Best cat-back for a Maxima?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Zach95SE

Ok im lookin at exhausts and I always heard people on the .org talkin about warpspeed y pipes but im gonna buy a cat back first. Im lookin to get a Greddy SP2 is that one of the best ones out there or is there something else good to get?

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Welcome to NICO Zach!:jazz:

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Fred..:)

cullenj76
Car: 99 Q45t 04 SRT-4

Zach95SE wrote:Ok im lookin at exhausts and I always heard people on the .org talkin about warpspeed y pipes but im gonna buy a cat back first. Im lookin to get a Greddy SP2 is that one of the best ones out there or is there something else good to get?
If it is power you are looking for, you MUST get a y-pipe. If you are looking for a nice good-sounding prefabricated exhaust, the SP2 is a great choice.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

I'd be all over the SP2 if they made them for the 97-99's. The sound clips that I've heard are beautiful!

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

If you have the money.... GET SOME headers :D

Zach95SE

Yeah this place seems pretty good and its always workin thats a plus...I am going to get a Y pipe probably next week but i heard that if you get a Y pipe without the cat back sometimes it sounds a little raspy maybe thats not true but i have the money for the cat back now and I think ill get that first... If i got headers then theres no point in a Y pipe right? How much is a good set of those?

phenryiv1
Car: 2003 Sentra SE-R SpecV

Get a y-pipe and resonated b-pipe with stock cat and back. Most of your gains from exhaust mods come from freeing up HP in the Y&B regions of the stock piping. If you are looking for sound, than worry about the catback, but I would spend that money elsewhere.

Ferbs02SMMax

Zach95SE wrote:Yeah this place seems pretty good and its always workin thats a plus...I am going to get a Y pipe probably next week but i heard that if you get a Y pipe without the cat back sometimes it sounds a little raspy maybe thats not true but i have the money for the cat back now and I think ill get that first... If i got headers then theres no point in a Y pipe right? How much is a good set of those?

Ypipe without catback will make your car raspier, but it won't be loud and obnoxious. When I put Cattman ypipe on my Max, it had a soft growl which wasn't there with stock exhaust collecter.You will hear a different tone, and be rewarded when you hit it up top though. I've heard for the 4th gen's the ypipe is a must though.

Headers will set you back at least $600, pre labor. These will make your car considerably louder and the drive will be less refined. But if its more pep, headers and exhaust is the way to go as was already mentioned.

Good luck!

Zach95SE

Yeah I think im gonna go ahead and get the Greddy SP2 and next week ill get a Y pipe. Thanks for the help

phenryiv1

Zach95SE wrote:Yeah I think im gonna go ahead and get the Greddy SP2 and next week ill get a Y pipe. Thanks for the help

I would do that in the opposite order.

Ghettokracker71

Yeah,I'd do headers (if possible) then Y pipe,then ...

phenryiv1

Ghettokracker71 wrote:Yeah,I'd do headers (if possible) then Y pipe,then ...

Headers on the maxima are not like headers on other nissans. They are relatively new, fairly expensive, and affect daily driveability, from all reports.

Zach95SE

Ehh headers are out unless I get another car for daily driving. I ordered the Cat Back and the Y pipe at the same time so whenever I get them they will be on and ill let you know how I like it

phenryiv1

Which y-pipe did you decide to go with?

Zach95SE

I got a warpspeed only because I haven't really heard anything bad about them yet.

phenryiv1

That is what I run- not a bad setup by any means.

nothingstoofast

tip...... everything for $600 for third gen and $650 for the 4th gen (plus shipping)

warpspeed y-pipemagnaflow hi-flow catb-pipe w/ resonatoralso choice of muffler( i prefer magnaflow)

all bolt on from warpspeed performance. i have these on my car and it made a ton of difference especially that y-pipe (3rd gen is incredibly restrictive stock)

http://warpspeedperformance.com/

i would say buy them through me from my store but it would end up being the same price anyways. just call them up and you will have a great bolt on exhaust for good price. or even if you only want to do the y-pipe only. you get your choice of stainless or standard piping.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Isnt BRM working on a cat back for the Max?Judging from the rave reviews their SPEC-V and 240 exhausts have gotten here, it should be real nice.

Fred..:)

Zach95SE

Haha i'm new to the whole Maxima thing I've only had trucks and Jeeps and good brands are different throughout the different markets so I would have no clue what brands are good. How is BRM compared with Greddy?

cullenj76

I think BRM backed out of the 4th gen cat-back production. I could be wrong but I believe I remember someone telling me this.

maxhopper

Yes, production of the BRM cat-back has been put on hold. They are looking for a 4th gen in southern Florida to do testing/fitment.

Zach95SE

Does anyone know what kind of sound I would be looking at when i'm all done with the Greddy Cat back and the Warpspeed Ypipe it won't be high pitched and obnoxious right?

maxhopper

http://www.ceasarschariot.com/index.html used to have sound clips of different exhaust systems, but I can't find them at the moment. Try a google search(?).

phenryiv1

Well, the thing abotu the 4th gen is that the cat-back really does not do much for the 4th gen. Most gains in 4th gen exhaust are made through the Y and B pipes.

cullenj76

phenryiv1 wrote:Well, the thing abotu the 4th gen is that the cat-back really does not do much for the 4th gen. Most gains in 4th gen exhaust are made through the Y and B pipes.
To expand on that a little...

B-pipe is a cat-back, minus the muffler section. The only real bad section in the 4th gen OEM exhaust is the bend above the rear axle(beam). They are all bent or crimped pretty badly and not for the purpose of squeezing out torque like old BMW 318s.

Ghettokracker71

phenryiv1 wrote:Headers on the maxima are not like headers on other nissans. They are relatively new, fairly expensive, and affect daily driveability, from all reports.

My bad man! I was thinking about the NPM altima when I posted that,oh well.

Best of luck to the original poster...POST A ****ING SOUND CLIP AND PICS WHEN YOU FINALLY GET IT!!!! :)

EDIT:I love the way the 3.0/3.5(what year is yours?) sounds,love it.

Zach95SE

Mine is a 95

Ill definitly post up some sound clips and pictures but im not sure how everyone does sound clips if someone want to tell me ill do it up.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”