Best/Most cost effective manual transmission swap

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
tjleilo
Car: 1993 300zx Natrually Aspirated. TT fuel pump, new style injectors, basic bolt ons with Jim Wolf ECU upgrade, EGR delete.

I have an auto transmission in my 300zx at the moment and I hope to soon swap a manual in. I do basic work on my car in the engine bay usually, but I don’t exactly have the tools or space to swap out a transmission.

What would be the best MANUAL transmission to swap into my 300zx? And what would you estimate the price to be? Any places you recommend to buy a manual transmission that would be in good shape? I have plans to make this car run around 500hp in the future, but at the moment it’s just pushing a little over stock on a good day.
I don’t mind swapping a 350z transmission in or something that isn’t a 300zx transmission. I just want a good reliable transmission that can handle decent horsepower numbers and may be the most cost effective choice.
I live in Orlando Florida by the way, I don’t know if that would make a difference.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

The most cost effective will definitely be to go with a Z32 trans, they are very strong, there are people running upto 900chp on factory boxes. The work is not that involved and anyone with basic mechanical skills and a good diy guide can do it. I don't know any shops in FL so I cant make a recommendation, what I can recommend is that you search Nico and google for Z32 manual swap guides because there are many. As for parts, the cheapest option would be to find a wrecked manual car or one with a blown engine and strip everything off of it because doing it piecemeal will cost more.

tjleilo
Car: 1993 300zx Natrually Aspirated. TT fuel pump, new style injectors, basic bolt ons with Jim Wolf ECU upgrade, EGR delete.

NolimitZ32 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:15 am
The most cost effective will definitely be to go with a Z32 trans, they are very strong, there are people running upto 900chp on factory boxes. The work is not that involved and anyone with basic mechanical skills and a good diy guide can do it. I don't know any shops in FL so I cant make a recommendation, what I can recommend is that you search Nico and google for Z32 manual swap guides because there are many. As for parts, the cheapest option would be to find a wrecked manual car or one with a blown engine and strip everything off of it because doing it piecemeal will cost more.
Great information, thanks!
There are many different manual trans that came with the 300zx I believe. Which one is strong like that? Is it the TT manual transmission? I know there is a difference between the NA manual and the TT manual. I also believe there is a different TT manual for the 96+ (The ones made in Japan past 96 I believe had a different transmission too)
Which one can support those numbers you said above?

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

All the internal gears of the Z32 manual trans were the same 1990-2000, with the exception of "better" syncos in the 1998+. Diff between NA and TT are the bell housing machining to fit the larger TT clutch (starter postion too). Difference with the 96+ is that additional sensor.

An NA trans will fit a NA clutch assembly and can be modified to fit a TT clutch ( small grinding inside the housing and starter shim) .
Typically A TT trans will only fit a TT clutch ( unless you want to machine the starter mount location down to fit a NA clutch)

As Nolimit suggested finding a donor car is most cost effective especially an NA model in your case.

tjleilo

Okay great! Thanks! I’ll look into an NA manual transmission then.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”