Best fuel economy you've gotten on your Pathfinder?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
nobb

With gas prices the way they are now coupled with the fact that the Pathfinder is a gas guzzler and takes premium, I thought it would be interesting to see what's the best fuel economy you guys have achieved with your Pathfinder? Maybe you hypermile your Pathfinder or have done modifications to boost the fuel economy above the rated 14/18 city/hwy? Would love to hear your comments.

Here's my findings. I've got a 2001 R50 Pathfinder with the VQ35DE engine. Was getting about 14-15 MPG city three months ago. Then I made the following changes:

1) Did a tune up by cleaning out the air filter, ran a bottle of fuel system cleaner through, and also cleaned out the MAF.
2) Changed the oil to 10W30. I have some jugs of 5W20 synthetic that I bought cheap on boxing day, may consider switching to these on the next change.
3) Boosted my tire pressure from 30 PSI cold to 36 PSI (max is 44 for my particular tires)...with no real noticeable difference in handling or ride quality. The front tires still appear to sag slightly due to the weight, not sure if that's because the sidewalls on my particular tires are soft. Might increase the pressure on the front tires even further due to this.
4) Removed the roof rack and spare tire (it's heavy!). Was debating whether to remove the rear spoiler, but I figure it may improve economy since it directly air flow downwards which could create a turbulent wake region behind the vehicle at high speeds reducing drag.
5) Lastly, I started paying more attention to my driving habits. This includes letting go of the peddle as soon as the light turns red and also minimize revving past 2.5k when accelerating. Would be curious to see if anyone knows what's the optimal rpms for efficiency.

That's it. Now I get about 18-19 MPG consistently in city driving. Sometimes 17 MPG if it's a cold week and I idle a bit more. Ive ran regular instead of premium a few times and have not really noticed any affect on MPGs. Next goal is to break 20.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

There's a similar thread here.

I find not running A/C except when required (i.e. heat on, to dehumidify air to prevent windows from fogging up) improves my miles per tank from 250-260 (to gas light) to 290-295. Windows down until 50-60mph, then windows up + blower motor (no A/C).

Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

You've done pretty much what I have, even taking out the spare...

All I can add is that you might want to change the transmission fluid too while you're at it.

Also I have this little gadget called a Scangauge that indicates (what is rough but only off by about 10%,) my fuel economy.What I have found is that the optimal speed is about 60-70 km/h at about 1450RPM. Incidentley, only the city's speed limit accomidates this but has frequent stops (burning more fuel). Whereas the hiway has no stops but a higher limit, burning more fuel (and I don't want to drive 20 under the limit).

waxfree
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4
1998 BMW 328I

recently did plugs, air filter, oil change and fuel filter. did a 100mile highway cruise at 70-75mph and got 22.5. not bad for a heavy 9 year old suv with 130k miles on it.

tbsbiker2
Car: 2001 SE Pathfinder

I'm lucky to crest 13-14 MPG ALL city driving but I have a really crappy commute 12 miles all side streets and stop signs unless I want to go way out of my way...best way to get to work is actually by Bicycle (in sales so it's hard to ride all the time but it takes the same or less time by bike)...none the less best MPG Ive seen combined City and metro hwy is 17 maybe 18 if I've gotten a chance to be on the HWY at a smooth longer clip.

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Chris.m wrote:You've done pretty much what I have, even taking out the spare...

All I can add is that you might want to change the transmission fluid too while you're at it.

Also I have this little gadget called a Scangauge that indicates (what is rough but only off by about 10%,) my fuel economy.What I have found is that the optimal speed is about 60-70 km/h at about 1450RPM. Incidentley, only the city's speed limit accomidates this but has frequent stops (burning more fuel). Whereas the hiway has no stops but a higher limit, burning more fuel (and I don't want to drive 20 under the limit).
Where did you mount it? I was thinking of buying one of those a while ago, the only decent place that I could think of putting it without it looking like an eyesore would be on top of the steering column.

Any quotes on what kind of mileage you get at certain speeds? How much does driving 90km/h vs. 100km/h vs. 110km/h vs. 120km/h kill your fuel economy? I have a few freeway options when driving home from various places, would be nice to know some figures without dishing out $150 for a Scangauge.

Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

I mounted it in the pull-out drawer by the fusebox to the left of the steering wheel. It's a bit of an awkward place purpose-wise as I have to look through the steering wheel, but I hate the bulky look of putting it anywhere else.

I'll try to look at the numbers closer (I only remeber the jist) and get back to you in a while.

Pathfound49
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder
2005 Volvo XC90
1999 Volvo S70

waxfree wrote:recently did plugs, air filter, oil change and fuel filter. did a 100mile highway cruise at 70-75mph and got 22.5. not bad for a heavy 9 year old suv with 130k miles on it.
Huh?

Don't believe that is possible. Was that behind a tow truck?

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Pathfound49 wrote:
waxfree wrote:recently did plugs, air filter, oil change and fuel filter. did a 100mile highway cruise at 70-75mph and got 22.5. not bad for a heavy 9 year old suv with 130k miles on it.
Huh?

Don't believe that is possible. Was that behind a tow truck?
I've had similar figures, but only on a long, downhill drive out of the Rocky Mountains. Never on level ground. I think the most I've gotten on level ground was 20mpg or so.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”