Best hp bang for the buck

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Bfish
Car: 1993 Nissan 300zx twin turbo manual tran

I am finally a proud owner of a 1993 300z tt and I am wondering what is the best bang for the buck for more hp.....I have about 2k the car is 100% stock mint with 71k on it

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Maintain it in original, unmolested condition.

It was a formidable car in its day. Don't do anything you can't reverse - it's a classic, and $2k won't do much except hurt the value.

Intake and exhaust (I like Z1) would be a nice upgrade, and reversible.

Bfish

I was thinking of doing the z1 400 power pack and that's about it also new brakes rims and maybe coilovers. I want a reliable car with some good pep.

Bfish

I like the z1 3 inch exhaust but I'm worried it will be very loud and I will like to take the car for long cruises

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Bfish wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:03 am
I was thinking of doing the z1 400 power pack and that's about it also new brakes rims and maybe coilovers. I want a reliable car with some good pep.
The stock suspension is quite good.. I have seen too many coilovers that were done terrible, especially if your budget is 2 k for everything..

My recommendation:
- replace shocks all around, by now they probably need it unless previous owner had them done.... many shock upgrades are less $$ than OEM.
- New pads on the brakes.. can be upgraded pads.. but consider doing a period correct brake pad upgrade.. like MetalMatrix pads. They were available in the 90s.. And then just add high end brake fluid.
- I think AAM might make highflow cats for these. If your stock exhaust is in good shape consider leaving exhaust stock and just doing the hiflow cats..
- Aftermarket "Rims" eat up money and add little except (usually) weight and fragility.. All but the most expensive new wheels and tire combos are not as good as the stock wheels. The stock wheels are light ,strong and have true roundness.. unless u go with 5zigen wheels... they are light and decent quality for the money... but usually made for lighter cars if memory serves.

But I agree with Greg.. I would leave as is.. or maybe a very very light touch .. New upgraded shocks, New tires on the stock wheels, Upgraded brake pads. Thats 2 k right there.

Bfish

Yeah those sound like great ideas.....the car has 4 brand new tires on it already brakes are in good condition.....I want to get a hicas delete kit as I hear they cause issues especially when traveling on bumpy roads....I'm not sure what the different trim levels were on the 300z back in the day but I would assume this one has them all.....ivory paint chrome stock rims leather interior etc. This was a virginia car never saw salt garage kept imo a true diamond in the rough took me 7 months to find it.....i just wanted to push a little more hp out of it but not crazy and get a new exhaust for a little better sound.........what are your guys thoughts on the z1 400 power pack????????

Return to “General Chat”