performs better? Is it worth it?

krash

5-lug swap gives you a better wheels selection, thats about it. if you're looking at volks, gram lights, or any high end wheels, you're going to want 5-lug. 5-lug also gives you a nice selection of OEM wheels to choose from too.

elitefew22197
Car: S13 Fastback

Has anyone had any experiences with varrstoens? The 2.2.0(TE37 KO) in particular?

95zenki man

Varrs makes a good knock off. A lot of 350 guys run them and pretty much everyone i have talked to that has had them has never had any problems with them.

Side note. Whats with everyone taking my damn ava? Every time i change it someone shows up and bam i end up having to change it again :-(

elitefew22197
Car: S13 Fastback

95zenki man wrote:Varrs makes a good knock off. A lot of 350 guys run them and pretty much everyone i have talked to that has had them has never had any problems with them.

Side note. Whats with everyone taking my damn ava? Every time i change it someone shows up and bam i end up having to change it again :-(
Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus. Also, my ava seems very redundant now... :facepalm:

leesredgt
Car: 1992 Toyota MR2 N/A
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

I gota set of rotas with brand new tires in them and i only paid 800. I think i did decent.

S133P3R
Car: 1989 S13 240sx

ROTAS ALL DAY FTW

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”